Merengue Vs. Bachata

de_la_cruz

Mar 25, 2004
I Know I Know

ITS ALL ABOUT THE BACHATA -------- AVENTURA IS IT ... END OF QUESTION .........and i love merengue too, but bachata is my love !

DomAm

May 11, 2002
trina said:
Is it just me, or do you guys agree that Spanish songwriters are more powerful at portraying their feelings, thoughts, and emotions? Marco Antonio Solis, JLG, Marc Antony, Enrique Iglesias, Frank Reyes...the list goes on...just seem to be able to say something in Spanish that is unmatched by their English counterparts...they just seem so much more romantic and powerful. They can write lyrics that, to me, can't be portrayed the same way in English...maybe the fact that I love the way they compose the music helps. Listening to Marco Antonio Solis...omg what that man does to me...

Here's a little sampling of one of my favorite songs, it's translated in English, but doesn't quite say the same thing (or it does, just doesn't sound quite so "moving"):

Te extra?o mas que nunca
(I miss you more than ever)

y no se que hacer
(and I don't know what to do)

despierto y te recuerdo al amanecer
(I wake up and remember you at the dawn)

me espera otro dia por vivir sin ti
(another day awaits me without you)

el espejo no miente, me veo tan diferente
(the mirror does not lie, I see myself so different

me haces falta tu.
(I miss you)

La gente pasa y pasa siempre tan igual
(the people that pass never change)

el ritmo de la vida me parece mal
(the rhythm of my life seems wrong)

era diferente cuando estabas tu
(it was different when you were here)

si que era diferente cuando estabas tu.
(yes... it was different when you were here)

No hay nada mas dificil que vivir sin ti
(There is nothing harder than to live without you)

sufriendo en la espera de verte llegar
(suffering in the hope that you will return)

el frio de mi cuerpo pregunta por ti
(the cold of my body asks for you)

y no se donde estas...
(and I don't know where you are)

si no te hubieras ido seria tan feliz.
(had you not left, I'd be so happy)

No hay nada mas dificil que vivir sin ti.
sufriendo en la espera de verte llegar
el frio de mi cuerpo pregunta por ti
y no se donde estas...
si no te hubieras ido seria tan feliz.

La gente pasa y pasa siempre tan igual
el ritmo de la vida me parece mal
era diferente cuando estabas tu
si que era diferente cuando estabas tu.

Great translation! Did you do it or is the text available in English????
The song is also one of my favorites. I also agree with you that nosotros expresamos mas "feelings" en nuestra musica romantica.

ELin3pi2!

May 26, 2004
Merengue will return to it's place

Have faith, and never support piracy, merengue will rise again. There is a movement of artist doing what's right. Creating quality music, and giving merengue songs the quality to be worth listening to. A good example of this: Juan Luis guerra is coming up with a new CD you know this will boost merengue. Alex bueno came out with an excellent cd titled 20 a?os despues with great songs like: querida, amor divino and la radio re-made with original music but different vocals by alex. Los Toros band are still doing good with their latest Cd and there's more coming. I don't think it should bother anybody if Puerto rican musicians get grammys or lo nuestro. It probably means that they are doing more to save merengue than some dominicans are doing. Think about it for a second.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
For me it's bachata... because merengue is less associated with the deep memories of dancing in the DR with your GF... all night long wall-to-wall bachata.....a very close bachata listening to the songs and feeling the music.. also with closely feeling your partner and the anticipation... quick bachata with everybody showing off.. it's somehow different from merengue

I know this can also be done with merengue but somehow it doesn't feel the same to me.. bachata is more romantic imo...

MD

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Let me carify....

I respect your opinion but I beg to differ regarding the PR artists. I need to clarify my point since I initiated the PR issue. It's one thing if they are creating merengue and possibly keeping the genre alive for the time being but misrepresenting it is whole different story. In my opinion the majority of PR artists don't have what I call authentic sounding merengue or "mejor dicho en espanol su musica no es fiel exponente del genero". That's what I am referring to. My classic example is Elvis Crespo. His music is absolutely horrible. People who are loyal to classic merengue should understand my critique of Elvis C. Saving the genre is one thing, I will leave the resurgence of classic merengue to the DR artists but ruining it in PR is not what I would like to see continue.

ELin3pi2! said:
Have faith, and never support piracy, merengue will rise again. There is a movement of artist doing what's right. Creating quality music, and giving merengue songs the quality to be worth listening to. A good example of this: Juan Luis guerra is coming up with a new CD you know this will boost merengue. Alex bueno came out with an excellent cd titled 20 a?os despues with great songs like: querida, amor divino and la radio re-made with original music but different vocals by alex. Los Toros band are still doing good with their latest Cd and there's more coming. I don't think it should bother anybody if Puerto rican musicians get grammys or lo nuestro. It probably means that they are doing more to save merengue than some dominicans are doing. Think about it for a second.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Great bachata radio station...nuestra emisora de la bachata

A todos los seguidores de la bachata:

You all may know this but I only discovered this great bachata radio station last night while surfing: bachata106.com. Tune in asap. All you need is RealPlayer if you don't have it you can install it for free so far I have been listening to it since last night and the bachata is right on. I collect bachata so I don't rely on the radio but it's nice to have someone play for me and I listen. Music from great artists are played: Raulin R, Antony S, Zacarias F, Vanessa Gil (a new female voice, wonderful!), Monchy & Alexandra, Alex B etc.

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
DomAm said:

Great translation! Did you do it or is the text available in English????
The song is also one of my favorites. I also agree with you that nosotros expresamos mas "feelings" en nuestra musica romantica.

I found a webpage that had it already translated, so I thought it was perfect for this example. I noticed the error in it after Lesley pointed it out, but all in all, the song was translated quite well. Marco Antonio Solis has to be the King of Ballads...

Tomvangeffen

May 9, 2002
slightly off topic.

I like both Bachata and merengue, the merengue more for dancing with just anyone. Bachata only dances really well with my wife.
Also my repertoire of dancing is better with the merengue.

I am a musician, lyrics do not interest me at all, which is maybe also the reason for my REAL preference: Salsa.

I find music, and dancing of salsa much more interesting and entertaining then other music, almost ALL other music.
I can do a lot of dances (also the "old school" quickstep, walz, chacha etc etc..) but like Salsa most. Maybe the smooth glide of the slowfox together with its swinging bigband music (Sinatra singing new york) comes close..

just my 2 cents....

Tom

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I"m a huge Elvis Martinez fan, slso Frank Reyes, Raulin Rodriguez, Luis Vargas, Joe Veras there is so many more. Who else should I be listening too? I always love to learn about more artists!
I love Merengue too but I don't know the artists well enough I forget the names but know the songs. How about naming some Merengue artists for me?
Thanks!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Music said:
I"m a huge Elvis Martinez fan, slso Frank Reyes, Raulin Rodriguez, Luis Vargas, Joe Veras there is so many more. Who else should I be listening too? I always love to learn about more artists!
I love Merengue too but I don't know the artists well enough I forget the names but know the songs. How about naming some Merengue artists for me?
Thanks!

Los Hermanos Rosario, To?o Rosario solo also has a few good ones, Los Toros Band is one of my favorites, also Alex Bueno, Monchi y Alexandra, Aventura (PR group) has a couple that I like, Zaccarias Ferreira has a lot of really great songs, Juan Luis Guerra is awesome, Fernando Villalona (El Mayimbe en Bachata is my favorite), Jossie Esteban, El Gringo de la Bachata, Eddy Herrera, Rubby Perez, Yoskar Sarante, and Antony Santos to name a few. Great picks above, add these names, and you have a pretty great collection. I found a website that keeps quite current with Dominican music trends. It lets you listen to popular songs from the discography of artists listed. Frank Reyes is my favorite as of late. I know I may offend a lot of people by saying this (my husband included), but I can't stand Luis Vargas' whining...like cry me a river...but that's my opinion...he's certainly still one of the most popular.

http://home-3.tiscali.nl/~pjetax/htmlfile/music_index.html

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Music,

In March there were a few good threads about merengue just in case you want to stroll back and look. But I can name a few Lesley favourites:

1.Zafra Negra
2. Los Hermanos Rosario
3.Rubby Perez
4. Fernando Villalona (his older music) but his 2002 album is great. It's called "Mal acostumbrado".
5. Jossie Esteban- this guy is amazing
6. Cocoband- once again the older music- Some good albums include: El Arrollador, Temible, Cocoband 1995, El Ombliguito, Grandes Exitos de la Cocoband Vol 1 & 2.
7. Los Toros Band
8. To?o "el cuco" Rosario- his older music is terrific. Starting with his album Retorno a las raices, Amor jollao (a classic), Me olvid? de vivir (tremendous),
Seguir? (in my opinion his best album-ever), Exclusivo (very unique).

Music said:
Thanks!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Lesley D said:
A todos los seguidores de la bachata:

You all may know this but I only discovered this great bachata radio station last night while surfing: bachata106.com. Tune in asap. All you need is RealPlayer if you don't have it you can install it for free so far I have been listening to it since last night and the bachata is right on. I collect bachata so I don't rely on the radio but it's nice to have someone play for me and I listen. Music from great artists are played: Raulin R, Antony S, Zacarias F, Vanessa Gil (a new female voice, wonderful!), Monchy & Alexandra, Alex B etc.

Thanks, Lesley! Love it!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
trina said:
Los Hermanos Rosario, To?o Rosario solo also has a few good ones, Los Toros Band is one of my favorites, also Alex Bueno, Monchi y Alexandra, Aventura (PR group) has a couple that I like, Zaccarias Ferreira has a lot of really great songs, Juan Luis Guerra is awesome, Fernando Villalona (El Mayimbe en Bachata is my favorite), Jossie Esteban, El Gringo de la Bachata, Eddy Herrera, Rubby Perez, Yoskar Sarante, and Antony Santos to name a few. Great picks above, add these names, and you have a pretty great collection. I found a website that keeps quite current with Dominican music trends. It lets you listen to popular songs from the discography of artists listed. Frank Reyes is my favorite as of late. I know I may offend a lot of people by saying this (my husband included), but I can't stand Luis Vargas' whining...like cry me a river...but that's my opinion...he's certainly still one of the most popular.

http://home-3.tiscali.nl/~pjetax/htmlfile/music_index.html

Thanks so much Trina I love getting new artists to listen too! It's amazing how a few years ago I had no idea who was singing and now I can hear a song and know the artist I love it! I have some you've mentioned Los Toros Band, Aventura, Zacarias Fereira I like him a lot too and Yokstar. I will have some listening to do with some of them you mentioned I don't know if I've heard them, can't wait! Frank Reyes is very good! Don't worry I wouldn't be offended everyone has a preference but I can see what your saying about Luis Vargas but I still like him. Oh and thanks for the website I'll be checking it right now lol! More music for my ears yeah!!!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Lesley D said:
Music,

In March there were a few good threads about merengue just in case you want to stroll back and look. But I can name a few Lesley favourites:

1.Zafra Negra
2. Los Hermanos Rosario
3.Rubby Perez
4. Fernando Villalona (his older music) but his 2002 album is great. It's called "Mal acostumbrado".
5. Jossie Esteban- this guy is amazing
6. Cocoband- once again the older music- Some good albums include: El Arrollador, Temible, Cocoband 1995, El Ombliguito, Grandes Exitos de la Cocoband Vol 1 & 2.
7. Los Toros Band
8. To?o "el cuco" Rosario- his older music is terrific. Starting with his album Retorno a las raices, Amor jollao (a classic), Me olvid? de vivir (tremendous),
Seguir? (in my opinion his best album-ever), Exclusivo (very unique).

Oh thanks so much Lesley, oh this is going to be fun fun for me!! I love that you gave me some song titles thanks again !!! I'll check out the threads too!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
My two cents

I have made my opinions on this subject before in many other threads, but here is a different stroke:

1)Success in music is measured by international acclaim and sales.
2)Bachata has been winning the last two years in both categories.
3)The best and most active names internationally in the last two years have been bachata acts, like Aventura and Monchy and Alexandra. Dominican merengueros have not placed any songs or albums in the top Billboard hits this year and have barely matched the same success locally.
4)There is not a single merengue hit that has transcended this year and few will become classics. Many bachata songs have become classics already and continue to get airplay and popular play long after their original release.
5)Like it or not, Puerto Rican bands have done better in sales and positioning internationally. Grupo Mania and Elvis Crespo have sold more than any native acts and have won all the awards. They're smart enough to use our arrengement and composing talent and using innovative styles and presentations. Our merengue singers mostly look like goons(To?o, Krisspy) and dress up like "tigueres". Puerto Ricans present a very updated "pop" image, good looks and upscale videos. While people like Eddy Herrera have improved their image, it's too little too late, because these are aging acts. The new generation is a bunch of Dominican-Yorks and campesinos.
6)While Millie has stayed close, Olga Ta?on has been much more successful internationally and has broken the pop barrier, by succeeding with both merengue and pop. Her song "Asi es la Vida" proves she is better than Millie. Millie cannot crossover. She's is just a made-up campesina who is fat and outdated. While Olga is aging, she has aged more gracefully and has a mystique Millie lacks. Gisselle went the pop route and also succeeded.
7)Aventura will continue to dominate. Pochy's renewed life with "Amor de lejos" is just a local flash in the pan. Juan Luis Guerra will try with his new CD to bring merengue back to the top, but Aventura will be too much. JLG does not attract the young set. To?o has not recovered from his latest failures.The Rosarios have not gotten up. El Torito is just static and cannot match previous successes. Crooner Rubby Perez is just a local act. Fernandito is aging so badly, only the older generation sticks to him.
8)Just by sheer niumbers alone(more bands, more singers, more productions)bachata will stay ahead this year.
9)More people are beginning to feel bachata is a much better dance than merengue, which takes more creatitivity and style. Merengue has now become both a couples and individual dance, where dancers break away from each other to do other styles, like reggae, regetton and house music while they dance to a merengue tune. Bachata keeps the couple together. Women look gorgeous and stilish holding their men's neck with their hands and swinging their arms while dancing bachata and have created hundreds of steps and turns, unlike merengue has remained flat. There is even bachata fashion, which merengue lacks. Bachata owns the colmadones in DR, and that's where the action is. Merengueros are surviving on private parties and concerts. Otherwise all would be flat broke.
TW
TW

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
This is a great thread. I love all music, my favorite is bachata. I like merengue and can dance a song or two, but give me un set de bachata o salsa and Im there all night long.

I guess a way of answering this question is if you are on a long trip, which one would you rather have? I can sit and listen to the words in bachata and salsa, I get tired of listening to merengue. HOWEVER, nothing compares to classic merengues.

Does anyone listen to Coco on 105.9 - Although I hate the man and everything that comes out of his mouth (including the WAY he says it) I love his show. the music is on point and the old merengues are great to listen to.

Lesly, thank you for the thread, you are always up on bachatas.
BTW - did you ever get Raulin's new CD? Also, I've been looking for Aventura's first COMPLETE CD for a few months now and I cannot find it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

mariposa

May 19, 2004
So wrong golo

Millie es la reina del merengue golo, don't you forget that, she's one of the very few women who decided to form an orchestra back in the times, she deserves respect and not that bunch of gibberish you just said against her. Next time you want to criticize looks, for your information Olga has aged "gracefully" thanks to plastic surgeries whih have made her look so different nowadays from the younger Olga!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Talldrink said:
This is a great thread. I love all music, my favorite is bachata. I like merengue and can dance a song or two, but give me un set de bachata o salsa and Im there all night long.

I guess a way of answering this question is if you are on a long trip, which one would you rather have? I can sit and listen to the words in bachata and salsa, I get tired of listening to merengue. HOWEVER, nothing compares to classic merengues.

Does anyone listen to Coco on 105.9 - Although I hate the man and everything that comes out of his mouth (including the WAY he says it) I love his show. the music is on point and the old merengues are great to listen to.

Lesly, thank you for the thread, you are always up on bachatas.
BTW - did you ever get Raulin's new CD? Also, I've been looking for Aventura's first COMPLETE CD for a few months now and I cannot find it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Talldrink where do you live? I find latin CD's at Latin music stores in Toronto. The only thing is there pricey $20.00 and up. But I was in the DR a month ago and bought all the CD's I've wanted, I bought Raulin it's a good CD and many others I came back with 9 CD's I love it!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
mariposa said:
Millie es la reina del merengue golo, don't you forget that, she's one of the very few women who decided to form an orchestra back in the times, she deserves respect and not that bunch of gibberish you just said against her. Next time you want to criticize looks, for your information Olga has aged "gracefully" thanks to plastic surgeries whih have made her look so different nowadays from the younger Olga!

Mariposa, I hadnt even read Golo's rant about Millie. I will not knock Olga's talent, because the woman can sing. But Millie has been around for almost 30 years and still looks, sounds, and IS GREAT!!

Millie can sing a merengue that she sang over 20 years ago and drive the crowd wild - young and old. Ask an older Dominican person if they know Olga and see what they say.

When Olga is around for about another 20 years, she still cant touch Millie's status as QUEEN with a 10 foot poll.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Music said:
Talldrink where do you live? I find latin CD's at Latin music stores in Toronto. The only thing is there pricey $20.00 and up. But I was in the DR a month ago and bought all the CD's I've wanted, I bought Raulin it's a good CD and many others I came back with 9 CD's I love it!

I've found the incomplete versions. I guess they put out a few versions before and added songs afterwards. The complete one should have something like 14 songs.