Miguel Tejada

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
These guys don't live in a cellar believe me. They know what steriods will do and the ramifications from early on. Believe me, when they are having their visa processed to come to the promise land I'm sure the ballclub that signs them will have somebody advising them.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I don+t believe that any pro athlete is ignorant of the laws governing steroid use or the effects. Also, anyone in the top of their sport, whether it is football, baseball or whatever, has been exposed, and is educated, in their field of expertise and knows exactly waht they and their peers are doing. If not, how can so many of us recreational playes know so much?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Maybe because "us" didn't grow up in a barrio.
Maybe "us" got past 4th grade?

"Us" don't see things as they are, "us" sees them as "us" are.
You never played sports, did you?

Not dissing you, but if you had you'd understand how the "poor barrio kid" is no excuse for using and lying about using steroids. You don't get to the Majors without knowing what the dealio is, not to mention he has an agent who has been his #1 contact since landing in the states as a Minor Leaguer. Heck, the agent might even be the one who sourced the steroids. We know clubhouse underlings had access.

Now making excuses about them, placing blame away from the user, is a different matter. THAT is Classic Dominican: "It's not me, then dog ate my homework, and my mother was sick..." :cheeky:

Manzanas y naranjas...;)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
the thinking here is "this is my one and only chance" and "i'll do anything" to get there...

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Now making excuses about them, placing blame away from the user, is a different matter. THAT is Classic Dominican: "It's not me, then dog ate my homework, and my mother was sick..." :cheeky:

Manzanas y naranjas...;)

No. That's triple-C: Classic Chris Colon.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The story is mostly about Clemen's pending next step to the start of a criminal investgation by the Justice Department. But deeper into the story you find the following....

In a related case last month, Waxman and Davis jointly asked the Justice Department to investigate shortstop Miguel Tejada for suspected false statements in 2005, when Tejada spoke privately with committee staff members about performance-enhancing drugs.
aaayyyy mamacita

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/26/sports/baseball/26clemens.html?_r=1&hp&oref=login

Jan 5, 2006
These politicians are blood thirsty sharks. If they see any opportunity to expand on their dog and pony show, they'll take it, so all those players who got caught up in the various investigations and lied about their involvement will be targeted, if only to make the politicians look like they're doing something good.

They have the goods on Clemens and Tejada, so they'll soon be coming to a federal court near you.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
These politicians are blood thirsty sharks. If they see any opportunity to expand on their dog and pony show, they'll take it, so all those players who got caught up in the various investigations and lied about their involvement will be targeted, if only to make the politicians look like they're doing something good.

They have the goods on Clemens and Tejada, so they'll soon be coming to a federal court near you.
Yup.

Shouldn't lie in D.C. They'll make a "Federal Case" out of it...:surprised

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Follow up on yesterdays story. The formal request from congress for an investigation by the Dept. of Justice is sent. There also seems to be more evidence against him......

But by the end of last week, the Democratic majority on the committee had drafted a letter only asking that Clemens be referred. What was not clear was whether Waxman would get Republicans to go along. In the end, he did.

One reason he was able to do so, may be a reference in the letter to further information federal law enforcement authorities may have developed against Clemens.

?We also understand that federal law enforcement officials may have access to additional evidence on these matters,? the letter stated.

......and in the horizon all this stuff does not look good for Tejada.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/sports/baseball/28clemens.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Jan 5, 2006
There also seems to be more evidence against him......

These guys are dumb are egotistical, which makes for a bad combination, especially when you are trying to make a lie stand up to the scrutiny of someone as relentless as the fed.

In the case of Clemens, an innocent photo at the Canseco party with a child who was a neighbor of Canseco, and a conversation between his wife and Canseco's wife about their boob jobs, will be his undoing.

All he had to do was admit to some usage of HGH and/or steroids and chalk it up to being dumb and/or desperate to stay competitive, and he would have avoided all the fuzz. Instead, he let his huge ego in the way, and here we are. Idiot!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
All he had to do was admit to some usage of HGH and/or steroids and chalk it up to being dumb and/or desperate to stay competitive, and he would have avoided all the fuzz. Instead, he let his huge ego in the way, and here we are. Idiot!

Totally agree. Should of done what Petit did, let it out truthfully from day one and things will settle into place. Between them who looks smarter now.....as for Tejada he just keeps digging himself more and more into a hole, but its still not too late. Do you think he has the brains to learn something from all of this?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Thomas Is Found Guilty in First Trial Linked to Balco Case

Who is Thomas you ask. What's a cyclist have to do with baseball?......
This verdict does not bode well for Tejada and others. This case and verdict is only the first that deals with the Balco investigations into steroid use in baseball and other sports. You could say the Balco investigations is what started the peeling of the onion. This is all tied in with what's coming down the pike for Bonds and others.

The central guy in all of this is the I.R.S. special agent Jeff Novitzky. His investigation was also crucial in the Mitchell report that named Tejada. In Clemens house hearings, this dude was sitting in the crowd watching the spectacle that he had so much to do with.

SAN FRANCISCO ? A former elite cyclist, whose trial was the first in the five-and-a-half-year investigation of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative, was found guilty Friday of making false statements under oath to a federal grand jury about using performance-enhancing drugs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/05/sports/othersports/05thomas.html?ref=sports

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Tejada two Years Older Now

Default Tejada tells team he?s 33, sted 31
4-17-08:
Tejada tells team he?s 33, sted 31
HOUSTON (AP)?Astros shortstop Miguel Tejada has told the team he?s actually 33, two years older than he?s listed in the club?s media guide and other baseball records.
Tejada, saying he wanted rid himself of a burden, approached general manager Ed Wade and asked to correct misinformation he gave the Oakland A?s when he signed in 1993, the Houston Chronicle reported on its Web site Thursday.
Team officials were not immediately available to comment to The Associated Press. The Astros were wrapping up a three-game series Thursday with the Phillies in Philadelphia.
Tejada was actually 19 when he signed out of poverty-stricken Bani, Dominican Republic. At the time, he says, a local coach encouraged him to say he was 17.
?I?m a poor kid that wanted to sign,? Tejada said on the Chronicle site. ?I?m feeling free now. It?s something that I had in my mind.?

The former American League MVP was signed out of the Dominican Republic by Hall of Famer Juan Marichal, but he was clear Marichal had no part in the deception. Moreover, Wade and Tejada both said the shortstop?s green card, driver?s license and other legal papers in the United States reflect his actual birthday, May 25, 1974.
The Astros? media guide lists his birthday as May 25, 197

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
That's pitiful, both on the part of ESPN and Miguel.

I'd never wish bad things on anyone, but deporting him would be wholly appropriate.

I agree. If a big name gets deported maybe it will make others stop cheating. There is no doubt that Tejada was a great ball player but he is and was a cheat (steroids and age) The age thing is huge. It seems that a couple of Dominican ball players have been caught up in this lie. Danny Almonte is a good example. Since 9-11 it would be just plain stupid to lie about your age and try to enter the U.S.