livinglife

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I can not tell you much all this info helps and derfish your place sounds just what I am looking for not to close but not to far away,i have found 4 places so far for $300 and $350 a month and looked pretty nice,I am a simple man so I do not need much But i will for sure contact you Derfish and you are right we should all ways try to help one another,thank you my friend

just be mindful that some of the posters here are p?ople of ample means, and can afford to live in condos that cost them thousands of dollars per month. those people will remind you, as often as they can, that if you live in an apartment that costs 300 dollars per month, then it must be in some dangerous barrio, and you will not be able to go through your front door. that is fiction. i live in a lovely one bedroom apartment, fully furnished, with all the creature comforts the average guy would want, and it costs less than 15,000 per month.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You can find a place for that amount but as a Gringo you will stick out like a sore dick. I don't think you will feel very comfortable in this setting especially if you have no Spanish language skills. You will not last in the barrio. Double the amount per month and find a place with good amenities and SECURITY. You have been advised, just saying.

another guy who believes that if your apartment costs 300 per month, then it is in a barrio.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
THanks Mike for that report, thousands of us do and do not tremble in fear any more than one has to back in the USA or elsewhere.

elementary mathematics, Derfish. barrio people cannot afford 15,000 pesos per month apartments. they don?t even make that much per month. the only problem you might have in such an apartment is some gringo moving in nextdoor and bringing in Belkis from the barrio, and all her kinfolk. otherwise , you will be fine. i hardly see my neighbors, let alone hear them.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Damn London have you ever had a close encounter with a Dominican? I lock my door of course, but the fear that pervades the DR1 site at times makes me wonder where these fear mongers live!
I have been mugged with a knife at my throat. That was close enough for me, thanks.

However, I live here (in Pto Pta), and before my health deteriorated I wandered all round the barrios and bateyes by day and night, despite being a decrepit old fart who could neither run nor fight, and never felt the slightest bit apprehensive apart from that one incident.

Do not direct your ire at me, but at those pampered and prejudiced North Americans who are dispensing advice from their leafy suburbs thousands of miles away.

livinglife

Nov 22, 2015
that is a $100 more a month than I pay on the Philippines but more than covers the difference in air far i would.I am expecting there will be some trade offs but that is no problem,the paso is about 46 here and maybe later I will live some place else but for now I have my sights on Sosua,a good starting point to get acquainted with people and the places and how things work and gorgon your place sounds like just what i I have now here in CDO

livinglife

Nov 22, 2015
I have never been on a form before but must tell you all I really enjoy it and I think if this is a preview of how all the foreigners get along I will be fine,for most part I think everyone is here for the same reason

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
One mans 300 dollar apartment is a gem, a diamond in the rough, a cozy compfy abode with a great location. Another mans 2000.00 U.S a month penthouse is a flop house he cant wait to get out of. Somewhere in between is where most live.

SrSuerte

May 31, 2009
I know Sosua is different from Pto Pta, but I have just renewed the contract on my unfurnished apartment in Pto Pta for another five years. The rent is a fixed 11,000 pesos (about US$245) per month plus 1000 per month for g?atchiman and 500 per month for water (we never once ran dry, even during the drought). Electric, cable and gas I pay myself.

What does g?atchiman mean? Watchman? Thanks ahead of time.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Tamborista said:
Watchman: guy that sleeps with a sawed off shotgun with no ammo.
I have lived three places in the DR. All had watchmen, but none had shotguns. Generally, of course, you are right. And that trio would win gold, silver. and bronze for Haiti were sleeping on the job an Olympic event.

A thousand pesos a month does not sound bad at all for a watchman!
Again, generally fair comment. But ours is useless. He spends most of his time watching the landlady's villa up the road and lets all and sundry through to our apartments without a clue who they might be. The only times he comes near my apartment is to collect the food my gf provides for him and occasionally around three in the morning when he wakes me up clanking about like Marley's ghost.

livinglife

Nov 22, 2015
well I think my starting point for living in the DR will be Sousa,I think I will be able to meet a lot of expats and I think a wealth of info,I will try it for a month or so and if I like it I will stay if not I will search for a better place,If there is anyone that is actually living in Sousa,I would like you input.I am learning Spanish now so in 5 months should be able to at least survive in it.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Sosua is a good starting point. Are you going to be IN Sosua, or the neighborhood in between Sosua and Cab?

Try Duolingo for you Spanish learning, it is free and easy to use.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You really are better off avoiding expats unless you are introduced by someone you trust.