Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Off Topic Post Removed By Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Personalities aside, the topics of garbage in the streets, and the involvement of Central Romana Corporation in the community is interesting to some. We live in the area off and on.

In any case, there is no doubt Central Romana has been influential (if not dominant) for a long time. For example, they recently announced they will help finance improvements to the place where tourist buses park in Bayahibe.

Easy to look on Wikipedia for basic info about them (I know its not always accurate, but NALS will correct any bad info here... He knows much.)

"The city of La Romana was founded in 1897 as an oil town. After 1917 with the construction of a large sugar-mill (owned by Italian immigrants in the region of Rome, Lazio) the economy quickly shifted to sugar production. The commissioning of the sugar mill coincided with the rise in sugar prices worldwide, prompting the sugar industry to welcome workers from other parts of the country, many poor families from the Dominican interior moved to La Romana search of a better life.

"In early 1960, Gulf and Western Industries, Inc. purchased the sugar mill and started to invest in the livestock industry which was cemented in the province. Meanwhile, $20 million were invested to rebuild La Romana and build schools, clinics, housing and other infrastructure for workers. During the mid-1970s the American conglomerate began selling its Dominican assets, and at the same time built what is now one of the largest exclusive tourist resorts in the Dominican Republic, Casa de Campo."

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think also that if you visited any town or city in Africa or the Indian sub continent , the common denominator is the proliferation of rubbish . The DR is more African in blood and in culture , along with Haiti , than any other country in the world outside Africa . You can see this in every aspect of life here so maybe judgements should not be based in comparison to caucasian countries. La Romana is no different to other places here , just more work available there.

i beg to differ with your remark about the DR being more African than any country outside of Africa itself. not true. most of the rest of the caribbean is far more African, and so is Brazil, which has a larger African population than any country not on the conteninent irself.
Gorgon is correct on this one. There are quite a few recent genetic studies that support his claim. For example:

image.jpg

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article/figures?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1003925

image.jpg

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150324/ncomms7596/pdf/ncomms7596.pdf

Cuba is another place that in many countries is believed to be 'a country of blacks,' but there the difference between perception and reality is even greater and the most recent island-wide genetic results show. Even the eastern part of Cuba, which is the area that population-wise resembles the DR the most, turns out to be just a mulatto society.

image.jpg

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article/figures?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1004488

With that said, La Romana is one of the blackest parts of the DR due to the sugarcane fields. Before sugar was established in the eastern DR from the mid-1870's to the early 1900's, the average inhabitant in this region lived in the surrounding areas of El Seibo and Higuey and were described by Dominicans and foreigners are being mostly white or 'creole white,' which is how slightly admixed white looking people were often referred to; and, in fact, the traditional Higueyano, to give an example, is actually very lightskin mixed race. Higuey began to change in this respects after the 1960's, especially with the boom in tourism in Punta Cana and the avalanche of Haitians that followed. As recently as the 1940's, the population of the town of Higuey was described as mostly white or very light skin by the few foreigners that visited the place and wrote about their visit.

Population density and distribution in the DR:

image.jpg

Larger size: click here.

Lastly, the irony for Kipling is that Barbados is much much more African than DR, as can be seen in the second genetic study I cited, but its almost a much cleaner society overall, as far as keeping their towns and island clean is concerned.

The DR itself was a very orderly and clean country until Trujillo was killed, then everything went down the tubes. In part, I think, it has to do with some of the most reactionary anti-Trujillistas that afterwards became veey influential. This group is not a typical anti-Trujillista, but reactionary. Whatever Trujillo stand for they are against, regardless if it was good for the country. A good social grip, order, cleanliness was among the pillars of Trujillo.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon is correct on this one. There are quite a few recent genetic studies that support his claim. For example:

image.jpg

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article/figures?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1003925

image.jpg

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150324/ncomms7596/pdf/ncomms7596.pdf

Cuba is another place that in many countries is believed to be 'a country of blacks,' but there the difference between perception and reality is even greater and the most recent island-wide genetic results show. Even the eastern part of Cuba, which is the area that population-wise resembles the DR the most, turns out to be just a mulatto society.

image.jpg

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article/figures?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1004488

With that said, La Romana is one of the blackest parts of the DR due to the sugarcane fields. Before sugar was established in the eastern DR from the mid-1870's to the early 1900's, the average inhabitant in this region lived in the surrounding areas of El Seibo and Higuey and were described by Dominicans and foreigners are being mostly white or 'creole white,' which is how slightly admixed white looking people were often referred to; and, in fact, the traditional Higueyano, to give an example, is actually very lightskin mixed race. Higuey began to change in this respects after the 1960's, especially with the boom in tourism in Punta Cana and the avalanche of Haitians that followed. As recently as the 1940's, the population of the town of Higuey was described as mostly white or very light skin by the few foreigners that visited the place and wrote about their visit.

Population density and distribution in the DR:

image.jpg

Larger size: click here.

Lastly, the irony for Kipling is that Barbados is much much more African than DR, as can be seen in the second genetic study I cited, but its almost a much cleaner society overall, as far as keeping their towns and island clean is concerned.

it just stands to reason, NALS. the DR was never a slave holding plantation society, and there was no slave trade to speak of there.

May 29, 2006
The DR itself was a very orderly and clean country until Trujillo was killed, then everything went down the tubes. In part, I think, it has to do with some of the most reactionary anti-Trujillistas that afterwards became veey influential. This group is not a typical anti-Trujillista, but reactionary. Whatever Trujillo stand for they are against, regardless if it was good for the country. A good social grip, order, cleanliness was among the pillars of Trujillo.

That's total BS. There was no plastic on the island then and the population was half of what it is now. They burned garbage then as now, but there was no plastic and what didn't burn, rotted. Dominicans keep their homes spotless or they get overrun with ants. Garbage is a symptom of their relative affluence of living mostly as subsistence farmers. The smell of rotting fruit triggers childhood memories for when I was in the DR as a kid in the late sixties. What little food waste was eaten by chickens, goats and pigs.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
The solution requires attack from many angles - enforcement both locally and countrywide, public campaign, from all level of government. Education of both public and school children. Then the tools - garbage collection and accessible containers for the public. There are regular clean-ups of the barrios by volunteers, like the Lions club, but the majority of the people don't understand the significant environmental damage they are causing, nor does the sight physically bother them. I've talked with many Dominicans about this, especially those that have travelled to first world countries and they admit it's a huge problem. People will get involved if they can see a benefit.

I agree completely. It is about education of the people and pro action. Jeb

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Styrofoam Take-Out containers will be the ruination of the island. The undeniable non-biodegradeability of styrofoam as opposed to paper will be the downfall, that leads to more and more trash piling-up on the landscape. Every taxista and motoconcho in the D.R. eats his lunch and then promptly chucks to container into the landscape along the street (only after he ****es on the nearby palm tree, rather than going to the WC.

So true. They are such pigs. But as in so many other things here ... There are no no consequences!

May 29, 2006
I saw some recycling place on the highway on the way from Santiago to SD. With a typical labor cost of a buck an hour, I don't see why more isn't put back in the loop.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it depends on what recycling you have in mind. it's not always a cheap business to start.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
here on the East i know only one place running recycling of the trash, that's Grupo Punta Cana,
whom of course has plenty of Trash on daily bases due their own airport to clean up.
recycling is not just to put some cheap labourers on work and all is recycled, lol.
you need to change the whole waste/trash concept of the entire area you want to cover with your recycling.
that starts by collect trash already separated into different categories in different/separate trashcans.
where people throw their trash on the floor just a few feet aside a available trashcan and where they throw garbage out of their car windows and public busses while driving, there you need first a huuuge educational forward step to get your trash collected in the first place, to be able to start some recycling.
and then you need of course the usual facilities, to sort/separate the collected stuff in detail
and finally you have to run productions where the many different recycled materials can be used for new productions.
the airport and the hotels on the Grupo Punta Cana grounds been a good start, hopefully an example for others to follow and the government to hopp on the Train by educating the general population much more about everything trash related.
the next step here in the area, should/will be to involve more hotels.
the intl clientel is for most part from back home already used to separate trashcans, even that areas around swimup bars often show a sorrily different picture, even that trashcans are available there.
the huge hoteleria in PC, running on separate garbage collection and recycling processes, would be a huge start which could effect a country all around.
the facilities would be there, already running,
from there on the concept could be transfered to public places/offices til it reaches down to the private households everywhere, after some decades of course.
it all starts with the real awareness of the general population,
because without that first step, nothing really changes.

Mike

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Never been to Cuba but I have been to many cities in Mexico.
The only place I saw trash like that was in Tijuana, Baja Calif many moons ago.

I've seen people throwing trashing in DR and I have called them on it. They are usually offended.
It's one of the (many) things that really bothers me about the DR and I can't control.
Moca is now much cleaner than before as they have done a great job with cleaning up but they still
have generations to go.
It is real pity because I have ties to the DR an I have people that I care for but...

Its pretty much the same in Cuba and Mexico. They seem to clean in spurts. Probably gets cleaned really good when a higher up politician with free jeepetas comes to visit.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
And to think that these 9 pages all started by a generalisation that la Romana was filthy when it is a clean town except for the roads entering into the city. The actual town itself as at mid morning today was very clean except for the old by pass road and the road leading to the autopista in the west, which are , as usual, filthy . Today I did a tour of the town between Padre Abrieu and Jumbo and La Romana Central .
For anyone else driving near la Romana , did they see the poor mare with her foal stranded on the autopista . I stopped at the police station at Cumayasa to get some help to move them, but no one was interested . Hope they survived .

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
And to think that these 9 pages all started by a generalisation that la Romana was filthy when it is a clean town except for the roads entering into the city. The actual town itself as at mid morning today was very clean except for the old by pass road and the road leading to the autopista in the west, which are , as usual, filthy . Today I did a tour of the town between Padre Abrieu and Jumbo and La Romana Central .
For anyone else driving near la Romana , did they see the poor mare with her foal stranded on the autopista . I stopped at the police station at Cumayasa to get some help to move them, but no one was interested . Hope they survived .

Those horses are ALWAYS there and La Romana is filthy. Geez.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
To say that La Romana is filthy is, of course, a generalization. It depends on where you are in the city. The observation about the road that goes out the Autopista in the vicinity of Iberia is exactly right - lots of trash.

But, at the same time, Buena Vista Norte is completely clean - no trash. And, the street, in Centro where my assistant and her family live, is also clean. There is regular garbage truck service, people put their trash out on the day the truck comes, and they take it away. Just what is needed to keep the street clean.

It is mostly the vacant lots and/or vacant buildings where the trash accumulates, just like in other places in the DR (for example, recent discussion about across from that plaza near El Dorado in Bavaro).

One of the points about talking about the Central Romana Corp is that they do have influence in this city and could make a difference. I was actually a little disppointed that they were chosing to put resources in Bayahibe to improve the area where the tourist buses park. No doubt, desirable, it is a zoo, but critical? Probably not. Important for tourist image, yes.

And, Central Romana has more resources. I wonder how involved they are in local politics. But, that is a discussion for another thread...

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
And, for comparison mira one neighborhood in Veron. From the newspaper today. (Google translation to English)

http://www.bavaronews.com/semanal/i...orme-vertedero-en-el-sector-de-villa-playwood

Improvise huge landfill in the area of ​​Villa Playwood

Hundreds of residents of the impoverished area of Villa Playwood complained of a large landfill that has been thrown at the end of the sector, in which the City daily trucks and private garbage collection companies throw their waste.

Residents revealed that this landfill directly affects about 500 people living in the surrounding area, but indirectly injures about 3,000 people live in the sector.

Plus residents who can no longer live in the place of the plague of flies, cockroaches and rats has begun to loosen because of this landfill and the large amount of garbage that accumulates everywhere complained.

They also warned of the deplorable conditions in which they find their streets, they have their clogged filter, as also indicated that trucks do not pass the District Board to collect garbage.

The residents said that these terrible unsanitary conditions in the last two months there has been an outbreak of flu and allergies in children, as several cases that are suspected of dengue have also taken place.

Maria Isabel Leonardo Mota (Maria Villa Playwood), president of the Neighborhood of Villa Esperanza, said that "now because of the new landfill has presented a very serious problem, which many residents of this community have started inevitably think that the garbage problem has no solution in the Borough. "

Community said that for this reason the neighborhood is lost. There are accumulated trash everywhere, "and when asked to respond responsible City Council informing us that all garbage trucks are damaged".

He said that in the past two months in the neighborhood has unleashed a plague of flies, cockroaches and mice, and all pests and for having as never in my life had been seen in the history of Villa Playwood ".

However, reported that according to information received, the Energy Consortium Punta Cana-Macao (CEPM) is religiously paying the District Board Veron-Punta Cana, the money has to supply monthly, "which is handling your whim, building parks overvalued, while the most serious and fundamental problem is the community that is the garbage "is not resolved.

"In the area around City Hall employees who go from house to house and collected the garbage work. But of what use is it collected after the street they are to be stacked in a makeshift landfill in the same neighborhood, "he said.

Mary complained that "Charli Bravo, the city official who is in charge of collecting garbage, always says that trucks are damaged each time we complained about the deficiencies in the collection of garbage."

"For this cause there is a lot of garbage, and there are no trucks to pick it up, and I really do not know what the council is doing in the quarterfinals of the people," he said indicated that trucks are very few times a month to collect trash, but do nothing raising it from side to throw in the same neighborhood, because what they should do is transport them to the dump Guiri Gui.

OTHER RESIDENTS

While Angelo Francis Martinez Taveras said that although he has little time residing in the area, since moving here is that unbearable and nauseating landfill. "That source of contamination has never been collected, has been there all the time I have lived here, he said.

He said this dump directly affects about 500 people living nearby, but indirectly affects the whole sector.

He called on the municipal authorities, please eliminate that problem as soon as possible, as also requested the council that, as has been done in other neighborhoods, put the street lights that part of Villaplaywood not yet been lightened.

Another resident who complained was Yudelka Trinidad, who told this newspaper that since he moved in Villaplaywood has not left because of flu away. "When is this impromptu landfill that does not let us live, burning garbage is not let us breathe, and these problems do not know what to do," he said.

"Here you can not even speak, because once you open your mouth, a fly comes to want met?rsele in the language, so great plague that records the sector," he added.

SICK CHILDREN

Mary Villaplaywood warned that the accumulation of garbage there are many sick children, and has reported an outbreak of flu and allergy.

He said that so far in the sector there is only one landfill because people are desperate and hits it fire into the trash when you see you are accumulating a lot of junk in front of the houses, in a corner or in any vacant lot.

FILTER PLUGGED

Likewise, he complained that the city also maintains the streets, and for this reason the vast majority of the filter are clogged. "When it rains this neighborhood feel sorry, and this situation has also been reported on countless occasions the council, but the council did not do anything and puddles can not take it anymore."

He said the council responsible are so inept that "we do not know how they can not solve these problems are solved with so little money."

"When it rains a puddle that's the last one weapon," said Community.

Maria Isabel Leonardo Mota (Maria Villa PlaywoodSimilarly, he said that despite the neighborhood is falling to pieces, the neighborhood committee is very cold. "People here do not care much about what happens. They are resigned to their fate, and when they want them solve a problem then I only talk to me to be so resolved, and then the inhabitants I only blame myself the problem, but I have not the power to solve problems community. "

Leonardo Isabel Castillo urged mayor Radhames Carpio, who faje and get to work, to fix the trucks, because that was elected by the people.

"We also need fumigation brigades to the plague of flies, and to stop the spread of dengue Villaplaywood because there have been several suspected cases of the disease," he said.