livinglife

livinglife

Nov 22, 2015
here is another ? what is your intake on have a motor bike there,if yes would a small,maybe 110cc be enough,i have a 750 in U.S, and a 200 in Thailand,it is nice to come and go as you please but is it worth it

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Last apartment I had in Sosua was located three blocks over from the entrance to the beach. I paid 4,500 pesos a month for a
brand new 1 bed apartment with refrigerator. Free water 24/7 and my monthly electric bill was around 350 pesos a month.
Seek and you shall find.
How does this in any way help the OP ?

livinglife

Nov 22, 2015
do they have karaoke any where there lol remember a dumb question is one that is not ask,it is fun lol

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hey I found it lol so I guess I can start asking questions,I would like to if there would be any ok 1 bedroom apt. around sousa For around $250 or $300 a month.I would like to live close but not in the beast belly

You can find a place for that amount but as a Gringo you will stick out like a sore dick. I don't think you will feel very comfortable in this setting especially if you have no Spanish language skills. You will not last in the barrio. Double the amount per month and find a place with good amenities and SECURITY. You have been advised, just saying.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
here is another ? what is your intake on have a motor bike there,if yes would a small,maybe 110cc be enough,i have a 750 in U.S, and a 200 in Thailand,it is nice to come and go as you please but is it worth it

what do you mean 'is it worth it'?

if you want your own transportation, you can either buy a car or a moped. You need to know by yourself if its worth for you to spent the money.

I have an ATR180 and am happy (2kUSD)

Jul 28, 2014

That depends on what you are going to want to travel for? If you want to go to the IKEA, yeah, a pasola is not gonna cut it, but if you just want to drive across town, or skip over to Cabarete for a change of scenery for a day, a pasola would fit the bill.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I can not tell you much all this info helps and derfish your place sounds just what I am looking for not to close but not to far away,i have found 4 places so far for $300 and $350 a month and looked pretty nice,I am a simple man so I do not need much But i will for sure contact you Derfish and you are right we should all ways try to help one another,thank you my friend

I would ask that once you check that place out please post here what you think of it. I stayed there one night and couldn't get out quick enough. Rustic??? That is being very generous. Padlock on the "door" mosquitoes (thanks to the river) sucking your blood constantly and wet smelly dogs (thanks to being on the river) when trying to eat in the "restaurant". Convenient to walking? You can walk up and over the hill to where there are some concho drivers that will take you down to the main road but convenient for basic needs? IF you have a car you can be in the center of Puerto Plata in around 15 - 20 minutes.
It would be a very good place to hide out if you are hiding form someone.
Please do all of us the favor and post your opinion after you visit.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
You can find a place for that amount but as a Gringo you will stick out like a sore dick. I don't think you will feel very comfortable in this setting especially if you have no Spanish language skills. You will not last in the barrio. Double the amount per month and find a place with good amenities and SECURITY. You have been advised, just saying.
I know Sosua is different from Pto Pta, but I have just renewed the contract on my unfurnished apartment in Pto Pta for another five years. The rent is a fixed 11,000 pesos (about US$245) per month plus 1000 per month for g?atchiman and 500 per month for water (we never once ran dry, even during the drought). Electric, cable and gas I pay myself.

It comprises a large salon extending to a decent-sized kitchen, two large bedrooms, bathroom/toilet which I have modernized at my own expense, plus one small (originally servant's) bedroom with toilet and cold-water shower), generous galleria, and dedicated parking space. I have been here five year's with no security problems apart from rug stolen from the roof where it was drying after washing (presumably by workmen on the premises).

The exteriors are regularly decorated and flowerbeds maintained (for which I do not contribute).

Middle-class neighbours who were noisier than I liked, but our new baby is giving it them back twofold.

Private road, not the barrio. No pool, but there is a public pool across the road.

Five minutes walk to the Malecon.

If on a tight budget and unfurnished is a problem, I would start with buying junk from the compraventa to cover your minimum needs then replace pieces one by one with decent stuff as and when you can afford. Make sure the decent stuff is insect-proofed. I have a guy who makes me furniture to my spec at very fair prices.

I cannot believe that Sosua is that much dearer. If it is, then OP should consider Pto Pta instead. Sosua is great for shorter stays but for permanent residence he might prefer Pto Pta anyway.

Last edited:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I lived in El Pueblito for about 8 months. It is right before Playa Dorado going from POP to Sosua. It has apartments converted from commercial units. I paid 8000 RD a month for a small but clean studio. Light was 24 hours and cheap, walk out the door and in 20 paces feet in the sand.
There is one more upscale restaurant and a few low end places including one right on the beach.

livinglife

Nov 22, 2015
well I think I will stay at Rockys blues bar for a week or so so i can check a lot of these places out,i have a whole list of places and that is a good idea about buying used furniture if i can not find one that has it all ready,i did that in Cambodia and it worked out well,did not loose much when I left

Jul 28, 2014
well I think I will stay at Rockys blues bar for a week or so so i can check a lot of these places out,i have a whole list of places and that is a good idea about buying used furniture if i can not find one that has it all ready,i did that in Cambodia and it worked out well,did not loose much when I left

Rocky's is good as its central amongst a lot of the main places in Sosua, restaurants, beach, highway, nightlife, and lastly its pretty cheap. However, if you are generally thinking about moving to Sosua, I definitely would consider a longer stay...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
How does this in any way help the OP ?

Great question. Great deals on apartments can be found in and around Playa Sosua once you get into town. Just get out and
have a walk. Talk with locals. I found that apartment in Los Charamicos by asking my Dominican barber. I know several
gringos who live in El Batey who are paying a lot more money to live in these old run down mold infested buildings with
very little natural light. Just my 2 cents- GOOD LUCK.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I hope Rocky's has improved since I stayed there six years ago. I couldn't wait to leave, so I will be interested to hear if it has improved.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I hope Rocky's has improved since I stayed there six years ago. I couldn't wait to leave, so I will be interested to hear if it has improved.

Did you expect a turndown and mint on your pillow for $27 as night?
It is what it is, modest, safe, and clean.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
well I think I will stay at Rockys blues bar for a week or so ...
Nowhere near long enough. If you have shortlist of possible places, you need to keep checking on them at different times of the day and night, weekdays and weekends, and during or after heavy rain before committing. You may get a less favorable impression.

Every new motoconchista who drops me off at my place in the daytime comments on how peaceful it is. They should come back at night-time once the ghetto-blasters start up on the Malecon. Not a big enough problem for me to outweigh the advantages, but just an example of how a one-stop inspection can mislead.

You will need at least a month to get a feel for non-tourist, normal living. Three would be better. And Rocky's Bar is about as non-normal as you can get. If you want somewhere cheap, stay in a barrio. That will teach you many of the things to avoid when searching for somewhere permanent.

Do not choose a stand-alone place. Even rich people with fortified walls, alarms, guns, dogs and watchmen get apprehensive about safety. If you are staying in a much cheaper place it will be a hundred times worse. Your best security by far is living among respectable Dominicans, but their noise is the price you have to pay for that.

livinglife

Nov 22, 2015
I saw a up to date video on line and it looked pretty decent has good for and pretty safe,I think that is pretty good for a newbe. be leave me I have stayed in some pretty rough and not so nice or safe places in s,e asis the last 16 years,it sounds like that same price as pattaya for a one nite stay

Jul 28, 2014
I stay at Rocky's, and I can say simply, its basic, no frills, its a place to crash, but I am ok with that. That being said, you will be spending your time out and about and only sleeping or perhaps the wild thing once in awhile, so focus on your main goal of exploration...