La Romana...filthy..so sad

Sep 4, 2012
La Romana used to look clean and well maintained compared to many Dominican cities. In contrast, Higuey is looking much cleaner these days.

Proportional to financial gains and turism, hence the case of Higuey. La Romana used to be huge for turism and sugar cane factories owned by American interest in the past.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Its pretty much the same in Cuba and Mexico. They seem to clean in spurts. Probably gets cleaned really good when a higher up politician with free jeepetas comes to visit.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Yeah, I mentioned how clean Higuey was about a month ago and no one believed me. I saw trucks with Haitians almost every day changing out dumpsters and public garbage cans chained to telephone polls. The mayor has a campaign going on with her face on the side of the garbage trucks. One spot had three dumpsters in a row and I think they're all changed out at least once a week. After the cowboy festival, they did a good job cleaning up the place, though it took a couple days. The park in front of the Basilica gets lots of litter, but they seem to clean that regularly as well. Garbage cans get used when they have them..

Peter.
they did a great job cleaning up all the tons of garbage the stu's from the church event threw out everywhere in the first place.
it looks nice after the clean uo,
but such did not change anything on those people`s behavior to throw their empty juice styropor cups a few meters away from the next trashcan, jut on the grounds where they finished their drinket.
cleaning up after a event is of course important,
but more important would be to educate the people about the great purpose of a trashcan in the first place.

Mike

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Peter.
they did a great job cleaning up all the tons of garbage the stu's from the church event threw out everywhere in the first place.
it looks nice after the clean uo,
but such did not change anything on those people`s behavior to throw their empty juice styropor cups a few meters away from the next trashcan, jut on the grounds where they finished their drinket.
cleaning up after a event is of course important,
but more important would be to educate the people about the great purpose of a trashcan in the first place.

Mike

i posted before that i went to Nagua a few weeks ago, and stopped at a restaurant for something to eat. this was not a comedor, but a real restaurant, with waiters and a head waiter. a guy ordered a bottle of water, and when he poured it into the glass, he threw the bottle on the floor. you cannot fix that kind of thinking. you can just be prepared to pick up behind him.

May 29, 2006
what happened when the sanitation guys went on strike in NYC was that the garbage bags piles up into mountains on the sidewalks. the stuff was still bagged. it is not like what happens here, where the stuff is just all over the place.

True, but a roll of good bags in NYC is chump change. To spend a half day's pay on 20 or 30 bags you're only throw out would be insane. Before curbside pickup became popular in the US, most suburban homes had a small backyard incinerator, though plastic wasn't much of they burned. I'm paying $20/month and $2/can, and with recycling and composting, I barely need two pick ups a month. That incinerator idea is starting to look pretty good again..

Last edited:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Proportional to financial gains and turism, hence the case of Higuey. La Romana used to be huge for turism and sugar cane factories owned by American interest in the past.

tourism in la romana is today's bigger than ever, and still rising.
the sugar cane mafia is not a lil bit less than it was the last decades,
so none of your factors would be near a reason, they would proof the opposite.
do you live in La Romana since a lengthy time to comepare?
i assume you live somewhere near to observe such, instead of guessing something together??

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
correct.
as observed at every mass event/concert etc throughout northamerica, too.
but at least those same litterers lock at home thei trash into bags and put them out on the street at the required hrs,
because they know what nice fine's they would be charged with, in case to not act that way

Mike

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
tourism in la romana is today's bigger than ever, and still rising.
the sugar cane mafia is not a lil bit less than it was the last decades,
so none of your factors would be near a reason, they would proof the opposite.
do you live in La Romana since a lengthy time to comepare?
i assume you live somewhere near to observe such, instead of guessing something together??

Mike

oops....

Sep 4, 2012
Its pretty much the same in Cuba and Mexico. They seem to clean in spurts. Probably gets cleaned really good when a higher up politician with free jeepetas comes to visit.

QUID PRO QUO

La Romana local goverment was supported by Central Romana back then. Most of the tourism was moved further east to Higuey and with it was the money. Now days Punta Cana Airport gather more flights than any or all DR airports combined -- over 60% of flights land and take off from PUJ.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
QUID PRO QUO

La Romana local goverment was supported by Central Romana back then. Most of the tourism was moved further east to Higuey and with it was the money. Now days Punta Cana Airport gather more flights than any or all DR airports combined -- over 60% of flights land and take off from PUJ.

i thought they said Yogi was dead.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Another thread, here it comes the harrassment. Wont't bite and will be respectful to the OP, other members and the forum. Please do the same. Thanks you!

oh, i will. now you promise that you will listen to information coming from a person who knows more about the realities of tourism in Higuey and La Romana than you ever will. there is nothing wrong with listening, sometimes. tourism did not move from La Romana to PC, like you say. the two areas have a different client base. La Romana caters to the wealthier clientele, while PC caters to the budget traveler. it is that simple. no amount of arguing is going to change it.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Well at least here in Santiago the lack of garbage pick up is a major cause. In the area I live in people pay Haitians to haul away the garbage, and burn it or dump it I would assume? Also I think I may be the only one on my street who uses actual garbage bags instead of grocery bags for trash. Using grocery bags to me is very time consuming to save very little money.

Buy sacos, the big sacks that colmados buy full of rice, sugar and other staples.

If you shop around they sell them for 5 or 10 pesos each.

Sep 4, 2012
oh, i will. now you promise that you will listen to information coming from a person who knows more about the realities of tourism in Higuey and La Romana than you ever will. there is nothing wrong with listening, sometimes. tourism did not move from La Romana to PC, like you say. the two areas have a different client base. La Romana caters to the wealthier clientele, while PC caters to the budget traveler. it is that simple. no amount of arguing is going to change it.

100% in agreement with you, however, you ommited the first part; La Romana is not the same as it was when Central Romana operated as the big monopoly of the area. Nothing else was around to compete or get close to the financial/political machine it once was.

That city boomed as it probably never will back then. The second thing to take in consideration is the fact that money from the casual tourist is the one that reaches the populace, hence what's going in Higuey at the moment, isn't happening any longer in La Romana economically speaking.

Third, the assistance once provided to the municipal government, now is gone.

I hate FF on this forum, can't see what am writting....

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
100% in agreement with you, however, you ommited the first part; La Romana is not the same as it was when Central Romana operated as the big monopoly of the area. Nothing else was around to compete or get close to the financial/political machine it once was.

That city boomed as it probably never will back then. The second thing to take in consideration is the fact that money from the casual tourist is the one that reaches the populace, hence what's going in Higuey at the moment, isn't happening any longer in La Romana economically speaking.

Third, the assistance once provided to the municipal government, now is gone.

I hate FF on this forum, can't see what am writting....

I tend to agree with Senor Gorgan that you do not know what you are talking about .la Romana tourism has always been ONLY Casa de Campo . There are no other tourist hotels . La Romana Central owns the port and the airport and the management of Casa de Campo , always has . La Romana owns all the sugar fields and processing around la Romana and the La Romana Central Hospital and the largest percentage of houses in la Romana .always has. The only thing that is slowly changing is the increase in shops and services in La Romana, with the exception of the supermarkets, these all are small concerns. La Romana Central dominates and still has the clout in la Romana . You would be a fool to think otherwise.
The only point I disagree with Senor Gorgan on is the tourism client base in Punta Cana. There are now a large number of resorts of truly 5 star luxury ,catering for the very wealthy although the largest number are for the AI economy traveler.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I tend to agree with Senor Gorgan that you do not know what you are talking about .la Romana tourism has always been ONLY Casa de Campo . There are no other tourist hotels . La Romana Central owns the port and the airport and the management of Casa de Campo , always has . La Romana owns all the sugar fields and processing around la Romana and the La Romana Central Hospital and the largest percentage of houses in la Romana .always has. The only thing that is slowly changing is the increase in shops and services in La Romana, with the exception of the supermarkets, these all are small concerns. La Romana Central dominates and still has the clout in la Romana . You would be a fool to think otherwise.
The only point I disagree with Senor Gorgan on is the tourism client base in Punta Cana. There are now a large number of resorts of truly 5 star luxury ,catering for the very wealthy although the largest number are for the AI economy traveler.

well, Kipling, i do know that there are 5 star hotels in PC. quite a few years back, the idea came to start high level all inclusives, rather than just the low budget types. the all inclusive hotel model was invented in Jamaica, and guys like the Issa Brothers and Butch Stewart have always been developing it with new ideas, and the high end AI is a new phenomenon which is gaining traction. however, there is no low end tourism in La Romana. only people with sizeable bank accounts can holiday in that part of the country. that is where you find presidents, and kings, and movie stars. that market is still there, and never went to Punta Cana.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
sounds like you guys fight over nothing, nothing of much knowledge involved at least.
Punta Cana's Tourism started many decades ago with some of the more expensive vacation spots, the first one /everything on the grounds of Grupo Punta Cana is to date still not available as AI and most likely never will become such.
the next one to open, just a few months later, was the Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort, which been from the start a expensive high end AI property.
it was well later on that the AI industry boomed by adding the more economic resorts, which are predominant todays.
but back around the beginnings, a vacation at a Barcelo in PC been a expensive thing, most clients been europeans, a very long time before the northamerican market started to bring their clientel down to PC to have a caribbean vacation well cheaper than a long weekend in Florida would cost.

as for La Romana,
that city started solely on the money of Central La Romana.
the very old Casa de Campo been built for the super rich, the opposite of a typical AI vacation.
todays,
La Romana runs Tourism of all levels, the vast mayority of Tourists for La Romana are the same as in Punta Cana, the cheaper AI clientel. as far as numbers of Visitors goes, Casa de Campo hosts just a small number of the La Romana Tourist clientel.
the mayority for the area stays at the AI hotels around Bayahibe, spread til west of La Romana with the Bahia Principe La Romana there.

as for the original theme,
La Romana Filthy,
i agree by personal knowledge.
20 years ago La Romana was in my opinion a relatively clean place to drive thru, compared to Safacon City Higuey and others.
the last years La Romana shows less and less of the former cleaniness,
while Higuey seems to be more active, at least in certain main sectors, but still far from becoming named "Clean".

Mike

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
There are NO 5 star luxury hotels in PC or anywhere in this country. Dominicans have not a clue as to what 5 star luxury hotel
is. Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton hotels fled, ran away screaming from this country after they had indicated possibility of
opening a Four Seasons Casa de Campo and a Ritz Carlton Cap Cana. Dominicans are unable and unwilling to work in the way
real luxury hotels must operate..with discipline and true work ethic. I really laugh when I hear from dominicans there are any
luxury hotels in this country. There are not. Most hotels here are really quite pathetic. But if dominicans continue to delude
themselves (as they do) so be it.

Sep 4, 2012
la Romana tourism has always been ONLY Casa de Campo .

Wonder who stated otherwise?

La Romana Central owns the port and the airport and the management of Casa de Campo , always has . La Romana owns all the sugar fields and processing around la Romana and the La Romana Central Hospital and the largest percentage of houses in la Romana .always has. The only thing that is slowly changing is the increase in shops and La Romana Central dominates and still has the clout in la Romana . You would be a fool to think otherwise.

Did I not mention monopoly and could you please tone down your language towards me, thanks?