Making the move

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Understood on NGO's.

Charities are active in the border region. The three I mentioned were here on charity work.

Not only will charity work NOT pay - lots of the charities here expect the volunteers to pay for the experience!

The OP might want to consider the PEace Corps - although there is no guarantee of getting the DR as an assignment.

But at least the Peace Corp pays! not much, of course, but living expenses and medical coverage. Most of the Peace Corps positions require a college degree but there are some that are open.

But the OP should be aware that there are thousands of people in the DR who have experience in hotel and bars - even with college degrees- and that he needs to bring something "extra" to the table in order to present as a candidate about the locals.

Fluent Russian, for instance, --that would be a plus

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Agreed.

Hotel, restaurant and bar work in Samana is most unlikely to happen. Most businesses are French owned and Haitians stand a much better chance of legal work because of language and cost.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
just go for it... lifes an adventure.. make sure to bring 10k to get you through the first 4 months..

thats what im saying also..dont worry about it.. Just bring lots of money, and everything will be FINE.. but i would up that to $15K for the first 4-6 months, better make it $20K...

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Excuse me, did not think it was necessary to tell you every detail of my finances but it will be ok. I am moving to a foreign country, of course I am lost. Intensive googling is about the best I can do here. I expect to work hard and sacrifice a lot to live in the sun. Do not expect to have fun and head to the beach every morning. I am sorry that you are not open minded to the fact that some individuals are capable of having the opportunity to try something, see if it works or not, and then have a plan b.

Like I said, advice is appreciated.

This is your best bet from the start.......plan 'A' hasn't been well researched......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Another inspiring thread. A shame you all can't explain the difficulties of moving here without all the drama and bashing.

Chobby, there are a lot of people on DR1 who do live in DR, it can be done. You're doing the right thing by asking a lot of questions now, before you move. Just try to ignore the snarky posters, you'll find some good info tucked in between them.

Also, without knowing your age range, years of work experience, about any income that you'll have from abroad, etc., it's hard to give advice to you. Are you moving to DR because of someone you met there?

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Another inspiring thread. A shame you all can't explain the difficulties of moving here without all the drama and bashing.

Chobby, there are a lot of people on DR1 who do live in DR, it can be done. You're doing the right thing by asking a lot of questions now, before you move. Just try to ignore the snarky posters, you'll find some good info tucked in between them.

Also, without knowing your age range, years of work experience, about any income that you'll have from abroad, etc., it's hard to give advice to you. Are you moving to DR because of someone you met there?

Early to mid 20's, 5 years in the hotel hospitality industry post high school. Country of orgin not sure.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

AE - I think that OP told us that he is young, has about 5 years of work experience in the hotel industry, and speaks Spanish.
I do not think that there really are as many folks who are just going to pick up and try it here since the crackdown on visas -

here are the requirements for residency - http://www.domrep.org/visa.html

If the OP cannot satisfy the "financial solvency" -- which no one is absolutely clear on- but appears to be a minimum of $1500 am month - do you think that he will get a visa to work here??

Sure - he can always take a "flyer" come down, see if he can find work in a hotel... maybe they will even give him a room? But the employer will be subject to a fine for hiring him and he will be liable to deportation.

Things are not as they were even 5 years ago.

(Well, we don't know if they are really different on the ground - the LAWs are different)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi everybody,

I am another expat who has decided to make the move to DR. After reading many and many discouraging reasons said not to, I am still interested in doing so. I am young, no huge responsibilities tying me to the US, and have always had that crazy passion for the Caribbean. I know it will not be easy as I am continuously reading into what needs to be done, but I am begging for some advice that I cannot find via google. I visited for my second time in July, for a month, traveled around every coast and have narrowed in on the southwest region and Las Terrenas for relocating. My first choice would be the south of Barahona, but this is where I may need someone to talk some sense into me. I am in love with the mountains, right beside the sea, and the lack of other expats. However, I will need to find some sort of small job and I feel it is hopeless when it comes to that region. Is this true? Also, I am looking into finding a small home to rent for a year. If it is even a little possible for me to find work there (does not need to be high paying), I would like to try. Las Terrenas is beautiful and by the sea, with more tourists, which could be more ideal for me finding work there. I realize the cost of renting would be more expensive. Are there any neighborhoods outside of town that one would suggest to look into?

1. Finding work and renting home south of Barahona
2. Finding work and renting home in less crowded area of Las Terrenas

I am visiting once more for a week to look around in person, but will be deciding between the two locations before so, given limited time. I will be living with a Dominican (who is also helping) if that makes any difference to you regards to the neighborhood, etc.

I am lost, any insight is appreciated and would benefit my searching.

Thank you in advance.

you state that you will be living with a Dominican. you also stated that you are considering different areas of preference for a place to live.

what this suggests to me is that the Dominican with whom you will be living is not someone who is settled, has a house or an apartment, and is in a position to prop you up, should things get dodgy. seems to me like said person might be a love interest, and you want to move here to be with him, or her.

be careful waht you wish for.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
OK Let's stop here with the assumptions and let the OP tells us. We might of scared away the OP away like always...............

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

Chobby,

First, welcome to DR1.

What AE said +100

One of the best tools for figuring out your living costs happens to be a long-lived thread on this site. It's voluminous, but well worth your time: http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/112283-Living-Costs-in-the-Dominican-Republic

My advice would be to tread slowly. If you can, save up your money, and come out for a short time, say 1-4 months. Rent a "normal" apartment, and try to live there (as opposed to being in vacation mode). You'll learn a ton in that period, won't commit yourself to anything you can't get out of, and will at a minimum have some really great stories to tell.

Either way, good luck. :glasses: <--- actual pic of me, lol.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Hi everybody,

I am another expat who has decided to make the move to DR. After reading many and many discouraging reasons said not to, I am still interested in doing so. I am young, no huge responsibilities tying me to the US, and have always had that crazy passion for the Caribbean. .

yes --He may be a She - one does not know.

There may be other opportunities-- south of Barahona there are a couple of new hotels - French -- and one of them large - where having someone English speaking might be an advantage.

There are places to rent around LT for $200 and up - although in the hills - which will require that the OP get transport ,

But we do not know - s/he may welll have plenty of money and ability to do the trip.

So if you have $10-25k stashed and want to just make the move... then do it.

I would advise a visit to the local Dominican Consulate to check on a possibility of a visa.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Hi everybody,

I am another expat who has decided to make the move to DR. After reading many and many discouraging reasons said not to, I am still interested in doing so. I am young, no huge responsibilities tying me to the US, and have always had that crazy passion for the Caribbean. I know it will not be easy as I am continuously reading into what needs to be done, but I am begging for some advice that I cannot find via google. I visited for my second time in July, for a month, traveled around every coast and have narrowed in on the southwest region and Las Terrenas for relocating. My first choice would be the south of Barahona, but this is where I may need someone to talk some sense into me. I am in love with the mountains, right beside the sea, and the lack of other expats. However, I will need to find some sort of small job and I feel it is hopeless when it comes to that region. Is this true? Also, I am looking into finding a small home to rent for a year. If it is even a little possible for me to find work there (does not need to be high paying), I would like to try. Las Terrenas is beautiful and by the sea, with more tourists, which could be more ideal for me finding work there. I realize the cost of renting would be more expensive. Are there any neighborhoods outside of town that one would suggest to look into?

1. Finding work and renting home south of Barahona
2. Finding work and renting home in less crowded area of Las Terrenas

I am visiting once more for a week to look around in person, but will be deciding between the two locations before so, given limited time. I will be living with a Dominican (who is also helping) if that makes any difference to you regards to the neighborhood, etc.

I am lost, any insight is appreciated and would benefit my searching.

Thank you in advance.

Don't do it. If you are young and have no college education then I suggest you go to college and or get a US State or Federal job, work 20 - 25 years, save your money and then if you still want to come in your 40's/50's do so. The DR will still be here. You need to secure your future. I had wanted to come here for 25 years, finally came in my fifties and in hindsight wish I waited another 5 years. Only exception would be if you have a skill and can open a business.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Don't do it. If you are young and have no college education then I suggest you go to college and or get a US State or Federal job, work 20 - 25 years, save your money and then if you still want to come in your 40's/50's do so. The DR will still be here. You need to secure your future. I had wanted to come here for 25 years, finally came in my fifties and in hindsight wish I waited another 5 years. Only exception would be if you have a skill and can open a business.

Why the extra 5 years? More savings?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I nicknamed him "Chobby" and it seemed to stick with you guys.. that wasn't his real name...

chodgy

May 20, 2015
I will log back on once I have more time to look into and break down some of the things said. I can tell you that I am mid 20s, female, who would probably never make such a drastic move to be with someone, and I do have $25k. I can also tell you the nickname Chobby is not so bad! AE, I see you noted my many questions! I am naturally a worrier which is a pain in my behind. I think I have read article, after thread, after article of people moving down there with false hopes and ending up in bad positions and that can be very discouraging, but eye opening as well. I am working on slowing down looking into all of this, instead of giving myself headaches.

donP- I bet your property is beautiful. I am a hard worker and would like to keep in touch once I know more. :classic:

DRob- I like your idea of renting for a couple of months, would be a smart thing to do. Going about finding such an apartment would be less difficult in person, eh?

Going to check out some of your sites and info, thank you for the responses and input.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Sought of......5 additional years I would not have had to work at all. I now do consulting for US companies from home and am tied to the laptop and phone all day - never worked from home before this as I always had an office, were surrounded by people (managed 10 direct reports and over 120 employees), client visits, business lunches, travel, etc. Now I only manage myself.. BORED beyond belief and earning a third of what I did. Living in Paridise but feel trapped Monday - Friday. If one is to come here and truly enjoy the expat life they need to have free time and income. My opinion based on my lifestyle.