3136714843_0cc9c37976_m.jpg

3136688891_c9fb0b620a_m.jpg

2841498576_9c5a103ee1_m.jpg

Flickr: Search

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The SD Metro will open for commercial operations on Jan 29th!
The sale of the Metro Cards will commence on Jan 19th and several publicity spots will be rolling out on TV, Radio, Printed media and other types of mass communications.

The Cards will have a net value of $30.00 Pesos. That's the Card cost only! In order to use the system riders will load any amount they want to the Cards. If the Card becomes unreadable or damaged, the Metro attendants in the reload "Boleterias" will replace them free of charge to riders. All riders must save the receipts from the Card purchased, as this will allow them to retrieve the value loaded onto the Cards should they lose it in any way. They will only need to purchase another Card and the value stored on the other will be transfered to the "Newly" purchased one. It's important that any lost be reported immediately to the "Boleteria" so that the lost Card's stored value is unauthorized.

The system will keep facial recognition data from any card reported lost or stolen and later attempted to be used in the system. The unauthorized users will set off an automatic alarm to the security personnel in the station and apprehended. Any Cards found must be turned in to the "Boleterias"...

Over 2 1/2 million people used the Metro during the trials!!! The system is quite capable of moving large crowds with ease!

DSC08912.jpg

DSC08918.jpg

DSC08915.jpg

DSC08930.jpg

3146829094_0e4a5d210d_o.jpg

Last edited:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Very impressive! If the metro functions to reduce traffic congestion in the capitol as much as it appears to have uplifted pride in the people living in SD, it may prove in the long run to have been worth the cost.

FluffySnuggleBunny

Jan 25, 2009
Visiting.

i am going to be visiting the DR soon i was curious if the system is open to teh public now, and what the hours are. im going to be staying int eh city, i was curious if the mama tingo area is a safe are for visitors or not?

thanks for the help!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
"The SD Metro is just the tip of the iceberg emerging in the DR..."

Lets hope this includes a decent public education system, public health provison and a professional civil service for starters.

Hey who needs that? We have a Metro and that's good enough...

FluffySnuggleBunny

Jan 25, 2009
help

i am going to be visiting the DR soon i was curious if the system is open to teh public now, and what the hours are. im going to be staying int eh city, i was curious if the mama tingo area is a safe are for visitors or not?

thanks for the help!

if someone could help me out it would be much appreciated!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
if someone could help me out it would be much appreciated!

Sorry! Just visited my User CP and got wind of your post here!

Yes the Metro is open to the public, just not to ride it or walk the station's platforms. You can visit the stations and buy the Metro Card, which costs 30 Dom Pesos and only provides you the card itself; any fares must be purchased in the same boleterias at $20 pesos each trip.

The stations are now open so that people can buy the reloadable cards and avoid the lines sure to form on the 29th of this months as the train opens for commercial operations (and Dominicans are notorious for leaving everything to the last minute past the hour).

That means yes to go down to the boleteria, no to walk about freely to the platforms or ride the Metro until the 29th of this month (Jan).

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
It was scheduled to open to the public this Thursday BUT now its this Friday 1/30 according to article. Report back on how it goes.....

El Metro de Santo Domingo iniciar? formalmente sus operaciones comerciales a las 6:00 de la ma?ana del pr?ximo 30 de enero,* para despejar las dudas en cuanto a la fecha en que comenzar?a a funcionar el moderno sistema de transporte.

*This Friday 30th of January at 6:00 AM.

Metro SD iniciar? operaciones el viernes - ElNacional.com.do

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
thank you very much, how are the locations near mama tingo is it safe to walk around there being a foriegner?
Villa Mella is the poorest and most dangerous of the municipalities in Greater Santo Domingo.

All these things are relative, of course; but take extra care up there.

-NALs

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Villa Mella is the poorest and most dangerous of the municipalities in Greater Santo Domingo.

All these things are relative, of course; but take extra care up there.

-NALs

Wow...I didn't know Villa Mella was the poorest and most dangerous...I would have picked Guachupita, Los Guandules, El Capotillo, Las Canitas, etc...over Villa Mella. Do you have any evidence of this Nals? Not trying to pick a fight, just curious...I've NEVER been to Villa Mella in my life, even though I used to live not too far from it (Villa Juana).

Oh...and BTW this means that now with The Metro these dangerous Villa Mella tigres can make it to these other richer areas in a jiffy for little to no money. There go those neighborhoods....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Wow...I didn't know Villa Mella was the poorest and most dangerous...I would have picked Guachupita, Los Guandules, El Capotillo, Las Canitas, etc...over Villa Mella. Do you have any evidence of this Nals? Not trying to pick a fight, just curious...I've NEVER been to Villa Mella in my life, even though I used to live not too far from it (Villa Juana).

Oh...and BTW this means that now with The Metro these dangerous Villa Mella tigres can make it to these other richer areas in a jiffy for little to no money. There go those neighborhoods....
Guachupita, Los Guandules, and Capotillo are neighborhoods of the city of Santo Domingo while Villa Mella, which is the colloquial term for all of North Santo Domingo, is a different municipality north of the capital. Big difference and yes, North Santo Domingo (ie. Villa Mella) has more crime and the highest poverty rates of the entire metro area. Funny how the most dangerous neighborhoods in Santo Domingo itself border the river separating it from North Santo Domingo, for the most part.

The vast majority of Villamilleros work in the National District already. Villa Mella is mostly a bedroom community. You should know that.

-NALs

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The vast majority of Villamilleros work in the National District already. Villa Mella is mostly a bedroom community. You should know that.

-NALs

No...I thought they all worked in the Chicharron business.