Looking to Hire Expats in Sosua and Cabarete area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
Hi, am an expat too living in Sosua and am interested, however I can not find any email address,can You provide this so we can send our resume and personal info...thank You
Coralia

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
This is the content of our employment ad from the classifieds section of DR1

<TABLE border=0 rules=rows cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=650 colspan="3"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff width="50%" align=left>[FONT=Verdana,Arial]By: [/FONT]Enlightened Expressions</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff width="50%"><CENTER>[FONT=Verdana,Arial]To visit our web site[/FONT] Click Here!</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=3>[FONT=Verdana,Arial][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial]Immediate-Full-Time Customer Service Positions for Expats[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=3>
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]We are a US internet based religious items business. We sell through our website, Amazon, Sears and EBay and have already hired several Expats in the Sosua/Cabarete area to provide internet based customer service to our buyers. We hope to add a couple additional people to our team to support our rapid growth.
The right candidate will be an expat from any of the English speaking countries, be internet savvy, have strong communication skills and work ethic. Additionally, candidates must have a stable high-speed internet connection with Skype and be willing to work hard with little supervision. We provide thorough training. No sales or telephone solicitation are involved in what we do. The internet does all that work for us. The position starts at $3 USD per hour Monday thru Friday during regular business hours with weekends off. If interested, please send us your resume' and will we schedule interviews when appropriate.
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

aguas

Feb 7, 2010
Yes, we are the cause of the golbal financial collapse. Don't be silly. It's an offer of employment to those who want it an not forced on anyone. We are good people providing for our family of 8 kids and offering opportunity where little exists. How many people are you employing? How many jobs have you created?

Honestly, we're just doing the best we can here. Lighten up.

Welcome to the NEGATIVE ZONE! It wouldn't matter if you said you were trying to donate a kidney, you will meet the forces of negativity on here. Keep up the good work.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
Aguas, thank you for your note. I really appreciate it. I have been watching the Boards for several years and am always amazed that people who live in Paradise by their own choice spend so much time finding fault with everything on every subject. I am not the least bit dissuaded and am very encouraged by the wonderful people who work for us that I have hired from the DR. No amount of negativity can override the terrific experience that we are having with them and they with us. The expats I know there are wonderful, intelligent, optimistic and hard working people.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
my question is this, enlightened. why would you move to a country wherein people are poor, and bereft of opportunity, and choose not to seek to employ them, but to employ only expatriates? do you have a basic antipathy towards the locals here? bear with me on these questions, but i do find it really irritating when someone moves to a country such as this, and finds its inhabitants unworthy of consideration for a job.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
Fair question, had it been asked without conclusions drawn before my response.

That said, our plan is to hire many, many Dominicans. Before I move there it is easier for me to train in my native language. Also expats have the connectivity and equipment for remote work and training in their homes. After I move there, those we have trained will in-turn train Dominicans. With the exception of IT and Management we intend that our workforce will become 80% Dominican. It is precisely because we want to do good while making a living that we desire to come there and do our little part to create opportunity.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
my question is this, enlightened. why would you move to a country wherein people are poor, and bereft of opportunity, and choose not to seek to employ them, but to employ only expatriates? do you have a basic antipathy towards the locals here? bear with me on these questions, but i do find it really irritating when someone moves to a country such as this, and finds its inhabitants unworthy of consideration for a job.

He stated he has a virtual office and no offices in DR.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Welcome to the NEGATIVE ZONE! It wouldn't matter if you said you were trying to donate a kidney, you will meet the forces of negativity on here. Keep up the good work.
What you consider negativity, those that have employed workers in the DR regard as the facts of life. Many an employer comes here and thinks that he can take advantage of doing business in a "third world" country" by jumping at the fact that the minimum wage is about US$1.00/hr. What they don't realize is the fact that, even though most of the Dominican government is dysfunctional, the Labor Department and labor laws are quite protective of the employee, to a fault. Many employers get themselves in a bind because they believe that by employing undocumented (illegal) employees they are exempt from all the benefits required by Dominican labor law by paying a wage in excess of the minimum. If you fail to pay the extra months Christmas salary, 10% profit sharing, OT, liquidation, etc., even for an illegal employee, you are subject to the wrath of the labor board. Nonpayment of wages or benefits by the employer is considered a criminal offense punishable by a fine and up to five years in prison (Arts 198 and 211of the Labor Code). Important points to remember are that Dominican labor law is territorial and covers all (legal and illegal) workers located in the DR, and when a fact is disputed, the Labor Board will rule in favor of the employee. This is not meant as negativity, but as a warning to those who innocently may get themselves into deep sh*t. Remember, you aren't in Kansas anymore.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
Thank you for your cautious advice.

I have read the Overview of Domican Labor Law thoroughly. I see nothing in it that I am unwilling to do. Benefits, Christmas bonus, severance, work hours and hollidays, overtime, leaves, maternity, profit distribution, etc. Seems like they have just institutionalized the kinds of things that we would normally do anyway. I'm not quite sure why you call these people illegals when they are all in posession of residency status.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
I also probably should have said that I have been outsourcing to India for over ten years. I'm not new to this and assure you that the level of corruption and bureaucracy in India makes DR look like a Paradise. Everything is relative.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Thank you for your cautious advice.

I have read the Overview of Domican Labor Law thoroughly. I see nothing in it that I am unwilling to do. Benefits, Christmas bonus, severance, work hours and hollidays, overtime, leaves, maternity, profit distribution, etc. Seems like they have just institutionalized the kinds of things that we would normally do anyway. I'm not quite sure why you call these people illegals when they are all in posession of residency status.
Because not in your advt. or post do you specify residency is required nor do you specify any benefits in addition to your US$3.00/hr salary. My guess is that the majority of expats living on the north coast willing to work for $3.00/hr. have not invested in obtaining residency. Fair warning, if an employee were to turn a copy of your advt. over to the Labor Board with his complaint, you can expect a quick ruling in his favor. Many a foreign employer has had to escape from this country on short notice when faced with huge compensation awards and fines from the Labor Board. It's all fun and games until the Inspector for the Department of Labor knocks on the door.
BTW, as you say that there is 'nothing you are unwilling to do" and things that we would "normally" do, I guess you are just waiting for somebody to tell you you have to do it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Because not in your advt. or post do you specify residency is required nor do you specify any benefits in addition to your US$3.00/hr salary. My guess is that the majority of expats living on the north coast willing to work for $3.00/hr. have not invested in obtaining residency. Fair warning, if an employee were to turn a copy of your advt. over to the Labor Board with his complaint, you can expect a quick ruling in his favor. Many a foreign employer has had to escape from this country on short notice when faced with huge compensation awards and fines from the Labor Board. It's all fun and games until the Inspector for the Department of Labor knocks on the door.

I don't understand a lot of these responses to the OP's original message. He is offering to pay people to do something. Apparently some have already accepted the offer and are working.

It seems to me it is a take it or leave it offer. Those who are interested can follow up, those who are not must have better things to do than make a meal of the business, including making veiled threats.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I don't understand a lot of these responses to the OP's original message. He is offering to pay people to do something. Apparently some have already accepted the offer and are working.

It seems to me it is a take it or leave it offer. Those who are interested can follow up, those who are not must have better things to do than make a meal of the business, including making veiled threats.
Ken, you surprise me. Normally you are the cautious one and tells newbies to consult Fabio for everything. Here, a newbie to doing business in the DR, who is operating in clear violation of Dominican labor law, thinks he is smart enough to circumvent it (his business is virtual, not located here), and you tell him people are making veiled threats agains him????? In fact here is an answer Fabio gave to you in the past:
Please refer to my Overview of Dominican Labor Law (sticky post above). I'll quote the opening paragraphs:

"As a general rule, any and all relationships in which one person obliges him or herself to provide any form of service to another, in exchange for remuneration and under the direction and/or supervision of the latter, are considered to be employment contracts and subject to the provisions of the Labor Code (Arts. 1 and 2).

Such contracts, which may be verbal or written, are presumed to exist in every such case, unless proven otherwise by the employer. Given this presumption, it is quite possible for a person considered a private contractor in other jurisdictions to qualify as an employee in the Dominican Republic.

Any party to an employment contract may require the other to prepare and/or sign a written version of a previously verbal agreement (Art.19). If in writing, any modifications made to it must be in writing as well (Art. 20). Written agreements are recommended since they foster a clear and sound work relationship.

Any work carried out by a foreigner on Dominican soil is subject to the provisions of the Labor Code since Dominican labor laws are territorial in nature (Principle V of the Labor Code)."

The fact is, naive foreign employers get themselves in binds regularly with the Secretary of Labor. Nobody is telling him not to hire workers in the DR, just do it in a way that won't get himself in a bind. In addition to the DR isn't Kansas, it isn't Mumbai either.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
Let me be clear so that certain assumptions are laid to rest. We will be following all laws. We don't find them difficult or onerous. Why would I include "benefits" in my ad when they are the legal requirement and should therefore be assumed. That would be like saying work comp and overtime are included in an ad in the US. Of course they are, they're the law.

On another note; I find your condescention offensive.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
This discussion is no longer productive. I will continue to check private posts and respond to employment inquiries. I wish the rest of you well but would rather spend my time doing business than taling about it. Thanks for all of the feedback.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Let me be clear so that certain assumptions are laid to rest. We will be following all laws. We don't find them difficult or onerous. Why would I include "benefits" in my ad when they are the legal requirement and should therefore be assumed. That would be like saying work comp and overtime are included in an ad in the US. Of course they are, they're the law.

On another note; I find your condescention offensive.

That is not what you were saying 2 days ago:

Thanks for the labour law advice. I may, from America hire contract labour anywhere in the world. Ours is primarily a virtual company and all wages are paid in U.S. dollars from the U.S. I have warehouse in Kansas, storefront in New Hampshire, contractors in India and contractors in the DR. Given that there is no physical office location in the DR, I believe I am well within legal limits. I have researched this pretty thoroughly, but again really appreciate the advice and you looking out for me

Sorry if you are offended by by my alleged condensation. I was confused by your advertisement. When it promoted "spirit-filled" jewelry, I couldn't find any rum-filled items.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken, you surprise me. Normally you are the cautious one and tells newbies to consult Fabio for everything.

Yes, I tell Newbies to post legal questions in the Legal section so they can get a reply from a real lawyer. I made the same suggestion to this OP.

In the case of this thread, once a poster had pointed out the possible conflict with the Dominican labor law, why was it necessary for umpteen posters to plow the same ground? If this is a way of passing time, they might better work for the OP and get $3 more per hour than they are for writing repetitious messages.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Fair question, had it been asked without conclusions drawn before my response.

That said, our plan is to hire many, many Dominicans. Before I move there it is easier for me to train in my native language. Also expats have the connectivity and equipment for remote work and training in their homes. After I move there, those we have trained will in-turn train Dominicans. With the exception of IT and Management we intend that our workforce will become 80% Dominican. It is precisely because we want to do good while making a living that we desire to come there and do our little part to create opportunity.

Theres a smell of pyramidal sale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.