Making the move

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
No sanky panky mess waiting to happen here, sorry to let you all down. Although, I wouldn't mind a new pasola for myself.

I am not interested in applying for residency quite yet if not necessary. I am looking to stay in DR for up to a year, however, time will tell. I do like the idea of renting up to three months. My question with that is, money aside, is it really as simple as crossing over the border and then coming back in to renew that tourist visa? Now problems I am having with internet research is that every one has something different to say. For instance, I read that if one is looking to rent, landlords will come to you (this is one scenario where my Dominican friend would look out for us). Is that insane or is there truth to that? If not, could someone point me in a good direction of finding long term rentals, whether that be online or in person when I visit? There would absolutely be two incomes in the household, however, I'd still like to budget. In a previous post, someone warned me of safety. I am concerned that the gated areas are going to be too expensive (not to say my safety is not worth it). I could not put myself in danger to save a buck. I suppose I will know more after looking around at some. I think finding work will not be easy and I may have to struggle with that on my own. That being said, I am going to browse the forum for more help on renting and continue to read your responses.

Chobby

Chobby,

If you check the legal forums, you will find much more information about residency.

As far as staying over the initial 90 day visa, you have two options: either pay the overstay fee at departure (which is what the vast majority of folks do), or take a quickie trip to PR or Haiti, and get a new stamp. Frankly, the overstay fee for a year is less than $200USD, so not too much to worry about.

As far as a job is concerned, is there anything you can do (or learn how to do at your local community college) that can be done via the internet? Perhaps customer service, or translating technical documents. If you can make dollars and live on pesos, life will get really pleasant really fast.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Ahh, I see. So without residency, I can not work legally. And with my lack of skills and education, it would be nearly impossible to land a work visa. Sigh after sigh...more research it is.

right - you would be illegal. Now.. if you can go to the Gran Hotel whattis and convince them that they need an American - an English speaker - on staff -not just to work but to help teach the other staff English -- then you might get a long term work contract which will qualify you for a visa.

Sadly, you are going to run into this issue anywhere you plan on going - Costa Rica, Panama, Peru..

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Don't listen to the negative idiots who post on this forum. Life is short, enjoy it while it last.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
My question with that is, money aside, is it really as simple as crossing over the border and then coming back in to renew that tourist visa?

Chobby

Sounds like the South West still appeals.

On this forum it has often been talked about crossing into Haiti to renew the tourist visa and no one has ever said they actually did it. Would be nice to know, since there are clearly a few people who do cross over into Haiti from time to time.

My brief experience of the South West was that it was very cheap in terms of meals and drinks compared to any of the other touristy areas and that includes Samana. I have little doubt renting will be equally much cheaper. There is a small community of expats involved in the low scale tourism industry down there. We have one or two posers who know the area quite well and have been reporting on the refurbishment of the only decent size hotel in the area. Read the South West forum and PM them for more info. It is off the beaten track so you will likely be one of a very few trying to find someone to sponsor you for a work permit in a limited hospitality environment.

Myself I plan to revisit the area next week to explore a few more of the notable sites. I have a motive. Tourism development related. There are some very interesting eco tourism plans in play for the area. Its an exciting part of DR for those that like something unique.

chodgy

May 20, 2015
DRob- Thanks for the info. I should look into those options. I have been looking at a course for teaching English. Could be a rewarding job. I would love to help nice people learn.

Mountainannie- I appreciate all of your responses. Ahh the Gran Bahia..yes, yes..they may have already heard from me via email. I am huge on finding work in person. The employer has a much better sense of who you are and who you will be for them. I am reading more on residency and my options with or without it.

CristoRey- I agree. :D

ju10prd- That is funny, I was just on your thread in the Southwest forum. I was going to reply, but feared I was two months too late. I was in Pedernales and Paraiso for a week recently. Without question, the south west is very appealing to me. I will look into contacting them, thank you.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
On this forum it has often been talked about crossing into Haiti to renew the tourist visa and no one has ever said they actually did it. Would be nice to know, since there are clearly a few people who do cross over into Haiti from time to time.
I've visited Haiti a couple of times, last time february. Always the normal procedure with filling forms and getting stamps on the passport when entering DR.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I see a disaster in making.
No real life experience, even less 3rd world country living experience. on top of that, he has no real skill to offer except hotel work. he will be competing with dominicans who also speak spanish/english but have a firm grip on tourist industry and Dominican culture.
the best advice I have heard is the person who mentioned airbnb.com type business. If he can secure a huge house, near the beach or some other area which has natural beauty, with all the usual vacation comfort, lights, running water, a/c and internet etc, he might be able to make a living without busting his arse in the real cut-throat dominican job field.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I see a disaster in making.
No real life experience, even less 3rd world country living experience. on top of that, he has no real skill to offer except hotel work. he will be competing with dominicans who also speak spanish/english but have a firm grip on tourist industry and Dominican culture.
the best advice I have heard is the person who mentioned airbnb.com type business. If he can secure a huge house, near the beach or some other area which has natural beauty, with all the usual vacation comfort, lights, running water, a/c and internet etc, he might be able to make a living without busting his arse in the real cut-throat dominican job field.

He is a she...................

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
No sanky panky mess waiting to happen here, sorry to let you all down. Although, I wouldn't mind a new pasola for myself.

I am not interested in applying for residency quite yet if not necessary. I am looking to stay in DR for up to a year, however, time will tell. I do like the idea of renting up to three months. My question with that is, money aside, is it really as simple as crossing over the border and then coming back in to renew that tourist visa? Now problems I am having with internet research is that every one has something different to say. For instance, I read that if one is looking to rent, landlords will come to you (this is one scenario where my Dominican friend would look out for us). Is that insane or is there truth to that? If not, could someone point me in a good direction of finding long term rentals, whether that be online or in person when I visit? There would absolutely be two incomes in the household, however, I'd still like to budget. In a previous post, someone warned me of safety. I am concerned that the gated areas are going to be too expensive (not to say my safety is not worth it). I could not put myself in danger to save a buck. I suppose I will know more after looking around at some. I think finding work will not be easy and I may have to struggle with that on my own. That being said, I am going to browse the forum for more help on renting and continue to read your responses.

Chobby

You won't be able to rent here without a "Fijador",..."Co Signer", a citizen with a job, bank account, and assets.
And usually 3 months rent/security deposit, in advance.

MUCH better to buy a small home as soon as you arrive!!!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

(Get It THIS TIME Annie?????);););););)

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Criss, you really had me going on this one. I was thinking you must have upped your dose. Until I read "purchase a nice 2 Br home". Then I knew were sublimating. See, you can play nice. I already knew that.

Don't pay ANY ATTENTION to the negative posters!!!!!
They moved here and failed, so they assume that everyone else will too!!!!!
NOW is the perfect time to make the move!!!
I admire you for having saved $25,000, that shows you know how to handle money!!!!
ASSUMING YOUR DOMINICAN FRIEND IS ALSO HONEST AND HARD WORKING you are half way there!!!!
He can keep you from being taken advantage of by those who are not.
You can leave your money in the USA and just take out funds from a bank teller machine as you need it, it's safe that way.
I suggest "LAS TERRENAS",OR BETTER YET "PUNTA CANA".
Since you speak Spanish you can easily get work there in a big international hotel/resort, and your friend can too!!!
If you are happy here, I suggest you purchase a small 2 bedroom house near your work,for about $15,000 US dollars.
Better yet if your friend can help, because the bank financing/land title, will be easier to get in both your names
It won't be fancy, but comfortable for 2 people.
"YOU GO GIRL"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CRIS

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
He is a she...................

Oh boy.
we have all heard and seen what these little girls go through when they land in sankie land.
good luck. there is no hope for you here except poverty and frustrations. if you are good looking, better fall in love with a well to do white (expat) dude and live rent free. use your assets while they still have market value. The black dominicans guys are just that, black dudes, but broke.
AZB
AZB

chodgy

May 20, 2015
Oh you people. A man is the last thing I am worried about right now, but on behalf of your kind advice, I will ward off any men I meet while down there. :p

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Oh you people. A man is the last thing I am worried about right now, but on behalf of your kind advice, I will ward off any men I meet while down there. :p

thats what they all say but sooner than later, you will fall in for a cheap black dominican guy who is barely surviving. he will have no education and no solid home to live in. you will be bored and goal-less in your daily life there. so naturally you will feel comfortable with the men who will give you attention. just don't know why you women are so impressed with guys who are, at beast, a servant or a security guard when it comes to work abilities.
My advice is to settle in with an expat who has money. live rent free, eat and rest up. when you are on your feet, then do whatever life throws at you. In simple words, you have little to no chance here in terms of living well and obtaining a good job. money is very difficult to make here and the summer heat will kill you if you have no a/c at night or running water 24/7. poor people learn to live with burning heat and mosquitoes at night. good luck
AZB

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
thats what they all say but sooner than later, you will fall in for a cheap black dominican guy who is barely surviving. he will have no education and no solid home to live in. you will be bored and goal-less in your daily life there. so naturally you will feel comfortable with the men who will give you attention. just don't know why you women are so impressed with guys who are, at beast, a servant or a security guard when it comes to work abilities.
My advice is to settle in with an expat who has money. live rent free, eat and rest up. when you are on your feet, then do whatever life throws at you. In simple words, you have little to no chance here in terms of living well and obtaining a good job. money is very difficult to make here and the summer heat will kill you if you have no a/c at night or running water 24/7. poor people learn to live with burning heat and mosquitoes at night. good luck
AZB

I will let Chodgy answer this but then let's stop with the "gloom and doom" advice.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I will let Chodgy answer this but then let's stop with the "gloom and doom" advice.

gloom and doom advice is a real advice. she better learn the risks now than later.
in any case. I wish her good luck. I am outta here.
AZB

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
For instance, I read that if one is looking to rent, landlords will come to you (this is one scenario where my Dominican friend would look out for us). Is that insane or is there truth to that?

We (a couple in their late 20s/early 30s with a baby) have lived in a number of places in the DR, and would say that might be true with places that nobody wants. If the landlord needs to look for people, I would think thrice if it?s worth it. If the place, price and conditions are good, I would expect there to be at east some competition on who gets the place.

In a previous post, someone warned me of safety. I am concerned that the gated areas are going to be too expensive (not to say my safety is not worth it). I could not put myself in danger to save a buck. I suppose I will know more after looking around at some.

We have never lived inside gated communities here, and have also never had safety issues. Note however that I would never recommend renting/getting a place WITHOUT iron bars throughout the property. I would recommend not even accepting places where the windows carry iron bards but the front door doesn?t. Once you move in change locks if possible (very easy to do).

I would think that in looking for the place, best would be to first, if you need to rent a place before arrival, get a short-term place, and only make long-term commitments once you have personally inspected the property, and during daylight and during the night.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hotels in Punta Cana hire people all the time with no papers of any kind for their Time Share or Vacation Clubs. If you speak Spanish and English it will be no problem to get hired. But it is commission only. You can make a lot or make nothing.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Hi Chodgy and welcome to DR1. It's good that you ask questions first and do loads of research. If you ever decide to try it down PC way, then let me know. FYI, immigration is all over this area looking to throw out anyone without a work permit (just a heads up). Good luck and have fun.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Hi Chodgy and welcome to DR1. It's good that you ask questions first and do loads of research. If you ever decide to try it down PC way, then let me know. FYI, immigration is all over this area looking to throw out anyone without a work permit (just a heads up). Good luck and have fun.

Must be hard for Chodgy to gauge the work possibilities, especially for somewhere like Punta Cana, where you post the above and the post before by SKY says getting work without papers is a doddle.

But the good thing as you point out is that she is asking all the questions first.