Los ni?os re Ranchito Piche, Diego d Ocampo

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
=chola1978;696288]Well when everythign is in low supply.
1. Uniforms
2. School Shoes
3. note books, coloring materials
4.Electrical lamps and wires
5. Water cooler for they cna drink agua purificadd
6. Vitamins
7. Maps, Arts and crafts
8. I am donating a Basketball court, so we will need some building material to close upthe playing ground
9. A career day so they cna have visitors from all over the world and give thme some hope.
10. Help Porf. Urena alphabetize the kids
11. All the books we can get for early education.
AHHHHHH. let give them a great Christmas... i am shooting for a toy drive in DR1 only 21 kids so should not be such a large task...

Great idea on the 'career day', i think its so important for kids to learn that there is hope out there, that they can go beyond the 5th grade or high school.

notebooks are expensive in the DR, the composition notebooks are like over a dollar each where here in the states you might find them for half the price, and those are the notebooks they use, don't know why but the spiral notebooks are soo much cheaper.

Que Dios te bendiga por lo k haces.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Albin,
ideas sound great.
and for a garden to start you do not even need several tareas of land.
we have here at one started a composting woms site, just to introduce the kiddies in the stuff, and you can be damn sure they will bring their idea home and the parents have to look for the space(you can start it in a shoe box) so their kids can take care about it, and that way they learn about the trash dumped out here on daily bases.
you take care about your jeepeta(i know know that you are not one of the big mouthed subsecretary wannabees who get paid jeepetas from the gubmin, i hate them) and let me know when you can pass by. i will keep a 5+ maletas always ready for ya.
including a good calculator for each kiddy up there.
Mike

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
they use the composition books because they last longer, more durable i guess. christmas is actually a really good time to "re-new" notebooks. and other school supplies.

when i taught in a formal classroom, we did a lot of science projects with plants and gardening because it is cheap and easy. start with some flowers in cups that they can take home to mom, or better - when they are grown, teach them to transplant them to a bigger area. then go with vegetables, etc... kids love to see things grow.

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
oohh yes,
they love that,
and they love to be in charge of it,
even if it is only a little flower.
and it teaches them to be in charge of something living, to take care about it, even when a long weekend provides to be for several days off school or even off the house. smaller plants in a small handy pot are best, they can carry that with 'em even when traveling to visit family on an other side of the island, and they will take their beloved plant with 'em.
Mike

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
My next plan visit to Piche is on the 19th I ma taking a Doctor to check thme up an give them the medicine we gather so far. If any one her in the vally has any supplies that would like to donta please shoot me an email albin@opusgamma.com....
Ah please give give us a picture of you and your family for a arts and craft about the friends of the family I want the kids to take care of. i had to go this Wednesday but jeep is out of duty for offroading....

Mike i like the idea of taking a plant to thier house as a school project.
La teacher , your right the Profe ask me for the school suplies cuz everything that the parent had bought so far have been wasted and destroy du to bad management....

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
We are discussing the possibility of helping. My students want to know:

How many kids total in school
How many grades are in the school
How high do the grades go
Age range
Sports played in town--so we can gather equipment
What type of arts and crafts supplies are most needed
Will my students be able to stay with host families together
Will they be camping
What airport is closest

The kids are quite into the idea!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006

Age range
Will they be camping
What airport is closest

What a great idea Mainegirl.....

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
best way to coordinate

Age range
Will they be camping
What airport is closest

MainGirl
The school has 21 student so far
grade kinder to 4th grade.
This is a elementary school so it should go up to 8th grade, since there is no middle school here
So far we have a few 5year old boys and girls and the oldest i have found in the class is 13.
( ill post individual pictures of every child with a small bio...Will be working on this this week.
I have donate a basketball court so they will be playing or learning t play basketball, their is also a baseball feel in the area about 30 minutes walk...
Art and craft...current count of supplies = 0 so everything that should be use in elementary schools.
Host families. This is a very humble part fo the country and people are very accommodating. My best be is to use the SOECI sleeping dorms that hold 50 guest and has a nice area for camping also.
plus the kids can also participate in other activities such as conserving the woods and sustainable agriculture...
The school is about 1hr drive from Santiago Airport and about the same form Puerto Plata

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
OK, the kids are getting very excited, and are proposing this trip to the school board. At this point I need to talk directly to a contact.

Can the point person (chola?) send me a pm with a number?

The kid want to "adopt" students in school at the very least, so those pics would be great.....we need ages sizes etc.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Well weather is getting bad in the Pico today so if it does not clear up..might have to cancel the trip...
Not safe to drive in the that road with mud.....
Ill keep posted if i do go up today.. I am planing on leaving at 2pm.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
29wnyfb.jpg