LGBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
No.  We are everywhere. It’s just not a topic that is well received on this forum. Threads started get shut down quickly.  Not closed by a mod.  Just go flat. Other than Wally Brewster, much of which occurred in off topic, the lgbt threads don’t get much play. 

The website dr1 has accurate info as I recall. 

When a lgbt thread comes up OP’s get the usual very helpful timely advice. And a healthy dose of snark.  They are often helpfully given links such as monaga (nsfw).  

Anything gay goes over like a lead balloon. That’s all.  No particular invective. I note significant generational trends.  

families where there is at least one out of the closet family member also  tend to have allies in the family who can smooth things over.  That’s how older generations learn from younger ones. My beloved dad (step) has changed on that topic.  Still thinks it’s wrong but now he has many relatives in the younger generation.  He also found out that a few of his peers were alternative and he never knew.  And his peers who have gay grandchildren made a difference. Of course he sees it as a symptom of the degradation of society.  Faithful catholic, abortion is murder kind of guy.  He often now finds himself at parties and gatherings with gay people and he isn’t always the most cordial anyone could imagine.  Often a big hit.  (Actually, not recently.  Been a few years since he’s sticking close to the house.)

So I’m not saying older folks are closed minded.  But mostly people here on DR1 don’t want to talk about it.  Even I don’t want to, that much.  He was politely invited by Robert to more or less go ahead.  Here we are.  

I stick around Cuz I learn history stuff and travel stuff. On a rare ocasión I can provide helpful advice.

So I guess we have a new sub forum thread.  Are there significant generational difference in all things Lgbt?

Btw, just cuz I’m a gay guy doesn’t make me any kind of expert.  Nor do I have a particular interest in the topic.  

I predict this sub forum will be less active than the residents only forum.

But good luck and have at it.  

It could be popcorn worthy. 

If it weren't for the fact that LGBT issues are a pet cause of the global elites, I would be rather indifferent to it, but as far as the DR goes (and my problem with Wally and his fellow travellers) is that they pushed the LGBT thing along with others more unsavory for us nationalistic folk, like open borderism, abortion (as far as the DR goes I oppose it because it would lead to us Domis becoming a vastly outnumbered minority on this island again, cuz let's face it, very few to none Haitian families have ever aborted children to my knowledge), leniency towards delinquents in the Penal Codes, etc., all enveloped in a nice "muh human rights" package by NGO and civil society types.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Only the older overly religious dominicans see gays as a "threat", the millennials are extremely open minded here, so it's fairly liberal now. (i happen to be one, in the closet tho).

My husband is an older Dominican and he has no issues with gays.  Nor does anyone in his family, at least that I’m aware of, so it’s not my socially liberal influence.  One of his closest cousins was openly gay in SD 45-50 years ago. Very handsome and suave. Live and let live. 

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
My husband is an older Dominican and he has no issues with gays.  Nor does anyone in his family, at least that I’m aware of, so it’s not my socially liberal influence.  One of his closest cousins was openly gay in SD 45-50 years ago. Very handsome and suave. Live and let live. 

Nice to hear that. People are definitely more open-minded about it nowadays. My family is very non homophobic as well which is usually not the case tho in a fervent catholic family such as mine. And let's not talk about adventists/protestants/evangelicals, they're a whole different breed, lol. But overall, people here don't really care, it's a very carefree atmosphere and let's be honest, most dominican men are always horny so y'all would be surprised by the amount of "100% straight machos" that slide on my DM's after 2-3 drinks. lol.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...............and let's be honest, most dominican men are always horny so y'all would be surprised by the amount of "100% straight machos" that slide on my DM's after 2-3 drinks. lol.

Not sure what DM's mean and probably don't want to know but i don't doubt you about these so called "100% straight machos". I have always felt a whole LOT of these Doms be going either way.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
But overall, people here don't really care, it's a very carefree atmosphere and let's be honest, most dominican men are always horny so y'all would be surprised by the amount of "100% straight machos" that slide on my DM's after 2-3 drinks. lol.

Wouldn't surprise me at seeing how most of these "100% straight machos" are
more sensitive then a women's clitoris. Bright green pants, white shoes and a tight yellow tanktop...
Who would have thought?
Before any of you PC folks get your panties in a wad,
I'm just having a good laugh. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Nice to hear that. People are definitely more open-minded about it nowadays. My family is very non homophobic as well which is usually not the case tho in a fervent catholic family such as mine. And let's not talk about adventists/protestants/evangelicals, they're a whole different breed, lol. But overall, people here don't really care, it's a very carefree atmosphere and let's be honest, most dominican men are always horny so y'all would be surprised by the amount of "100% straight machos" that slide on my DM's after 2-3 drinks. lol.

Not just Dominican men, all of Central America where I've been. In Panama the province of Los Santos is known where men "mojan la canoa" after a few drinks. Went with my ex wife and a gay couple to a gay club there once. Saw many married men from my neighborhood there.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Let's keep this DR related.

No examples from other places please. Thanks

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo is becoming increasingly gay as far as I'm concerned. The Conde has always attracted locals who are looking to hook up with tourists. Some straight Dominican guys that I know don't like being seen in the Conde for that reason, they don't want to get a reputation for being a sanky panky. And Parque Duarte attracts a big local gay crowd on Friday and Saturday nights. There are three of four gay bars, a gay sauna and most of the nicer hotels get a lot of gay guests, again at the weekends. It's almost certainly the gayest place in the Caribbean and quite a lot of guidebooks and journalists have commented on this in recent years.

nrg2003

Jul 25, 2017
The Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo is becoming increasingly gay as far as I'm concerned. The Conde has always attracted locals who are looking to hook up with tourists. Some straight Dominican guys that I know don't like being seen in the Conde for that reason, they don't want to get a reputation for being a sanky panky. And Parque Duarte attracts a big local gay crowd on Friday and Saturday nights. There are three of four gay bars, a gay sauna and most of the nicer hotels get a lot of gay guests, again at the weekends. It's almost certainly the gayest place in the Caribbean and quite a lot of guidebooks and journalists have commented on this in recent years.

I agree. Santo Domingo and San Juan, PR are pretty gay but I would say that Santo Domingo might offer more given the situation in PR after Maria. Also, a lot of gay club strippers in NYC are from the DR so I'm sure they're making a name for the country haha. 

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
I don't get it, and I'm not trying to be snark.
Why all of the sudden must there be a separate label for LGBT everywhere?  So what if your gay, bi, tri, or whatever?  If you want inclusion and equality wouldn't it be better to stop trying to organize your orientation as a special classification. Just jump in and join the fray, speak openly and comment as an independent person. I don't see sub-forums for fly fisherman, diabetics, Irish Americans or garden enthusiasts - yet although all of those interests probably exist on this forum. It just seems counter intuitive to demand special classification for your sexual orientation while demanding equality. 

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Why all of the sudden must there be a separate label for LGBT everywhere?  So what if your gay, bi, tri, or whatever?  If you want inclusion and equality wouldn't it be better to stop trying to organize your orientation as a special classification. Just jump in and join the fray, speak openly and comment as an independent person. I don't see sub-forums for fly fisherman, diabetics, Irish Americans or garden enthusiasts - yet although all of those interests probably exist on this forum. It just seems counter intuitive to demand special classification for your sexual orientation while demanding equality. 

Unless we see a lot of posts and threads relating to LGBT, they will never have their own forum, simple!

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015

One of the more astute post I've seen in a while......

affald

May 17, 2004
So true. Yet logic defies those on a personal agenda mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.