Looking to Hire Expats in Sosua and Cabarete area

Status
Not open for further replies.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Yes, I tell Newbies to post legal questions in the Legal section so they can get a reply from a real lawyer. I made the same suggestion to this OP.

In the case of this thread, once a poster had pointed out the possible conflict with the Dominican labor law, why was it necessary for umpteen posters to plow the same ground? If this is a way of passing time, they might better work for the OP and get $3 more per hour than they are for writing repetitious messages.

You're right, I guess a guy who can package and sell "divine spirit", should have no concern dealing with labor law issues.

casalinda46

Feb 18, 2011
Contacting English Speakers

We are in the process of moving our internet retail business to Cabarete/Sosua area. We took out a classified add on DR1 for customer service employees and were fortunate enough to find and hire three great expats in the Sosua area who now work for us remotely full time. I have recently posted a second ad and the response has been slow compared to the first. We need a couple more good people. This site has been great, but can anyone suggest an additional way that we get word out to the American, Canadian, British expat community that we have jobs and employment available in the DR working for a reliable American company?

Suggest that you call the City Market Supermarket management (Alexandra Brockmans) in Sosua and see if you can use their website and messaging to their elite customer base as a community service.

Kevin Manning
k.manning@live.com

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
Thank you Kevin for the first and only attempt at an aswer to the one and only question I asked. I appreciate it.

The rest of these replies are too bitter or cynicle to warrant a response.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
What we offer brings people comfort. People of all faiths without prejudice. Honestly, we are very fortunate to be able to add something to the stream of life in this way and to make a living doing it.

AndrewRP

Jan 29, 2011
Expats for work

Mike:

When are you moving? I am currently in the US but plan to move to Cabarete in the near future, fully bilingual here. Let me know when.

Thanks,

Andrew

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
We are in Cabarete right now hiring and interviewing again. We will be moving our family here in Fall, but have people working now from their homes.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thank you for your cautious advice.

I have read the Overview of Domican Labor Law thoroughly. I see nothing in it that I am unwilling to do. Benefits, Christmas bonus, severance, work hours and hollidays, overtime, leaves, maternity, profit distribution, etc. Seems like they have just institutionalized the kinds of things that we would normally do anyway. I'm not quite sure why you call these people illegals when they are all in posession of residency status.
Are you incorporated in the DR? Because to do business here you MUST be incorporated or registered with the gubmint and obtain an RNC number. Otherwise you are operating illegally and the folks you hire have little if any real protection under the law.

If you have "hired" legal residents of the DR who live here and have not incorporated or registered (more difficult than incorporating, BTW) you are operating illegally.

Additionally, I understand that 80% of your workforce must be Dominican citizens. You say you've hired 3-4 expats. I assume you also have 20 Dominicans on your payroll to operate legally.

I have a feeling you have no idea how to operate a business that complies with Dominican Law.

Now you can call that "negative." I call it fact.

Those of us who spend the actual large amount of money necessary to operate legitimate, legally compliant businesses get a little testy when we have to compete with criminals who ignore the law. We don't care if you sell enlightened religious Feel Good stuff or not.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We are in Cabarete right now hiring and interviewing again. We will be moving our family here in Fall, but have people working now from their homes.

I replied to your advertisement several days ago but have received no reply. It did not seem possible to attach CV to that message so I am requesting an email address. Can you oblige please?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
(edit: Unbelievable. People complain about criminals and gubmint/business corruption in the DR, yet choose to enable that behavior.)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Definitely not if that proves to be the case but no harm in finding out details I thought....
Understood.

The guy ought to come back after he spends the considerable time and money necessary to comply with Dominican Corporate and Labor Law with proof he's legal.

Otherwise he's screwing every person who lives here, cheating them out of badly needed tax pesos that would help with infrastructure, edumacation, health care and other sorely needed projects.

Yes, that's harsh. Also true.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I thought this was getting boring until I read the one about the lack of rum in the spirit filled jewels.. LOL:cheeky:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
no comment to some of the above comments, but why would anybody want to work 160 hours per month for a measly 450$, unless you are somehow fooled by these people and believe their crap.

enlightened1

Apr 22, 2011
We are not living in the Dominican yet. We contract expats to work for us over the internet. We are based in the US and we transfer funds to them from the US. To suggest, at this point that I have a requirement to establish a Dominican company in order to contract from the US with people working from their homes in DR is absurd in anternet business in the internet age. Check out any number of freelance websites (freelancer.com) where these services can be contracted from and to anywhere in the world including the DR. Should I sent these dollors to the Phillipines are India instead?

Of course, when we move here it will be a different matter all together. We will do ALL that is required under DR law as we will then be operating on and from DR soil. I am starting the advance work with an attorney next week in advance of our eventual move here.

Many of you people are amazingly judgemental and condemning with little to no information about us or our intent.

As to comments about fooling or taking advantage of people; that too is absurd. Our ad says what we do and what we offer. No one is forced to respond and no one is fooled. Just because you may be doing so well that a sum of money is beneath you, does not mean that is the case for everyone. Some people are really struggling out there and love the opportunity we have provided. We have single moms who could work in no other way and be home with their children that are very grateful for the opportunity. BTW none of the initial few we hired make that little now. It is a starting point.

I'm sure there will be an abundance of negativity to this post, but remain glad for the experience as we have all the really terrific resume's we need for this round of hiring.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Just to clarify, if someone works full time for you on a long term basis it is not considered contract work. It is an employer employee relationship and you are subject to the Dominican Labor Code.

You do make a good point - for some this would be much needed income. For others it won't work. It is not for any of us to judge on individuals needs.

It is our right to take you to task for circumventing the labor code. For those of us who live and work here and pay our share of taxes we get ****ed off at those who do not. Simple.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We are not living in the Dominican yet. We contract expats to work for us over the internet. We are based in the US and we transfer funds to them from the US. To suggest, at this point that I have a requirement to establish a Dominican company in order to contract from the US with people working from their homes in DR is absurd in anternet business in the internet age. Check out any number of freelance websites (freelancer.com) where these services can be contracted from and to anywhere in the world including the DR. Should I sent these dollors to the Phillipines are India instead?

Of course, when we move here it will be a different matter all together. We will do ALL that is required under DR law as we will then be operating on and from DR soil. I am starting the advance work with an attorney next week in advance of our eventual move here.

Many of you people are amazingly judgemental and condemning with little to no information about us or our intent.

As to comments about fooling or taking advantage of people; that too is absurd. Our ad says what we do and what we offer. No one is forced to respond and no one is fooled. Just because you may be doing so well that a sum of money is beneath you, does not mean that is the case for everyone. Some people are really struggling out there and love the opportunity we have provided. We have single moms who could work in no other way and be home with their children that are very grateful for the opportunity. BTW none of the initial few we hired make that little now. It is a starting point.

I'm sure there will be an abundance of negativity to this post, but remain glad for the experience as we have all the really terrific resume's we need for this round of hiring.
You continue to show your ignorance of Dominican Law.

To do ANY kind of business here you must either be incorporated or registered and obtain an RNC, period.

It doesn't matter if YOU are elsewhere. It matters where the business is conducted. And just because it's innerweb based doesn't mean the Law doesn't apply to you because your EMPLOYEES live in the DR. There is little distinction between an employee and contractor under Dominican law. (In fact, it's very, very difficult to have "contractors" under US law; the IRS has those 21 questions that must be properly answered...and that is a TOUGH assignment.)

You are flat wrong in your plan. What you do is outside Dominican law. To now say "well, I'll consult an attorney" shows me you don't have a clue on how to run a business because ANYONE with an hour experience KNOWS the FIRST thing you do is form a legal entity that fully complies with prevailing code.

To those of us who pay upwards of $2000 a year just to maintain a Dominican corporation...and I'm not even talking about filing taxes and social security...it's people like you who really make us get hot under the collar.

And since you're not currently based in the DR (not that it matters under DR law since your employees are there), please tell us your corporate name and FEI in the state you're incorporated so reasonable prospective employees can properly vet your proper legal standing. I suspect you can't even do that.

BTW-are 80% of your employees Dominican CITIZENS? Because the LAW says they must be.

Last edited:

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
no comment to some of the above comments, but why would anybody want to work 160 hours per month for a measly 450$, unless you are somehow fooled by these people and believe their crap.

So you can subsidize his eight kids. Duh! Now if you want to be able to support your own family, TS, find another way.

My father paid his carpenters in the 1980's more than what they typically make now in a U.S. city (NOT adjusted for inflation) - because he believed they were entitled to make a living wage before he made significant profits. Definitions of morality in business have changed a lot and I think outsourcing has a lot to do with it. Really, really not a fan.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Definitions of morality in business have changed a lot and I think outsourcing has a lot to do with it. Really, really not a fan.
Outsourcing is not the villain, those that take advantage of the system are. By offering a subsistance wage to a population which may be desperate is illegal and immoral. What is being offered here is no different than what was done in the sweatshops of the US a hundred years ago. Yes, labor laws may prevent people from working, but they guarantee minimum standards which the employee is entitled to. Under the OP's theory, I should be able to hire any undocumented worker in NYC, pay him $3.00/hr, work him 60 hrs/week, as long as I operate on the internet and send him money from outside the US. Screw taxes, FICA, UI, etc. "But judge, I conducted my business on the internet from outside the US" won't fly as a defense. BTW, ask any internet gambling site owner why a warrant is out for them in the US.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
Hola

We are in the process of moving our internet retail business to Cabarete/Sosua area. We took out a classified add on DR1 for customer service employees and were fortunate enough to find and hire three great expats in the Sosua area who now work for us remotely full time. I have recently posted a second ad and the response has been slow compared to the first. We need a couple more good people. This site has been great, but can anyone suggest an additional way that we get word out to the American, Canadian, British expat community that we have jobs and employment available in the DR working for a reliable American company?

Hello
I am an American expat here for 6 years and always looking for additional sources of income. My email is peemck@yahoo.com. Let me know what you have in mind. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.