Magic Jack

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would doubt you need upload speed with ANY VOIP service at 300 kbps. Most codecs (e.g. g729) which is POTS quality, requires about 15 kbps with overhead. Even if you want g711 ulaw (no compression) you need only 64 kbps (same as one voice channel on analogue phone line).

I stand by what I said. With 15kbps Magic Jack will never work.

Pandaris

May 20, 2008
majic jack

Here's a good one for you. My Majic Jack worked fine until this visit and now it doesn't, it tells me I need to connect to the internet. After searching their web site (forever) I found that they have a techchat help line (www.majicjack/techchat) After spending an hour with "Danta" download this download that try this and try that, I was passed on the the next level. "Hero" took me through the same routine again and then I was passed to the next level. "Avril" tells me that my ISP (the Cable Co)is blocking me. My neighbor also has Majic Jack plus the same ISP and has no problems I tell "avril", better talk to your ISP and have a nice day, she types back to me. Oh well no Majic Jack for me for the time being, but skype works well.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Pandaris, sorry to hear you had no luck with your MJ but thanks for the tech chat link I will try them with my problem and report back.
Mack.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Here's a good one for you. My Majic Jack worked fine until this visit and now it doesn't, it tells me I need to connect to the internet. After searching their web site (forever) I found that they have a techchat help line (www.majicjack/techchat) After spending an hour with "Danta" download this download that try this and try that, I was passed on the the next level. "Hero" took me through the same routine again and then I was passed to the next level. "Avril" tells me that my ISP (the Cable Co)is blocking me. My neighbor also has Majic Jack plus the same ISP and has no problems I tell "avril", better talk to your ISP and have a nice day, she types back to me. Oh well no Majic Jack for me for the time being, but skype works well.

I have the exact same problem. I have not been able to use my magic jack. I get a message that says it is not connected to the internet.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
I connected to MJ live chat here is the complete chat:
You are now chatting with 'Sebastian'

Sebastian: Hello, how may I help you?

Mack: when I connect sometimes it skips and sometimes it's fine but lately most times I connect then a few seconds later I get three rapid beeps then I disconnect. I redial, connect then the same thing. This is very frustrating.

Sebastian: Hi Mack

Sebastian: Please perform following steps:

Sebastian: 1. Click Start tab and open your control panel..

Sebastian: 2. Go to internet options..

Sebastian: 3. under privacy tab.. Slide bar down to "allow all cookies"

Sebastian: 4. Under security tab click on "trusted sites" then click the "sites" button..

Sebastian: 5. Type the following address into the text box..

Sebastian: 6. https://reg.talk4free.com click the "add" button..

Sebastian: 7. Type in the following address.. https://my.magicjack.com and click "add".

Sebastian: 8. Uncheck the box at bottom left of window that says "require server verification..." click "ok"

Sebastian: 9. Then click "Ok" close the internet options.

Sebastian: 10. Unplug the magic jack and plug it back into a different usb port.

Sebastian: Let me know when you are done.

Mack: Question: now that I've done that should I reset my accept all cookies to secure?

Sebastian: Ok

Sebastian: On your desktop, please right click on "My computer" icon. Then choose properties..

Sebastian: Click on hardware tab once there, click "Device Manager"

Sebastian: On the device manager, please click on the + sign for Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Tell me which one you see in there USB Internet phone by Tiger Jet or USB Audio Device.

Sebastian: If tigerjet -- right click then uninstall

Sebastian: Unplug your MagicJack for 4 minutes then plug it back.

Mack: I see USB Audio Device

Sebastian: Download and run the Recover Tool from the link below. After running the tool, Unplug your MagicJack, wait 60 seconds, and plug it back in.

Sebastian: http://www.magicjack.com/site/downloads/mjrecover_setup.exe

Sebastian: When you get a message "No Device Found" please unplug your MagicJack, wait 60 seconds, and plug it back in.

Mack: Ok I've done that.

Sebastian: Please try to make a test call now.

Mack: I made a test call to a number where I knew I would get an answer machine and it seemed to work fine. Unfortunately it's too early on a Saturday morning to call anyone I can talk live to :-(

Sebastian: you can check it later

Sebastian: I hope it works fine now.

Sebastian: If you again face any issue please do contact with us, We are here 24*7 to assist you.

Sebastian: :)

Mack: Ok thanks.

Sebastian: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!

Sebastian: You are welcome and have a great time ahead!!
I'll report back later after I make a live call.
Mack.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Ok I've made 4 calls now and other than the odd skip on one call, which could be the connection at the other end, it has been just fine.
So at the moment it looks like problem solved. :)
Mack.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I'm in shock. It appears that somewhere out there is the odd customer service person who knows what he is doing! You da man Sebastian!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have used my magicjack with windows xp, vista and even with windows 7 without any problems. I have used it on wifi in hotels in USA, colombia, airport wifi, wifi in malls, bus stations in various cities in colombia, even stealing signal from neighbors etc and I have yet to have any problems. I have used it in all over DR, santiago capital , puerto plata hotels, malls, cafes and home, on codetel dsl and even on cable in SD and I have yet to have any problems. I have used it on all sorts PC, desk tops and laptops (i own 3 laptops) and I still have not seen any problems.
So what is the issue you folks are having?
By the way (TJ) I have used my magicjack in your dr1 office as well without any problems. I am unable to get any problems with magicjack. I bet even if I take it to Timbuktu, it will work flawlessly.
So please tell me, why I am not having any issues with magicjack?
Note: windows 7 users, you have to download a small patch file before you connect from magicJack in support section.
AZB
P.S, I use more googlevoice+gizmo5+linksys pap2-na than magicjack now. It works like a charm and my magicjack number is forwarded to my google voice. I have my pap2-na (unlocked vonage type sip device) is connected directly to my router and no laptop needs to be on to receive calls. Best of all, its free always.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Judging from what I have seen so far on people who have magicjack problems are the same people who make problems for themselves. They have cookies blocked, have customs firewalls installed, heavy duty anti virus programs running, have music download programs that logs on and runs in the background when windows start example: limewire and torrent programs etc. they eat up the upload speed and even download speeds, especially in DR. These are the same people who know little about computers and how they work. They only know how to use the programs they use and if things go wrong, they are at a dead end road and have to call tech support.
My computers are simple and I do not use any junk that comes with new pcs. I take out the junk and stop any unnecessary programs from running when windows start. I never have any problems. Every 2 years, I reformat the drive and reinstall fresh copy of windows.
By the way, if a fresh copy of vista is installed without junk programs that comes with restore disc or restore partition in pc, vista runs even faster than xp if installed properly and junk is disabled. I have installed a fresh copy of vista (retail version-home premium 32) on my brother's laptop and just simple drivers. Wow, it seems the laptop runs 2-3 times faster now than when it came new with all the junk installed.
AZB

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
AZB This was helpful for some readers I'm sure;
Note: windows 7 users, you have to download a small patch file before you connect from magicJack in support section.
AZB
P.S, I use more googlevoice+gizmo5+linksys pap2-na than magicjack now. It works like a charm and my magicjack number is forwarded to my google voice. I have my pap2-na (unlocked vonage type sip device) is connected directly to my router and no laptop needs to be on to receive calls. Best of all, its free always.
But how is this rant helpful to anyone?
Judging from what I have seen so far on people who have magicjack problems are the same people who make problems for themselves. They have cookies blocked, have customs firewalls installed, heavy duty anti virus programs running, have music download programs that logs on and runs in the background when windows start example: limewire and torrent programs etc. they eat up the upload speed and even download speeds, especially in DR. These are the same people who know little about computers and how they work. They only know how to use the programs they use and if things go wrong, they are at a dead end road and have to call tech support.
My computers are simple and I do not use any junk that comes with new pcs. I take out the junk and stop any unnecessary programs from running when windows start. I never have any problems. Every 2 years, I reformat the drive and reinstall fresh copy of windows.
By the way, if a fresh copy of vista is installed without junk programs that comes with restore disc or restore partition in pc, vista runs even faster than xp if installed properly and junk is disabled. I have installed a fresh copy of vista (retail version-home premium 32) on my brother's laptop and just simple drivers. Wow, it seems the laptop runs 2-3 times faster now than when it came new with all the junk installed.
I'm sure you could be a bit more constructive if you put your mind to it.
Mack.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm having the same problem "Please connect to the Internet" Tried the above without luck.

Any other Ideas?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm having the same problem "Please connect to the Internet" Tried the above without luck.

Any other Ideas?

Henry03

Nov 11, 2002
Magic jack

Lucy's Spa in Costambar, in front of Jenny's Market was selling magic jacks. Last time I checked she had three for sale at US$60 each.

LA71009

May 13, 2009

Any other Ideas?

Sometime that happens to me, and when it does it usually means that the server magicjack is looking for to register your MJ in their system isn't answering or is unavailable at the moment, so therefore it's asking YOU to connect, because the MJ software thinks it's YOU who's not on the internet
when in FACT it's their server that's not there.

Don't ask me why, but the Head of their Technical Dept. is a good friend of mine, and that's what I got out of him on the phone. Hope I explained it right.

BTW: if you have any probs with MJ and can't get any help from tech chat, lemme know, I got the phone number goes right to Dan Borislow, and he answers his own phone ( or sometimes Rickard does), but it cuts thru red tape, and stuff masnages to get fixed really quick.

daniel san

Mar 16, 2009
My Magic Jack just broke. Does anyone here know where I can buy a Magic Jack in Sosua or Cabarete?

Thanks In Advance!

DS

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
At the computer store behind Bailey's restaurant they had some for sale awhile ago. I have not been in there lately, but they were selling them.

Henry03

Nov 11, 2002
MagicJack
Daniel San
If you are in the Costambar area, I know that Lucys Massage and Spa has two or three MagicJacks for sale.
H

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Santo Domingo

Any one know where a mag
ic jack phone/account can be purchased in Santo Domingo????

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
There was a Magicjack store in Puerto Plata. If you go to Sams bar they should know where it is. It's not far from there

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They are sold pretty much all over the DR. Just go to a few computer stores in SD and ask. No need to go to PP for one.