Miguel Tejada

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Why do they have to deport him, his true age is listed in his Passport and Residence, so there's no problem with him and immigration about this.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Why do they have to deport him, his true age is listed in his Passport and Residence, so there's no problem with him and immigration about this.

If that were the case why would any baseball team be surprised about the true age of these baseball players? Aren't they the ones that arrange to get work visa's for the ball players?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

This would be good if this is were the case, but this would be unlikely, as the team owners would have to have the original documents to make copies of them. Think about it, you go to a bank to open an account and they need this info, why would a baseball team who is going to pay this guy millions every year want anything less?

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Swing and a miss

Miguel Tostada's ESPN interview reveals a serial liar. Not good when you're already facing a possible perjury charge on performance enhancing drugs to admit you've been lying for 14 years. It doesn't give you're denial much crediblility. Age is central to a sports contract. Tostada has had several opportunities to correct the record. The Orioles' Executive VP Mike Flanagan has said they probably wouldn't have signed a 6-yr deal when they did. And would the Astros have traded 5 prospects to get him? Fortunately, the Astros learned about this before contract extension talks with Tostada got underway. His current contract runs through '09. Tostada's claim that he wanted to man up and tell his new team all the facts is bogus also. He was signed last Dec. 13th.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
What ExtremeR said is correct. Tejada did not decieve US immigrations in any way, and one of the reasons the Astros are low keying this is they have egg all over their face for not doing due diligence in checking his age before the trade. (Of course Baltimore and Oakland didn't either.) The other reason they aren't upset right now is he is having a heckuva year so far!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
With all due respect...

...it's just a sport. And sports isn't some metaphor for life lessons about character. It's about men paid entirely too much money to play an advanced variation of a child's game, and the people who turn them into heroes and pay them too much money in the hopes they can play at the same level if they just buy the shoes.

On to topic. So he lied about his age. Big deal. Happens every minute of every day. Suspend him without pay for a time and cut his salary as a penalty, then get on with the game.

No deportations.

No being "cut to the core" over his "betrayal" of your trust.

After all, it's just a game. Really.:glasses:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What ExtremeR said is correct. Tejada did not decieve US immigrations in any way, and one of the reasons the Astros are low keying this is they have egg all over their face for not doing due diligence in checking his age before the trade. (Of course Baltimore and Oakland didn't either.) The other reason they aren't upset right now is he is having a heckuva year so far!

What's your source?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I would be willing to bet that his personnel records with the Astros, Orioles and A's Human Resources departments all show his correct birthdate, but nobody ever cought the discrepency, or if they did it was someone working in the office who knew nothing about baseball and didn't think it was a big deal.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I used to work for the Orioles, way back when. The first meeting in spring training, Minor and Major, is about drugs. All the players know what not to do. When a player is signed. A birth cert. is provided. His had all the right seals. Do you think it is that hard to get a doctored one here?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I see this all the time here in the DR, an abject lack of respect for laws in general. At first, I really couldn't understand it, as seemingly good people (such as pastors, religious people) gave me advice on how to get my wife into the States illegally. Not to mention all of the free advice on how to rob power and water, etc.

I now have come to the conclusion that the attitudes are such because of ignorance (in the innocent sense of the word) and the poor, poor examples that the leaders set here with constant scandal after scandal. Dominicans in essence are raised to believe that laws only apply to those who get caught. I have found this also to be the case with other hispanics from other countries. Some obviously have a harder time adapting to the US than others, apparently as is the case with Tejada.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I think Tejada still thinks like he is still here. It doesn't matter unless I get caught. Then it's I'm poor and uneducated. He makes $13,000,000.00 a year. Has been in the US for 13 years plus. Has a agent and lawyer. He's not stupid. He knows more about this stuff then we'll ever know, but "I'm from a poor country is a good defense.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think Tejada still thinks like he is still here. It doesn't matter unless I get caught. Then it's I'm poor and uneducated. He makes $13,000,000.00 a year. Has been in the US for 13 years plus. Has a agent and lawyer. He's not stupid. He knows more about this stuff then we'll ever know, but "I'm from a poor country is a good defense.

Don't forget when Tejada lied to get signed he was still poor and uneducated for the most part. I'm sure he regretted it a long time ago but probably was afraid to do anything about it.

It reminds me of the couple of minor league players that were deported a year or so ago for being involved in "matrimonios de negocio".

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
?

I cringe to say this, but I'd disagree with you. But he's not the only guilty party either; buscones and the people who originally signed him (earlier than legally possible) are equally - if not more - responsible.

He's a baseball player only. It's the only thing he knows. I don't fault him for his desperation as a poor kid, trying to lift himself and family to opportunities that otherwise are completely out of their reach. He lied - and seems to continue to - but that only makes him human.

Further, I would tend to believe Tejada is the end of the line for players that have sketchy documentation. MLB has significantly tightened the process of age verification and education (i.e. if you're caught with false paperwork at the visa office, you'll never step foot in the US again). If that information is better understood by a pelotero and his family, hopefully such a risk/reward analysis would enforce the rules better.

Hopefully Tejada's experience will be a learning guide for future players. It won't necessarily stop buscones, or teams hiding players until they're of legal age, but progress is being made.

Last edited: