Main road between Sosua and Cabarete

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Gee there must be an election coming up.... you think. What ever repair they do it will have to last 4 more years. It is the one benefit of the elections. We get temporary road improvements :)

Bob K

I second that.

Just went through "El Ensueno" in Santiago today for my water run, I was amazed, nice fresh asphalt on the roads there.

I think they use "Water soluble" asphalt to keep the expenditures down and have something to show off to the people each election year.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
good asphalt can last 20 years. that should tell you what they use here.

THere were a few holes in front of the house we moved into about Xmas. A couple of weeks later there was a pair of guys with a sack of concrete mix and a wheel barrow filling the holes in the asphalt with concrete. So far they have held up. We'll see.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
There are 3 problems. There is no or very little sub base. They mostly put on top of the sand or dirt. They asphalt is too thin. Should be at least 4 in. You make more money putting down 2in. And with all that said the overloaded truck break it up. All most 2x the normal load limits. It is what it is.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
Let's just enjoy the ride while it lasts. To celebrate the end of the uphill slalom I even took the journey from Sosua to Cabarete two times yesterday, Gorditos for lunch and Sushi for dinner.

The problem is, I still cant really enjoy it.

I know there are potholes down there just waiting to appear 5meters in the front of me.
I can feel them watching and laughing about our ignorance. Revenge will be theirs. Exterminate :dead:

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Let's just enjoy the ride while it lasts. To celebrate the end of the uphill slalom I even took the journey from Sosua to Cabarete two times yesterday, Gorditos for lunch and Sushi for dinner.

The problem is, I still cant really enjoy it.

I know there are potholes down there just waiting to appear 5meters in the front of me.
I can feel them watching and laughing about our ignorance. Revenge will be theirs. Exterminate :dead:

Love gorditos!!
You know how all over the island they put a rope or string across the road to slow down traffic and request a donation for a cause, sick, dead, unemployed person. Well if they did that just to get some money to repair that one little spot by the hill on the turn and pay the workers a premium, I would chip in, just so my heart doesn't skip a beat when people swerve to miss the numerous holes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The sloppy patch job just past Coconut palms is still holding up. There are still many smaller pot holes on either side of that patched up section that should also have been fixed now before they get worse. .

There is one large rectangular hole that really needs to be fixed almost across from the entrance to Encuentro beach on the south side of the road. It is deep enough that if you hit it you can damage your tire or rim.
It seems they ran out of asphalt and will let any other repairs go wanting for a while.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so i drove to the airport today and noted that the road to sosua is somewhat patched. i say "somewhat" because on a short stretch between gran parada and montellano they put new layer of asphalt on both lines but skipped on the middle part. so in places, the double yellow line is a trench about one inch lower than the rest of the road :cheeky: :laugh:

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
They also fixed a long stretch along the coastal gas station direction to Cabarete a week ago or so, one side only of course.

The thing I don't understand, how is it even possible to make a newly paved surface THAT uneven? Don't want to complain to, better than the potholes before.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
so i drove to the airport today and noted that the road to sosua is somewhat patched. i say "somewhat" because on a short stretch between gran parada and montellano they put new layer of asphalt on both lines but skipped on the middle part. so in places, the double yellow line is a trench about one inch lower than the rest of the road :cheeky: :laugh:

On the sixth I went to the airport and they were patching a large section in that same general area. SO that is how it ended up, huh?

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
they are trying to use the smoothseal method of road preservation. That is the reason it is thin. the exposed center line is for safety (not sure it matters here). This method is to preserve roads in fairly decent condition. They are really asking too much IMO for the smoothseal. They have all kinds of recipes for this with aggregate and additives. They should lay it down continuous but it is ok if they com back and fill. it butts up fine. We used to call it safety upgrading in USA when I worked for DOT. Of course we did a better job.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think exposed centre line is because they had the asphalt but no yellow paint :cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm going to las terrenas soon so i will report on pre-election road situation :)

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
It's a steel rooler. Seems to have done a reasonably job,Bout I give it 2-3 months. Too many big trucks and when it raines it breaks up.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
tell me eggzactlywhere these holes are ....ill be looking for a location to repair tires soon...

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
It's a steel rooler. Seems to have done a reasonably job,Bout I give it 2-3 months. Too many big trucks and when it raines it breaks up.

good steel is required. like I said this method is for preventive maintenance, and in actuality is for no more than 2500 3000 cars a day. it does cero to improve the road structure. I don't know what recipe the use, probably tar ,used moto tires and fake olive oil, with a few pieces of presidente bottles