Making the move

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hi Chodgy and welcome to DR1. It's good that you ask questions first and do loads of research. If you ever decide to try it down PC way, then let me know. FYI, immigration is all over this area looking to throw out anyone without a work permit (just a heads up). Good luck and have fun.

Total Bull****. Tell me about one person that has been thrown out for not having a work permit. Get a life pal.

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
My two cents as a person who arrived two months ago. Don't come. This country is very hard. Expensive. Stressful. Dangerous. Difficult. And has nothing going for it that you can't find somewhere else with better conditions.
Stay away.
If you must come to see it to believe it, then bring at least 6k and a return ticket.
You'll realize for yourself that living here permanently is not the same as visiting.
This is not paradise.

Enviado desde mi HTC Desire 820 mediante Tapatalk

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My two cents as a person who arrived two months ago. Don't come. This country is very hard. Expensive. Stressful. Dangerous. Difficult. And has nothing going for it that you can't find somewhere else with better conditions.
Stay away.
If you must come to see it to believe it, then bring at least 6k and a return ticket.
You'll realize for yourself that living here permanently is not the same as visiting.
This is not paradise.

Enviado desde mi HTC Desire 820 mediante Tapatalk

Great post!
To bad these "Newbies" aren't looking for good advice, just "Validation" of their move!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
They all gotta touch the stove themselves to see if they get burned.
Messages from the "Burn Ward" won't help them!!!!!!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Good point. Whether the message comes from the "Burn Ward" or the "Psycho Ward" they all have to find out for themselves.
ccccccccccccccc

Great post!
To bad these "Newbies" aren't looking for good advice, just "Validation" of their move!!!!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Great post!

They dont jusst want validation... thats like sooo 2010 .. they now want is to CHEER FOR THEM and Celebrate it with them,, to hit their " Like" Button a bunch a times, like on Feybooo.... make them feel Smart and Special, cuz they figured it all out...

chodgy

May 20, 2015
Well, more so I want to spend a gap year here. I do appreciate the advice. You all do make me curious, though. You believe any one to have moved to DR had a terrible time? And if not too personal, why do some of those people stay? I realize we are talking about a third world country, but interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, more so I want to spend a gap year here. I do appreciate the advice. You all do make me curious, though. You believe any one to have moved to DR had a terrible time? And if not too personal, why do some of those people stay? I realize we are talking about a third world country, but interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Coming here an needing to work is a BAD idea unless you have a job over the Internet. That is where people run into tough times. Come here when you can retire with enough money or on vacation.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Hi everybody,

I am another expat who has decided to make the move to DR. After reading many and many discouraging reasons said not to, I am still interested in doing so. I am young, no huge responsibilities tying me to the US, and have always had that crazy passion for the Caribbean. I know it will not be easy as I am continuously reading into what needs to be done, but I am begging for some advice that I cannot find via google. I visited for my second time in July, for a month, traveled around every coast and have narrowed in on the southwest region and Las Terrenas for relocating. My first choice would be the south of Barahona, but this is where I may need someone to talk some sense into me. I am in love with the mountains, right beside the sea, and the lack of other expats. However, I will need to find some sort of small job and I feel it is hopeless when it comes to that region. Is this true? Also, I am looking into finding a small home to rent for a year. If it is even a little possible for me to find work there (does not need to be high paying), I would like to try. Las Terrenas is beautiful and by the sea, with more tourists, which could be more ideal for me finding work there. I realize the cost of renting would be more expensive. Are there any neighborhoods outside of town that one would suggest to look into?

1. Finding work and renting home south of Barahona
2. Finding work and renting home in less crowded area of Las Terrenas

I am visiting once more for a week to look around in person, but will be deciding between the two locations before so, given limited time. I will be living with a Dominican (who is also helping) if that makes any difference to you regards to the neighborhood, etc.

I am lost, any insight is appreciated and would benefit my searching.

Thank you in advance.

You post, "I will be living with a Dominican who also will be helping'!!!!
'HELPING THEMSELVES'' more likely!
If you are having sex with your "Helper" who has no job, other than "Helping" you, you are doomed!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

Thanks

Don't really see the issue here. Chobby's only coming for a gap year, not forever and ever. She's bringing a chunk of money over, and we've all made it pretty clear that happiness starts at around 2k/month.

If she has 24k, great. If she has less, then she has less time to visit with the knowledge she'll be comfortable.

Life is short. Plan responsibly and realistically, come and get a good experience, and keep it moving.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I believe that the posters here are not indicative of the norm, they are but a small percentage of the total number of people who live here. Apparently a lot of people planned their retirement here assuming that it would be dirt cheap as it was a 3rd world country. Now many are stuck here on a fixed income of $1000-2000 per month and are struggling. If they bought real estate they are probably stuck with it unless they want to take a batch and sell it at its real value.

Don't let them discourage you, life is full of calculated risks. Despite what you read here I would venture to say that most people are happy here.

Not the Norm ? in what terms exactly.
And Are you serious, You are Comparing RETIREES, ie Pensioners ... to 23 year olds who should be approaching the APEX of their Ambitious years, whether obtaining a Degree, or valuable work experience and forming a Career for the next 20-30 years..

You really think those 2 can be compared side by side ?. and ?don?t let them discourage you ?
If you are serious , try that at your next Family picnic, encouraging a 23 year old with their whole lives ahead of them, to throw caution to the wind, the heck with the Career, heck with School or any advanced Degrees... Just move to the Sunny Caribbean, and look for whatever Job may come their way at some beach bar or Hotel.
I would love to see how that goes over with the childs Parents and relatives.
23, yes, I said it , still somewhat of a CHILD.. if your life goal is to move to an Island with No real plans of how you plan on supporting yourself. Unless of course its just an EXTENDED vacation she seeks. But that was not the Topic
Or Am I off base here ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And Are you serious, You are Comparing RETIREES, ie Pensioners ... to 23 year olds who should be approaching the APEX of their Ambitious years, whether obtaining a Degree, or valuable work experience and forming a Career for the next 20-30 years..

You really think those 2 can be compared side by side ?. and “don’t let them discourage you “
If you are serious , try that at your next Family picnic, encouraging a 23 year old with their whole lives ahead of them, to throw caution to the wind, the heck with the Career, heck with School or any advanced Degrees... Just move to the Sunny Caribbean, and look for whatever Job may come their way at some beach bar or Hotel.
23, yes, I said it , still somewhat of a CHILD.. if your life goal is to move to an Island with No real plans of how you plan on supporting yourself. Unless of course its just an EXTENDED vacation she seeks. But that was not the Topic
Or Am I off base here ?

no, you are not off base. you are 100% on point.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
To the OP Chooby, it is much easier to just come for 100 days or so as a beach bum without commiting your savings in total. Any Chico can go thru 25k fast what with cells, grandmas operation, etc.

His meds wore off ccccccccccccc
Criss, you really had me going on this one. I was thinking you must have upped your dose. Until I read "purchase a nice 2 Br home". Then I knew were sublimating. See, you can play nice. I already knew that.

Apr 7, 2014

You really think those 2 can be compared side by side ?. and ?don?t let them discourage you ?
Or Am I off base here ?
I dont think it is a fair comparison. Like DRob said life is made of experiences. I bought into what you say when I was 23 or so and 20 years later all I notice is how many around me who did what you said placate themselves with things to mask the fact that they hate their life. As I see it, Americans are exceptionally negative and spiteful in light of "having it all". Because they are consistently looking for meaning in consuming useless sht. If the poster wants to come, cool, as long as you guys give her a 100% reality check(the Old Fogey blues, I call it) like any decent Grandpa would do for his grandbabies.
Gap year is just that. Time off to get some international, intercultural exposure. Shoot, many schools like the University of Maryland, Baltimore and Empire State College do offer online curriculums so all she really needs is a strong wifi and can take a few Continuing Ed. Classes here and there.

For example, in my head, if the OP were studying an Agricultural based program at a New York State University A&M, A&T school, DR is a perfect place for research. Tropical country as such has 2 growing seasons, 2 planting seasons, 2 harvesting seasons. Were she to rent a tiny place in Moncion or San Juan de la Maguana she can study, do research, practice animal husbandry.
Examples abound in the field of International Relations, or Public Policy or Social Policy.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I think that you must know that the formula for success and happiness for previous generations does not work so well anymore. Go to school, get a good job, get married, raise 2 kids, have a house with a white picket fence and a dog named spot is the American dream, and its fading fast due to economic and cultural changes back in the states.

Many understand this, hence the reduction in marriage statistics for those under 30. Most will not even have a pension unless they are government employees. Many/ most American marriages are not particularly happy due to the changes in gender roles and expectations.

I would rather see the OP leave the DR with a life lesson then to never take any risk in his life and be trapped in a miserable suburban existence for the rest of his life wondering what might have been? Maybe he will find a nice sweet Dominicana, be happily married and learn to live a more simple life on the island. One thing I do know is that the older he gets the less likely he is to take risks. At the very least he will be living his life as he wants to, not as dictated by society and family.

Finally, I don't believe that one's success in life can be judged by wealth and conformity. I view expats as people who tend to think outside the box, I think most would agree with me.

True, but what does any of that have to do with Chobby taking a year out before grad school (or whatever) to have some fun?

If I had the cash back in my early 20s, I certainly would have done the same...

May 29, 2006
$25K is enough for finding out your options, but not nearly enough to settle permanently. Better to come for longer visits until you have a working game plan that will generate a sustainable income for you. Many if not most *sucesssful* ex-pats who work make under $100/week and do so more to keep busy than support themselves.

May 29, 2006
That though keeps resoundingly bouncing around in my head.

Chodgy, I say go for it. I also say bring 10K and NOT A PENNY MORE. That's roughly 450K pesos.

The majority of people here live on 30K a month or less. You should be able to as well, especially if you're down south.

None of your money should go to your Dominican, whether it's a male or a female.

They should have a job and bring food to the table as well. No money for their "needs" or "Have to haves". If you start getting requests for small amounts of money for "stuff", you have a big problem - they are with you for your money.

If you can't make it here with that 450k as seed money, throw in the towel. DON'T TOUCH THE OTHER 15K.

If you run out of money in a few months, you need to get away as fast as you can.

Best advice on the thread, IMHO.