Magic Jack

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I've used both. I like Magic jack because I cal call back any phone in the US.

I like SKype because I can make a video call to anyone in the World that is using Skype. Yes you can make calls to phones but that means buying mins.
Skype to Skype is free and the quality is great as long as both parties have good connections.

Just video chatted with a friend in Brasil for an hour. Didn't drop once.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
As Windeguy said there's really no need for Magicjack anymore. Just get a google voice account and you can call anyone in The US for free or in The DR for about 6 cents a minute

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
As Windeguy said there's really no need for Magicjack anymore. Just get a google voice account and you can call anyone in The US for free or in The DR for about 6 cents a minute

suarezn: Thanks but I am still very happy with my magicjack.
I paid $69.00 dollars for extra 5 years service.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
suarezn: Thanks but I am still very happy with my magicjack.
I paid $69.00 dollars for extra 5 years service.

I'm not unhappy with mine per se. My comment was as to why pay for something you don't really need anymore even if it's really cheap.

Reactions: Lucille

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008

I have Magic Jack & Vonage and prefer them to Skype or Google Voice because I like the sensation of using a proper telephone handset.

When using Skype etc, I do not like the ear buds or head gear needed; it makes me feel like a nerdy space cadet. :ermm:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I have Magic Jack & Vonage and prefer them to Skype or Google Voice because I like the sensation of using a proper telephone handset.

When using Skype etc, I do not like the ear buds or head gear needed; it makes me feel like a nerdy space cadet. :ermm:

I just use my android Cellphone when calling using google voice. Paying 0.06 cents the minute when calling landlines, 0.11 when calling cellphones.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

SKYPE has desktop phones and you do not have to use a computer, just plug into an ETHERNET connection.

Google Voice using Gizmo you can use an ATA box, thus use regular phones using an ETHERNET connection. Only draw back is that to make an OUTGOING call, you need to initiate it on your computer.

I have my Magic Jack number transferred to my Google number and it rings my Panasonic Dect6.0 Cordless phones.

My SKYPE is always on with a cordless Skype phone also.

PS: I don?t like the sound on Skype?s cordless phones, but the desktop Skype phone is very good.

Now that I said that, I will go forward my Skype to my Google number... hehehehe

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
SKYPE has desktop phones and you do not have to use a computer, just plug into an ETHERNET connection.

Google Voice using Gizmo you can use an ATA box, thus use regular phones using an ETHERNET connection. Only draw back is that to make an OUTGOING call, you need to initiate it on your computer.

I have my Magic Jack number transferred to my Google number and it rings my Panasonic Dect6.0 Cordless phones.

My SKYPE is always on with a cordless Skype phone also.

PS: I don?t like the sound on Skype?s cordless phones, but the desktop Skype phone is very good.

Now that I said that, I will go forward my Skype to my Google number... hehehehe

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Thanks Gents (Santiago & Extreme). I feel like a caveman as I am not up to date on these options. I'll probably look into them, but am very content with the service and price of Vonage & Magic Jack.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Tech support for magicjack:
lately some people will get their MJ stuck on "signing in" message and won't advance. This is because codetel is blocking some ports. So just reboot (power off and then power on) your dsl modem (notice its the modem, not the router). You can reboot both but dls modem has to be powered off and on to see if mj will connect to a different port. This will solve your problem.
AZB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Tech support for magicjack:
lately some people will get their MJ stuck on "signing in" message and won't advance. This is because codetel is blocking some ports. So just reboot (power off and then power on) your dsl modem (notice its the modem, not the router). You can reboot both but dls modem has to be powered off and on to see if mj will connect to a different port. This will solve your problem.
AZB

If there's a way you can prove that you can take that claim to INDOTEL. INDOTEL is really mad with Codetel since Slim took over as they have transformed the pride of DR's telecommunication into a ****hole.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Have you guys made your magic jack payments without a problem?
My friend tried to pay for one year only and the system did not allow her, same thing happened to me when my 1st year was due I had to pay for 5 years instead of 1 year.
UH....:ermm:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Have you guys made your magic jack payments without a problem?
My friend tried to pay for one year only and the system did not allow her, same thing happened to me when my 1st year was due I had to pay for 5 years instead of 1 year.
UH....:ermm:

I had no problem paying for a single year. You have to contact tech support and they take care of it.