Miguel Tejada

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
To really understand what they may charge him with you would have to read his testimony. To prove perjury in a Federal Court they must convince a jury that he lied in his testimony on something that is material. Not some minor thing.

For example, if he said he did not send checks that they found signed by him that would be perjury. But if he said he sent the checks for something else and not for steroids, the government would have to prove he is lying and they were in fact for steroids. Not a given by far. Especially if it is his word against another.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
i would call it circumstantial..remember the guy stated he didn't actually see him use it so at this point he would be guilty of buying steriods not using them...

i know we're just splitting hairs...

Somehow I get the feeling that you're not really convinced, imagine a jury of his peers presented with all of the evidence - end result, it doesn't look good.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Somehow I get the feeling that you're not really convinced, imagine a jury of his peers presented with all of the evidence - end result, it doesn't look good.

I think you need to read my previous post if you have not already. He said, she said does not fly well in court. If it ever gets there. They need more than one guy saying something that is ambiguous at best.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think you need to read my previous post if you have not already. He said, she said does not fly well in court. If it ever gets there. They need more than one guy saying something that is ambiguous at best.

You might need to study up on law a little. The guy Tejada wrote the checks to distributed drugs and they have proof he distributed steriods if not his confession. This is enough to show intent and people have gone to jail for many, many years for much more serious crimes - this is fact, not conjecture.

Nonetheless, I propose a friendly wager, a cold jumbo to the winner, assuming you can make it here to Santiago. BTW, I like the light. :)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Some of these guys are going down, if only to show that something seriously is being done to remedy the problem. If they cheated to perform better then they must face the tune.:paranoid:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Some of these guys are going down, if only to show that something seriously is being done to remedy the problem. If they cheated to perform better then they must face the tune.:paranoid:

Rather, if they lied to a Federal Grand Jury, they are going down - this is the main issue, really.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The situation is simple:

-If they didn't take steroids or HGH, they would have no problem testifying to a Federal Grand Jury and saying so, knowing there is no evidence or witness.

-If they took steroids, they either have to fess up and suffer the damage to their public and professional reputation but suffering no problems with Federal indictments; or lie about it, keeping their public and professional reputation somewhat intact, but possibly suffering from Federal indictments...IF there is a paper trail and witnesses.

-Or, you could take the Roger Clements approach: sue the witness against you, thereby keeping the subject from being broached in a Congressional Committee without subpoena...which they would be reluctant to do outside of a Federal indictment (according to a criminal lawyer buddy...). However, there would be testimony down the road by the witrness.

Between the devil and the deep blue sea...

It'll get a LOT uglier before it gets prettier. I suspect, at the End of the Day, there will ultimately be several astericks tossed around because MLB will throw anyone under the bus, Bonds and Clements included, to keep their #1 most valuable asset: their Anti-Trust Exclusion.

Jose Canseco is looking more credible every day...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Unos idiotas...

Botom line, the guy is a cheater and SHOULD be punished......Just like Clemens, Bonds and ALLLLL cheaters should!!.

He lied, lied and lied some more.

Trust me, they WILL make an example out of him!!. (At least I hope they do).

Show me ONE player who was hitting homers left and right, like there's no tomorrow, who was accused of using "the juice", who is STILL hitting them like there's no tomorrow?.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Rafael "Pappy" Perez, one of the leading baseball writers in Santiago has injected himself into Tejada's situation. And he says......
"I think that the Dominican Republic player is not a player that comes from universities," Perez said. "The player of the Dominican comes from poor areas and primarily abandons school in search of the American dream. It happens that a Dominican player doesn't have that sophistication like the American players that know the laws and can walk better in that country.
Is Mr Perez oblivious to the fact that Tejada has more than enough money to hire a very capable America lawyer who knows the law?

Dominican offers Astros' Tejada support amid investigation | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Nada nuevo....

Rafael "Pappy" Perez, one of the leading baseball writers in Santiago has injected himself into Tejada's situation. And he says......

Is Mr Perez oblivious to the fact that Tejada has more than enough money to hire a very capable America lawyer who knows the law?

Dominican offers Astros' Tejada support amid investigation | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Nothing new.....SOME people would rather blame the whole world and NOT the guilty person.

That guys is basically saying that Tejada is stupid and didn't know any better because he is not well-educated....That he didn't know what he was doing.....Then answer me this:

How come he didn't inject himself with rat poison?.......Nooooo, for that he is too smart!!!.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
It ain't easy being Miggy.

AH. I didn't read the article, but I'm agreeing with Mr. Perez's premise.

Many, if not most Dominicans in the ML come from the barrios - they can barely speak Spanish, never mind English. Whereas others (Americans was his example) have experiences early in life - and all throughout their education - where examples of right and wrong are illustrated and they learn from it; a rigid structure. Without this experience, the ability to grasp two concepts (right and wrong) at the same time and still maintain the ability to function is completely foreign to them.

All the money in the world isn't going to help Tejada make informed decisions.

I sincerely feel bad for him. My hope is that somewhere along the way, either he, or someone else, will use his experience as an example of what NOT to do.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
AH. I didn't read the article, but I'm agreeing with Mr. Perez's premise.

Many, if not most Dominicans in the ML come from the barrios - they can barely speak Spanish, never mind English. Whereas others (Americans was his example) have experiences early in life - and all throughout their education - where examples of right and wrong are illustrated and they learn from it; a rigid structure. Without this experience, the ability to grasp two concepts (right and wrong) at the same time and still maintain the ability to function is completely foreign to them.

All the money in the world isn't going to help Tejada make informed decisions.

I sincerely feel bad for him. My hope is that somewhere along the way, either he, or someone else, will use his experience as an example of what NOT to do.
I disagree. Tejada went through the minor league system, and has contact with a LOT of baseball players who have been around for a loooooong time. To say he didn't know because if his background is naive. He, like every athlete who CHOOSES to go the steroid route knew exactly what he was doing. So did his agent, who ALSO benefitted from his steroid use.

Ignorance, even if accurate, is no excuse.

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
I disagree. Tejada went through the minor league system, and has contact with a LOT of baseball players who have been around for a loooooong time. To say he didn't know because if his background is naive. He, like every athlete who CHOOSES to go the steroid route knew exactly what he was doing. So did his agent, who ALSO benefitted from his steroid use.

I agree with cobra. Also, I've spoken face-to-face with Dominican ballplayers about this issue: they are not ignorant with regards to steroids. They are preached on it since before they sign their first contract.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Odd logic

Who you hang around with isn't who you are - perhaps it's who you want to be.

I'm not saying he didn't know what he was doing. I don't really care if he's lying (which I'm sure he is).

What I'm saying - in reference to the post I replied to - is that he probably doesn't have the capacity to make good - and informed - decisions.

He knows whether he lied under oath or not. And he's had quite a few opportunities to make a good - and informed - decision, and the more that comes out it's clear to me he's clueless, and so are the people around him - who I guess would be his buddies you're referring to.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Thanks

I agree with cobra. Also, I've spoken face-to-face with Dominican ballplayers about this issue: they are not ignorant with regards to steroids. They are preached on it since before they sign their first contract.
Exactly!!!!

And yet they still continue to make the same mistakes over and over, at a higher rate than any other "group"*.

The preachers at the universities the other players go to are better than the Dominican preachers?

-----
*I don't know this, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't true.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I agree with Cobraboy on this one. Its true that some of these guys are not exactly educated, but for Mr Perez to insinuate that because they don't understand the laws of the US somehow they need our support or that Tejeda maybe innocent is ridiculous. That my friends has nothing to do with the mess that Tejeda is in. Taking an educated guess here, Mr.Tejada knew fully well that steroids were illegal....period.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I agree with Cobraboy on this one. Its true that some of these guys are not exactly educated, but for Mr Perez to insinuate that because they don't understand the laws of the US somehow they need our support or that Tejeda maybe innocent is ridiculous. That my friends has nothing to do with the mess that Tejeda is in. Taking an educated guess here, Mr.Tejada knew fully well that steroids were illegal....period.
I'll take this a step further. I was a (rather insignificant) pro athlete, football, for three years as a kid. From my freshman year in college, through pro camps, the first organized, official meeting to begin camp there was ALWAYS a league official who came to lecture on a variety of behavioral issues, and even in the early 70's, steroids was one of them.

I know for a fact this has not changed in football, and I'd bet the same is true for baseball.

Players take steroids to get better than they could without then. Period. The excuses this guy has for Tejada (or ANY athlete caught in the net) is laughable.