Magic Jack

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Anyone figured out how to use a magicjack on a mac? If so can you tell me how. When I plug the magicjack in I get an error message the device is not recognized and I have the option to ignore or eject it. Neither does anything.

Jan 17, 2009
Have you guys made your magic jack payments without a problem?
My friend tried to pay for one year only and the system did not allow her, same thing happened to me when my 1st year was due I had to pay for 5 years instead of 1 year.
UH....:ermm:

Paid for one more year in July. Had to google how to do it, but did it afterwards with no more issues.

Reactions: Lucille

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks. I tried going to the internet cafe and upgrading it on a pc and then trying it on the mac but it still doesn't show up.

Jan 17, 2009
What OS do you have? I've been using magic jack in my macbook pro (Leopard) since I got it. No problem installing it. May be it's your magic jack that is defective.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I have mac OS X version 10.5.8. I'm not sure if that's Leopard or not. I don't think the magicjack is defective because when I've taken it to an internet cafe it works. Are you able to update the magicjack on your macbook pro?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
in capital,codetel is port blocking. Try restarting your modem and see what happens.
MJ works fine in london and even in pakistan.
AZB

Jan 17, 2009
<< Are you able to update the magicjack on your macbook pro? >>

Yes, I hadn't used it for a while and when I plugged it in, it downloaded an update (this was in July or August). BTW, Leopard is 10.5. I'm connected to Codetel, but I'm in the north coast. If it works in an Internet cafe, then it must be what AZB says, that your ISP is blocking the port.

Oh, just occurred to me, I may be wrong, but I think I've read somewhere that it only works on IntelMacs.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Interesting. I have an Intel Mac but am on Delancer. Maybe that's why it's not working.
We just got a new router but it didn't work with the old one either.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have been having issues with my MJ - couldn't be heard when I accepted a call, no problem making them.

Went to the various forums, couldn't find an answer.

Today I contacted MJ chat 24/7 support via their main site and got someone who knew what they were doing; and that person actually had to escalate it and the next person fixed it. Yippee.

Don't stop before the miracle. They have good people on their chat - or the 3 I spoke to were good and very thorough.

Feel good to post good news especially re tech support.

Reactions: waytogo and Lucille
I chatted with Magic Jack customer service today, and apparently they are working on including the DR area codes for registration purposes:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Bradley'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK43606331026X

SepaHunt: Hello

Bradley: Hello, how may I help you?

SepaHunt: Can Magic Jack be registered in a foreign country?

SepaHunt: Can I assign it a Dominican Republic area code and number?

Bradley: Yes SepaHunt, it is possible and you can choose any of the are code in this link:

Bradley: Available Area Codes

Bradley: magicJack - Area Codes - Official Website - Never Pay a Monthly Phone Bill Again!

SepaHunt: I can give it a number of the Dominican republic instead of the U.S.?

Bradley: Yes, as long as the area code is listed in the link above.

SepaHunt: It appears to be only the US and Canada

SepaHunt: ...that's offered

Bradley: May I have the area code of your choice so that I can check it here in my end?

SepaHunt: 829, 809 or 849. Any of those three.

Bradley: Thank you.

Bradley: Please wait while I check that for you

SepaHunt: Thanks

Bradley: No problem.

Bradley: One moment please...

Bradley: Thank you for waiting.

Bradley: As I have checked it here in my end, the are codes that you want to have is not yet offered as of the moment. Please allow me to inform you that we are working to give you more area codes and that includes the are code (829) and (849). However, we do not have an exact time frame yet.

Bradley: We will post it on our website as soon as it is available.You may visit our website every now and then for important announcements about the feature.

Bradley: And I apologize for the inconvenience but the area code that you are looking for is not offered yet as our engineers are working on releasing the new area codes at this time.

SepaHunt: They are working toward including those area codes?

Bradley: yes they are, please do check our website from time to time.

Reactions: AlterEgo