Libros en espa?ol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I looked up The House on the Lagoon, by Rosario Ferre on Amazon and it is definitely the one I read. I happened to be reading it while my Puerto Rican friend was around and she filled me in on Ferre's interesting background. I liked the book and may check out her others.

Julio Cortazar I have read, but could never get into Borges. Ditto Carlos Fuentes.

Skarmeta wrote the book 'El cartero de Neruda' that the Italian movie 'Il Postino' was based on - one of my all-time favourites. While on the subject, what about Neruda's autobiography, 'Memoirs'?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Chirimoya...

-I have not read anything by Pablo Neruda.

-I share the same sentiment regarding Carlos Fuentes. I am not interested in his work although I have tried to read some of his books.

-I think once one finds an author or authors that s/he likes one tends to look for similar literature. At least that's how it is for me. Although I am willing to try other authors I am trapped in the sentimental literary style (sentimentalismo) of the Cuban authors I mentioned (except for Pedro Juan's work. He is not sentimental about Cuba). Also a few Peninsular authors like Rosa Montero intrigue me and the rest is trial and error. All I can say is I have read some great Spanish literature along the way.

LDG.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've never been able to understand or appreciate poetry (except for the comical or satirical variety) so I can't say I've read Neruda's, but I read his 'Memoirs' because he was such an interesting figure.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Chiri, I don't read poetry either. But Neruda had a very interesting life. For example, he was a diplomat (of communist sympathies) in Spain during the Guerra Civil. Someone in my family recommended his Memoirs, but I haven't tried it yet.

Too bad you ladies don't favor Fuentes. I have the greatest respect for his intellectual depth and range. His essay books are better than his prose, I cannot give opinions about any poetry he has produced since I don't read anyone's poetry. La Muerte de Artemio Cruz makes for complicated reading, but it is a masterful, compelling narrative.

Gang please don't forget the Spanish Nobel prizewinner, Camilo José Cela and his pastoral Pascual Duarte.

- Tordok

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Hi Tordok..

C. Fuentes is no doubt a talented author but I just can't get a handle on his style. Maybe in years to come.

We definitely have similar taste in contemporary Spanish literature. I am not surprised although I definitely bend towards sentimentalismo in my preferences. I was going to mention Camilo José Cela but I didn't because I do have one book of his La colmena but I have not read it yet although I know this author is among the elites in Iberian literature.

Since we are speaking of greats again I wanted to mention José Saramago. He is Portuguese but all is novels have been translated to Spanish. In general I enjoy his work. One book that I thought was excellent was Ensayo sobre la ceguera. In my opinion it was a masterpiece.

Have you read any of his books? Chirimoya, Tordok?

LDG.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Lesley D said:
C. Fuentes is no doubt a talented author but I just can't get a handle on his style. Maybe in years to come.

We definitely have similar taste in contemporary Spanish literature. I am not surprised although I definitely bend towards sentimentalismo in my preferences. I was going to mention Camilo Jos? Cela but I didn't because I do have one book of his La colmena but I have not read it yet although I know this author is among the elites in Iberian literature.

Since we are speaking of greats again I wanted to mention Jos? Saramago. He is Portuguese but all is novels have been translated to Spanish. In general I enjoy his work. One book that I thought was excellent was Ensayo sobre la ceguera. In my opinion it was a masterpiece.

Have you read any of his books? Chirimoya, Tordok?

LDG.

I have read only parts of "..la Ceguera", my wife favors Saramago and she has read more than one of his books. I feel like he deserves a more serious reader than me, since I seem to always be in a hurry, even with my reading.
I like his use of mega-metaphors and he has a reputation of being a very humane author, full of creativity. I know that I'll eventually read his work.

- Tordok

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lesley, both the authors you mention are winners of the Nobel Prize for literature. I haven't read either of them but I'll get around to reading Saramago (at least) at some point. Not one for mincing his words, judging by some of the statements he makes about politics and religion.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Pablo Neruda is one of my favorite poets and I teach a unit on poetry that features him and his odes.

Rosario Ferre is one of the first authors I've read in Spanish and I really enjoy her style.

I also like Paolo Coelho because I have found he is easy for a new Spanish reader to understand.

I have read "the Buried Mirror" in English and it helped me pass a major exam for my profession. I ordered the video series for my students and they all fell asleep. Narrated by him.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
El Zahir -una novela genial pero no una de sus mejores

I was hoping to read this book before the year came to a close simply because I wanted to read it the same year it was published since it was one of the most popular Spanish novels of 2005. Although I have so many others still to read last week I decided to read El Zahir by Paulo Coelho.

First of all I had no idea what the book was about except for the small details given in the editorial summary, which was enough to spark my interest. Secondly, I decided I would not highlight anything as I read through the book, which I normally do if I come across an intriguing paragraph, a thought provoking phrase etc. Well, that lasted until page 80 and then the highlighting began as this interesting story began to unfold.

I have not read many novels by this author (only four) however, I think I can safely conclude that one either likes a particular novel by P.Coelho or not. There's seems to be no middle of the road. This book will definitely be well critiqued by its readers since Paulo C attempts to express via literature the complexity of love, relationships, men, women, etc. through an intriguing mystery of a man whose wife disappears and who can no longer move forward until he finds out 'why'. Although the protagonist does get into a relationship with another woman, El Zahir is always on his mind. As I read the novel I thought this could be a testimony of the author's personal experience.

El Zahir is a novel with simple but yet masterful prose and full of deep underlying messages to keep the reader intrigued by the protagonist's journey of his inner soul. However, the most intriguing part of the book is definitely the first half IMO and I felt a decrease in the intensity of the plot half way through. What kept my interest to finish was Paulo Coelho's prose and writing style. He's definitely creative and the ending was worth it. However, after reading El Zahir my favorite two books by this author still are Once minutos which I read exactly two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed and Veronika decide morir.

-PD. I am still waiting patiently to acquire Jaime Bayly's new book which will be released at the end of this month.

LDG.

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I have just read through this wonderfully informative list and I cannot wait to get my hands on some of these titles. I have read several of the more famous authors in translation, Cela, Borges, Fuentes et al., and believe it or not they read quite well in English, though I dont know whether I can form an opinion of their work on that basis! I happen to like Fuentes' essays very much, so now I am curious to see what his prose is like in Spanish. Borges, I agree, is a bit too heavy on the mental games, but in my youth I had a pronounced taste for metaphysical puzzlers.

I know that the emphasis on this thread is on contemporary literature, but I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about some of the classics as well? I am about to start "Los de Abajo" and I just finished struggling through, but enjoying Carpentier's first novel, Ecue Yamba O, which he himself renounced, but is in fact a very very interesting book for its stylistic experiments (a bit of surrealism, and lots of colloquialisms, etc). When I was an academic, my specialty was the 19th century novel -- I happen to love those big ambitious novels of social realism (Balzac, Dickens, Zola) where all these different narrative threads are pulled together in a magisterial manner -- are there any examples of this in Spanish literature?

There also appears to be a decided taste for novels as compared with poetry, but Spanish poetry is just sublime! Neruda has been mentioned, but let us go back a bit in time and acknowledge the wonderful accomplishment of Antonio Machado!

Just as a sidebar -- I see that Saramago,a Portuguese writer, was mentioned. I dont know if any of you have ever read any of Jorge Amado's work -- his later stuff, which I like less, is well known, but his first novel, Terra sem Fim, available in English as The Violent Land, is actually a very very good novel about the cocoa plantations. It is not Modernist in its style, reads more like a 19th century realist novel.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Macocael-

In brief I cannot comment on the classics or literature that is outside of the contemporary realm simply because they do not appeal to me. I have read excerpts of some of the classic authors out of necessity which was enough for me to determine what type of Spanish literature I enjoy most. I am definitely a fan of contemporary Spanish literature.

Poetry does not appeal to me at all although it is an interesting area of study for many.

I am glad to hear that the translated version of the books that you did read were well done since I have only read every book I have mentioned in Spanish.

I think the discussions here have provided insight into some good literature.

Happy reading!

-LDG.

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
One last question: anyone seen a copy of Edmundo Desnoes' "Memories of Underdevelopment" in any book store here or abroad? Very difficult to get a hold of this work,e ven though it was quite famous, serving as the basis for the more well known film by Gutierrez Alea.

Any leads appreciated.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Rese?a- Y de repente, un ?ngel - Jaime Bayly

I started this thread due to my excitement about the release of this novel so it's only fair to give my feedback about the book. I finished reading it today.

The plot in brief:

The two main protagonists are Juli?n Beltr?n and Mercedes. Juli?n is a writer and journalist who hires Mercedes (una mucama) to clean his house. Mercedes is an illiterate woman in her fifties who looks up to Juli?n and takes pride in working for him. Juli?n becomes interested in her past as he finds out she was sold by her parents at a very young age. He takes it upon himself to reunite Mercedes with her mother. The story unfolds beautifully as we see the contrast between two social classes however, both have the same personal struggles as Juli?n seeks peace of mind from his family that he willfully abandoned ten years ago.

My comments:

Y de repente, un ?ngel is yet another Latin American novel that reveals in a subtle way the antagonism between the classes- upper class dominance and discrimination against the lower classes via the characters depicted in the novel. Mercedes is a chola which is the term used to describe mestizos or indigenous people in Peru. Mercedes' inherent sense of inferiority is consistent throughout her friendship with Juli?n Beltr?n.

Customarily when I read Latin American and Peninsular Spanish literature I always pay attention to cultural nuances, regional vocabulary and expressions because they enrich the writing style of the author. A good novel is not only one that has an interesting plot that keeps the reader interested but also an author's ability to incorporate cultural nuances is equally important. In fact, this is one of Jaime Bayly's literary strong points. In Y de repente, un ?ngel he completely stays away from his traditional polemic themes however, once again he reveals aspects of Peruvian society via the characters and their speech which at times is very subtle and other times with a blatant humoristic approach. Some old demons about his personal life and family relationship were portrayed via Juli?n Beltr?n's relationship with his family.

Regional vocabulary and expressions add realism to literature and one aspect that is typical of Bayly's literature is the usage of pejorative words, pejorative Peruvian slang and expressions which is typical of the way some people speak. The usage goes hand and hand with the characters that are depicted in this novel and many others of his which adds much realism to all of Jaime's literature. This novel should satisfy those who question JB's writing ability. A simple theme, with intriguing everyday characters who represent opposite sides of the social spectrum but ironically in the end share the same strife. In my opinion it's a worthwhile read for its simplicity and underlying messages.

A trav?s de los personajes, Jaime Bayly trata de mostrar la paradoja entre el bien y el mal y la locura de la vida peruana, es decir lo bueno, lo malo y lo ir?nico de cualquier sociedad. Es una novela f?cil de leer y merecedora de ser finalista en el premio literario. Con su humor negro JB es catalogado de un escritor muy pol?mico por los temas que se atreve a tocar. Es renombrado por sus libros: No se lo digas a nadie, La mujer de mi hermano y El hurac?n lleva su nombre. Su estilo de escribir no se compara con otros escritores que he le?do. Leer a Bayly es leer algo diferente, y quien lea sus novelas descubrir? que cabe dentro de un grupo de escritores contempor?neos que se destaca por su simplicidad y sus temas que tratan de la realidad de la vida. En mi opini?n esta novela es una de las mejores de Bayly que he le?do en los ?ltimos tiempos.

My rating: 4 stars

~LDG.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Rese?a- The Big Banana- Roberto Quesada

I just finished reading a very interesting novel called 'The Big Banana' By Roberto Quesada. This is the first novel that I read by a Honduran author. The book is in Spanish in spite of its English title and it's not a translated version. If one reads the book s/he will readily understand what The Big Banana refers to. It's the nickname of the protagonist since he comes from a Banana Republic, Honduras. Also, it is used as a comparison to the "Big Apple".

I purchased this book three years ago and it was sitting on the shelf waiting to be read. I am glad I did not give up on getting a chance to read it. I was presently surprised by his writing style especially since I had no idea what to expect from this author. The story line is simple yet intriguing, the vocabulary used matches the characters portrayed and the author incorporates daily everyday colloquialisms in the speech of the protagonists, which makes the novel very realistic, and one can identify easily with their everyday ups and downs.

About the novel:

Roberto Quesada presents an accurate view of some immigrants and their struggles when they get to La Gran Manzana in search of a better life. Latino immigrants and many from other countries have the perception that NYC will solve all their monetary woes and those of their relatives but the contrary is what many immigrants struggle with and are not prepared to face. When their illusions get shattered quickly most don't have a back up plan and end up living in conditions that they never fathomed in their home country.

The protagonist Eduardo goes to NYC and becomes a resident of the Bronx with the hopes of becoming and actor. Little does he know it's not that simple because he does not have connections. While waiting for his big opportunity he learns quickly that money is the key to survival in NYC. However, with limited opportunities he is forced to do hard work and live with many other Latinos in the same situation. They are foreigners, limited, trying to fit in and learn about life in a new land. What was also interesting and evident throughout the novel was how stereotypes about each other’s country were consistently mocked- 'los hondure?os no saben leer', 'no saben escribir', 'Colombia s?lo tiene guerrilleros y narcotraficantes' etc.

The narration of story alternates between the past and present. Certain situations take the protagonist back in time to his life in Honduras, which is an effective literary technique throughout the book. His girlfriend Mirian is in Honduras waiting for her opportunity to go the "Big Apple" too. In the meantime Eduardo gets involved with a Colombian woman, meets other Hondurans, is exposed to drugs and learns about the good, the bad and the ugly of life in certain parts of NYC. The author also reveals aspects about Honduran society, such as discrimination, poverty, lack of opportunities, and economic strife. These same hurdles are also part of the protagonist’s life in NYC and are also the plight of other Hondurans that Eduardo meets in the Big Apple.

The novel is light hearted, comical, and realistic. It also reminds us that in life dreams can come true.

My rating- 4 stars.

From a language perspective by reading this book I learned that Honduras is a voseo speaking country. This I knew but I did not know the usage was so extensive. This is an archaic form that is not even used in Spain but has remained in certain parts of Latin America in particular Argentina, the southern part of Colombia (el Valle and Valle del Cauca regions) and Central America (but not Panama). Here are some examples from the book:

Pon? m?sica, Jos?- the standard form is pon
Vos sab?s, vos cre?s – the standard is (t?) sabes, (t?) crees
Venite Eduardo- the standard is ven(te)
Ten? paciencia- the standard form is ten

I hear the last two forms regularly from Central Americans. Most commands forms are of archaic usage and have a change in accentuation.

On to my next two books: El amante turco by Esmeralda Santiago. I have not read anything from her in years. The reviews are excellent. I am really looking forward to reading this novel. Once finished I will read Casa de juegos by la habanera, Da?na Chaviano. I absolutely adore this Cuban author for her writing skills, her usage of the Spanish language and exceptional talent.

-LDG.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Rese?a-El amante turco- Esmeralda Santiago

General comment:

Esmeralda Santiago sigue revelando la historia de su pasado a través de sus libros y éste, El amante turco es buen ejemplo de sus habilidades como escritora. Desde el principio el/la lector/a se da cuenta de que Negi, se ha involucrado con un hombre que pretende ser su dueño en vez de su amante y la relación de pareja tiene problemas como resultado de su necesidad de controlarla. Con el deseo de sentirse mujer y vivir libre de su mamá y sus familiares Negi se muda a la Florida para empezar una vida nueva con Ulvi sin embargo, las limitaciones que le impone son peores de las que vive con su Mamá.

Book review:

Intro: El amante turco by Esmeralda Santiago is a novel that transcends culture. After having read her two previous books, Cuando era puertorriqueña and Casi una mujer I had insight into Esmeralda's style prior to reading this one. One aspect about Esmeralda's novels is that she is the protagonist and her family members are the other main characters. Novels such as these (vivencias) add a different flavor and dimension to a novel.

Review: The primary theme of this novel is very obvious and slowly develops which is male dominance "machismo" in a relationship. As the story unfolds the reader gets a sense of the cultural differences, Puerto Rican vs. Turkish, male vs. female interaction, an older man and the protagonist's inexperience in relationships in general all play a role in how the story develops.

Negi's departure from her family tainted her as la oveja negra, which is not a welcomed stigma especially in a Latin American family. Determined not to repeat her mother’s mistakes with men and behavior patterns, Negi constantly finds herself questioning her own values for being involved with a man she is not sure she loves, who speaks a different language and broken Spanish which hampers their communication.

Negi returns to NYC because Ulvi had to go to Turkey "on business" suddenly. All he kept saying to her in his phone calls and postcards was "be a good girl. We will be together soon". "Tienes que ser una niña puertorriqueña decente". Upon her return to NYC Negi struggles with her reencounter with her family therefore she seeks a small accommodation in Manhattan where she can be close to work and to her past time activities.

As the stories progresses the struggle continues and Negi does meet other men to fill the void. Upon Ulvi’s return they move to various parts of the country as Ulvi pursues his educational goals. During this period Negi lives a stifling existence, he slaps her when he feels she is out place and he limits her life completely. However, Negi does manage to free herself from Ulvi and a love/ hate relationship (can't live with him can't live without him) and pursues her own goals after years of being controlled.

Summary:

En resumidas cuentas El amante turco es un libro que relata la experiencia de cualquier mujer. Lamentablemente hay muchas mujeres que sufren por el maltrato de sus parejas y en muchos de los casos el maltrato llega a golpes. La mujer se ve forzada a aguantar la difícil situación en la que se encuentra por varias razones. Lo bueno de este caso es que Negi logró librarse de las garras de un hombre que la controlaba por su propio bien. A pesar de todos los obstáculos logró graduarse de la universidad para vivir una vida libre de las injusticias de un hombre que no la amaba (en mi opinión) ni tampoco la respetaba.

My rating: 5 stars

(I was going to give this novel a 4 star rating but I could not do it. It's a terrific memoir).

-LDG.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Mainegirl-

I read your commentary about the book on your blog. Indeed it sounds like you really did not enjoy it. I don't know how you choose your novels but I highly rely on the publishing house meaning the really good authors are supported by the top publishing houses like Alfaguara, Plaza Janes, Seix Barral, Planeta, Anagrama, Grupo Norma Editorial just to name a few. As well, I try to keep up with top 10 book lists published weekly in newspapers such as El Nuevo Herald, El Nuevo Dia and El Tiempo. These are the three main newspapers in which I check the top ten lists. Also my choices depend on previous works of an author. If I read a book by an author and liked it, I most likely will sample more of their novels. As well, you may want to do a little research before reading their work. I have never heard of Lynda Sandoval however, my experience with Latino authors from the US has been that their literature does not match up to Latin American or Peninsular authors. This is just my opinion but it's an aspect I have noticed hence I read authors from those regions as a preference.

As for translated literature (English to Spanish) I read very little translated literature. Esmeralda Santiago is one of maybe four authors whose works I read regularly in Spanish that is a translated version. Again the publishing house plays a key role in the quality of the translation either English to Spanish or Portuguese to Spanish. The book I just finished reading was excellent. I have no interest in sampling the original English version. The Spanish version was so well written to such extent that the even the regionalisms were incorporated into the text and the grammar was flawless. However, as I stated above much has to do with the publishing house. In this case I give credit to Alfaguara.

-LDG.

Last edited:

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Lesley,

This particular group of books I found on a dusty shelf at a "big lots" store in Maine. Looks like a bookstore in LA affected by Katrina shipped some inventory to Maine and I was able to buy 29 books for one and two dollars each. There are certainly better titles in the group. Already I love choice number 2, "Confieso que he vivido". Pablo Neruda!

Now that we have you on the boards, the next time I go to a bookstore in the DR I will look at your short list beforehand.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Rese?a- Un primer sue?o para olvidar- Cynthia Boudon Vergara

Compr? el libro hace dos semanas, cuando fui a la librer?a para echar un vistazo a las novedades literarias y a los libros m?s vendidos en los ?ltimos tiempos. Hab?a un ejemplar del libro nuevo de Zoe Vald?s Bailar con la vida y aunque me llamaba la atenci?n no lo compr? y me fui.

Dos d?as despu?s regres? a la librer?a para comprar el libro y para sorpresa m?a ya se hab?a vendido. A pesar de todo quer?a comprar un libro de un escritor poco com?n y empec? a hojear este libro de Cynthia Boudon Vergara. Le? la rese?a editorial en la contraportada. Me pareci? muy interesante y decid? comprarlo. Fui al cajero y el due?o de la tienda empez? a contarme un poco sobre la escritora, y en vista de que estaba tan decepcionada por no encontrar el libro de Zoe Vald?s, me dijo:

'esta chica es de aqu? de Montreal, es de origen chileno y le llev? cuatro a?os y pico escribir este libro. Pru?balo y me cuentas cuando hayas terminado. Es un buen libro. A veces los escritores menos difundidos son los mejores'.

Con sus consejos me sent? bien al comprar el libro y empec? a leerlo.

Rese?a:

El per?odo hist?rico del libro se remonta al principio del siglo XX en Chile. En aquella ?poca la mayor?a de las personas ganaba la vida trabajando en f?bricas textiles o en la industria salitrera, dado que era el recurso natural m?s abundante. Tambi?n es importante notar que hubo muchos cambios pol?ticos que afectaban muy de cerca la vida de los chilenos. Como resultado de dichos cambios hubo muchos movimientos y manifestaciones sociales en el Chile del siglo XX.

La protagonista Mar?a naci? en un pueblo muy lejos de Santiago. Aunque le fue dif?cil dejar a su familia y a su amigo se fue a vivir con su hermano V?ctor a la capital antes de cumplir los veinte a?os. Quer?a superarse y tener mejores oportunidades de trabajo porque no quer?a ser la mujer de un campesino.

Mar?a se llevaba muy bien con su hermano y a trav?s de la historia nos enteramos de la atracci?n secreta que su hermano siente por ella, porque Mar?a es la hija adoptiva de su mam?. Poco despu?s de encontrar trabajo en una f?brica Mar?a conoce a Gustavo, el cual se enamora de ella a primera vista. Se casaron y a partir de ese d?a la vida de Maria cambi?.

La historia trata de los altibajos de la vida conyugal de Mar?a, su infidelidad y la obsesi?n que V?ctor siente por ella. El aporte de los otros personajes y el papel que desempe?an es muy importante, sobretodo el de los amigos de Gustavo; Diego y Rub?n. Los acontecimientos en el libro nos muestran que la vida siempre nos toma desprevenidos y que lo m?s importante es aprender a hacer frente a los problemas que se presentan aunque a veces queremos darnos por vencidos.

La escritora se atrevi? a tocar algunos temas pol?micos como la infidelidad de una mujer, la homosexualidad y por otra parte la inestabilidad pol?tica que repercute directamente en la vida de los ciudadanos.

En conclusi?n Un primer sue?o para olvidar es una linda historia muy bien redactada e interesante. Seguro que esta escritora tendr? mucho ?xito.

-LDG.

...on to my next book.

Status
Not open for further replies.