Merengue Vs. Bachata

FloridaHick

May 25, 2004
trina said:
Thanks, Lesley! Love it!
It can also be reached from http://live365.com and pickig latin music
they are in the top 10 of the latin music stations that live365 handles. live 365 is free but if you have a $5U.S. a month account you can get the comercial free versions of the stations . There are a good selection of latin stations on the net.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
S? lo consegu?

Talldrink,

Nice to know that you are with us chatting. Yes, I got Raulin's cd last month and I have not stopped playing it since. It's a real treasure. En pocas palabras- la bot? (esta vez). Rompi? el molde. Try to find it, you should not be deprived of such GREAT bachata. It's bad for your health.

The title is:

"Si no te tengo".

You should be able to get it at any store that sells Latin music. I see it all the time.

Talldrink said:
This is a great thread. I love all music, my favorite is bachata. I like merengue and can dance a song or two, but give me un set de bachata o salsa and Im there all night long.

I guess a way of answering this question is if you are on a long trip, which one would you rather have? I can sit and listen to the words in bachata and salsa, I get tired of listening to merengue. HOWEVER, nothing compares to classic merengues.

Does anyone listen to Coco on 105.9 - Although I hate the man and everything that comes out of his mouth (including the WAY he says it) I love his show. the music is on point and the old merengues are great to listen to.

Lesly, thank you for the thread, you are always up on bachatas.
BTW - did you ever get Raulin's new CD? Also, I've been looking for Aventura's first COMPLETE CD for a few months now and I cannot find it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Don't knock surgery

because Millie is the mastress of surgery. She has just about done it all in her body, including boobs, hips, face, nose and chin. She eats too much, so she has to continue working on her surgery. What I suggest she does to be able to compete with Olga is to soften her screaming. I can't stand her cotorra-like scream in every song. She's just as bad as Ruby.

TW

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
With respect to the merengue discussion, PR and group sales etc. in my opinion sales are not proof positive of success. The album may sell "porque el artsita tuvo una buena promoci?n" but the album itself may be worthless. Anything coming of PR has smooth access to US market and that's why the music makes it into the Int'l sphere. Although the production of merengue from the DR is not up to par in quality and quantity "hoy en d?a" the music is promoted differently and that's tough to beat. Sales are just sales. It's like any product it does not necessarily have to be good for people to buy it and then they get burned afterwards. I don't care how people tell me about PR artists...their merengue is not the same. To me "el merengue cl?sico es ?nico y sin igual y viene de la RD punto final".

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Lesley D

You run into a major contradiction. You say that record sales don't make for quality music. Ok..let's say you are right. But then, where is the quality in today's merengue. Even merengue players and merengue analysts conclude that Dominican merengue is going downhill in both sales and quality. So, where is the beef? Juan Luis Guerra is the first to say so.

Marketing alone does not a product sell. You must have a viable product afterall. People have to like the product. Coca Cola sells because it is an excellent product. It sells more because it gets heavily promoted. But people enjoy Coke, and Pepsi. No promotion in the world can make me eat or drink something I don't like. I don't belive people buy Olga Ta?on more than Millie because she gets heavily promoted. Promoters also like good marketable goods.

Carlos Batista Matos one of the biggest defenders of merengue and a man who wrote a book about bachata, has recently joined my opinion about what's going on with this declining merengue music. He has finally admitted, after refusing to do so for years, that our artists just stand no chance against better looking foreign acts. He has gone as far as to start his TV program at 2:30pm on channel 9 with Robbie Draco Rosa's latest two videos "Mas y Mas" and another from his recent album and others from Shakira. He stated recently that girls like Nikauly De La Mota, and megadivas who want to venture into music and who look good, better be prepared to compete with giants like Shakira, Paulina Rubio and JLO. He gives her little or no chance. It takes a certain style to win.

Robbie, an excellent Puerto Rican product is causing sensation with his dual language CD. His style buries anything that can be produced in DR. We must learn from this, instead of continuing with this "chopo" attitude. You place Robbie Draco next to ..let's say Frank Ceara, and it makes you want to cry for your country.Like Muhamad Ali said.."no contest"
TW

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
In a nutshell I do understand your point and not to make this a long discussion but I think that much of music sales are based on promotion, location, market preference. etc That's just me and I do agree with you that one has to like something in order to buy it but promotions etc. draw attention and then people start to listen etc. But the central part of my original argument (see my first post) remains as PR vs DR merengue. My personal preference is DR merengue. That's all I am getting at. No quiero entrar en una discusi?n que no tiene fin.

Golo100 said:
You run into a major contradiction. You say that record sales don't make for quality music. Ok..let's say you are right. But then, where is the quality in today's merengue. Even merengue players and merengue analysts conclude that Dominican merengue is going downhill in both sales and quality. So, where is the beef? Juan Luis Guerra is the first to say so.

Marketing alone does not a product sell. You must have a viable product afterall. People have to like the product. Coca Cola sells because it is an excellent product. It sells more because it gets heavily promoted. But people enjoy Coke, and Pepsi. No promotion in the world can make me eat or drink something I don't like. I don't belive people buy Olga Ta?on more than Millie because she gets heavily promoted. Promoters also like good marketable goods.

Carlos Batista Matos one of the biggest defenders of merengue and a man who wrote a book about bachata, has recently joined my opinion about what's going on with this declining merengue music. He has finally admitted, after refusing to do so for years, that our artists just stand no chance against better looking foreign acts. He has gone as far as to start his TV program at 2:30pm on channel 9 with Robbie Draco Rosa's latest two videos "Mas y Mas" and another from his recent album and others from Shakira. He stated recently that girls like Nikauly De La Mota, and megadivas who want to venture into music and who look good, better be prepared to compete with giants like Shakira, Paulina Rubio and JLO. He gives her little or no chance. It takes a certain style to win.

Robbie, an excellent Puerto Rican product is causing sensation with his dual language CD. His style buries anything that can be produced in DR. We must learn from this, instead of continuing with this "chopo" attitude. You place Robbie Draco next to ..let's say Frank Ceara, and it makes you want to cry for your country.Like Muhamad Ali said.."no contest"
TW

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Sabes que...

After reading this again...no, no estoy tan de acuerdo. Promotion plays a huge factor and I realize that DR merengue has declined in the face of other groups outside the DR but...no, promotion plays a key role "no cabe duda". I would like see what would happen if there were no promotions at all and the music just had to sell somehow. Then I may support what you say 100%. Until then I believe that the promotion of the music plays a key part in sales, exposure, market preference etc.

My humble opinion... nada m?s.

Golo100 said:

TW

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
It also depends who in the position of power to do the decision making. This is like any agenda setting item. Who is at the helm. I would venture to say there is not many high ranking Dominican professionals in the music recording promoting business. We have been mainly entertainers and thus lack the capital to professionally market. These positions are mainly held by Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and whites. That's the simple truth. Unless we enter those circles I would be hard pressed to say that our "chopo" image will change.

Lesley D said:
After reading this again...no, no estoy tan de acuerdo. Promotion plays a huge factor and I realize that DR merengue has declined in the face of other groups outside the DR but...no, promotion plays a key role "no cabe duda". I would like see what would happen if there were no promotions at all and the music just had to sell somehow. Then I may support what you say 100%. Until then I believe that the promotion of the music plays a key part in sales, exposure, market preference etc.

My humble opinion... nada m?s.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Me gusta, me gusta lo que dices. But from what you said I think you understand then that to a great extent PR popularity and Cuban for that matter is based on the power of the promoters... cierto?

deelt said:
It also depends who in the position of power to do the decision making. This is like any agenda setting item. Who is at the helm. I would venture to say there is not many high ranking Dominican professionals in the music recording promoting business. We have been mainly entertainers and thus lack the capital to professionally market. These positions are mainly held by Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and whites. That's the simple truth. Unless we enter those circles I would be hard pressed to say that our "chopo" image will change.

mariposa

May 19, 2004
That is so true

You only have to look at Estefan Mafia to know that you need promoters in this bussiness to market for you otherwise, siempre seremos chopas.

Just look at the Latin Grammys, tropical groups that I have never heard of win instead of Aventura, whom well deserved a grammy.

How come whomever they produce or market always wins one? Bien lo dijo Man?, son una mafia a lo publico!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Promotion is an issue of access. Access can only be acquired through power. Power is money. The question is who has it. Other than Ralph Mercado (who's half PR-DR) I don't know any in the league of an Emilio Estefan.
Having money brings you talent, talent that delivers brings you class. While you may not have it, you can buy it....look at Jessica Simpson or a Brittney Spears...fixed up chopas in good clothing. Who is cleaning up our "chopos" to make them an international sell?

Lesley D said:
Me gusta, me gusta lo que dices. But from what you said I think you understand then that to a great extent PR popularity and Cuban for that matter is based on the power of the promoters... cierto?

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
deelt said:
Promotion is an issue of access. Access can only be acquired through power. Power is money. The question is who has it. Other than Ralph Mercado (who's half PR-DR) I don't know any in the league of an Emilio Estefan.
Having money brings you talent, talent that delivers brings you class. While you may not have it, you can buy it....look at Jessica Simpson or a Brittney Spears...fixed up chopas in good clothing. Who is cleaning up our "chopos" to make them an international sell?

My thought exactly, and Brittney wins awards and she can't even sing at all. Yet the great singers and true artists English or Spainsh never win the award yet they deserve it, it bugs me so much!!! I don't watch award shows anymore because the great artists never seem to win and I'm so tired of it.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I see your point. Well taken.

deelt said:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Trina,

Now I have a chance to go back to this post. So why don't you like Luis Vargas (other than the whining you mentioned)? I am curious that's all. How much of his music have you heard?

trina said:
Los Hermanos Rosario, To?o Rosario solo also has a few good ones, Los Toros Band is one of my favorites, also Alex Bueno, Monchi y Alexandra, Aventura (PR group) has a couple that I like, Zaccarias Ferreira has a lot of really great songs, Juan Luis Guerra is awesome, Fernando Villalona (El Mayimbe en Bachata is my favorite), Jossie Esteban, El Gringo de la Bachata, Eddy Herrera, Rubby Perez, Yoskar Sarante, and Antony Santos to name a few. Great picks above, add these names, and you have a pretty great collection. I found a website that keeps quite current with Dominican music trends. It lets you listen to popular songs from the discography of artists listed. Frank Reyes is my favorite as of late. I know I may offend a lot of people by saying this (my husband included), but I can't stand Luis Vargas' whining...like cry me a river...but that's my opinion...he's certainly still one of the most popular.

http://home-3.tiscali.nl/~pjetax/htmlfile/music_index.html

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I think we are refering to the same thing but you expanded on your point (which is good) and I was trying to be conservative.

deelt said:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
So do you think J LO fits in this category?

deelt said:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
We are in complete agreement the way I read it.

Lesley D said:
I think we are refering to the same thing but you expanded on your point (which is good) and I was trying to be conservative.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Lesley D said:
Trina,

Now I have a chance to go back to this post. So why don't you like Luis Vargas (other than the whining you mentioned)? I am curious that's all. How much of his music have you heard?

Yuck...that's all I can say. My husband listens to him, all the time. Sorry if you like him. He does about the same thing for me as Elvis Crespo. But he is very widely liked. Just not by me. :classic:

ETA: But do you know what a good wife I am? I can't stand his music, and I still recorded 2 Luis Vargas compilation CD's for my husband, spent hours finding good quality songs to put on these CD's. Now that's love. And I tell him how good I am to him and how lucky his is every day. :laugh:

Last edited:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Most definitely! She is from a poor neighborhood in the Bronx from a working-class family. She was a "fly girl" on in Living Colour that was organized by the Wayans brothers and choreographed by Rosie Perez (the Borica with the mad nasal nuyorican accent). That was her starting point on TV. Not very high in my book.

In my opinion she slept her way to the top in the music business. Mottola, her then boy friend, sponsored her first album. P.Diddy, her then boyfriend, sponsored her second album. The first one was WACK by all standards but when you have Mottola and Sony Music backing you how can you NOT make money. These are formulaic corporations that know how to make money.

Samething with Maria Carey. Mottola, given his Latina fetish, made all his lover women/ wives a lot of money. Don't get me wrong these women do have some talent but is it super extra-ordinary. I don't think so. Looks and an *** can go a long way as a strategy, if you don't want to use your brains to get there.

Amelia Vega, just finished signing with Emilio Estefan. She influenced her way to the top by having JLG as her uncle. He is obviously her protector in the business. It all comes down to access. It will be interesting to see how well her records do and given her popularity how much less/more in promotion the mega-record gigants have to spend on her "talent".

Veremos.
Lesley D said:
So do you think J LO fits in this category?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Lesly, I got when I went to DR in December!

Lesley D said:
Talldrink,

Nice to know that you are with us chatting. Yes, I got Raulin's cd last month and I have not stopped playing it since. It's a real treasure. En pocas palabras- la bot? (esta vez). Rompi? el molde. Try to find it, you should not be deprived of such GREAT bachata. It's bad for your health.

The title is:

"Si no te tengo".

You should be able to get it at any store that sells Latin music. I see it all the time.