moving to the DR soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2011
The people are so gracious, by that I mean the Dominicans, the Haitians and the expats; everyone.

The problem is not even the Dominicans like and trust all the Dominicans. And they're generally not fond of Haitians. The graciousness you refer to is the cultural practice of wanting to quedar bien. The shine will wear off.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"POLLO", if you feel that way, why don't you just go back to where you came from???????
I guess, to "Cut And Run" when something bothers you is a "Canuck Thing"??????????????????
Guess they never heard the statement up there in the "Frozen Tundra","The First Step To Solving A Problem, Is To Recognize That There IS ONE!!!!!!!!

Lets see if they are still here in the DR posting after their own,27 years in "Paradise"????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And I'm moving to Saudi Arabia, I'm gonna corner the sand market!!

Dec 26, 2011
"POLLO", if you feel that way, why don't you just go back to where you came from???????

I did. :)

See you in the capital sometime after semana drunka(that's a good one, btw), CCCCCCCCCCC.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We can make a list of all the honest "Dominicanos" we know!!!!!!
After THAT 15 seconds I'll buy you a "JUMBO"!
"Presidente" JUMBO, NOT a "Jumbo Chica" that is!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
And Criss, If it is so horrible here. Why don't you just go back to wherever you are from? There are flights that leave daily.

J baby; El senor Colon, can just pick up and leave, he is here (on a secret mission) para mejorar la raza...and has done a fantastic job. I only dream of the things he has actually done.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
OP: please ignore the ignorant people who have become jaded. Living deep in the barrio does that to gringos I think.

I don't believe it is just people being nice here, when they don't get anything from me. There are, believe it or not, a lot of Dominicans here ( or maybe a few ) who are educated and smart and wonderful people. I know, because I find them all the time. There is also a great community here in the DR of English and French, none of whom have the attitude of hatred towards this country as displayed here. We don't stay here for the weather only, we could have gone anywhere in the Carribean for that. We stay because we really do love it here. Like I said before, I almost never post on here. Today was cloudy and rainy here, so I thought, hey why not? Obviously I haven't been here for 27 years like some people have, I would have to be Dominican for that...I'm still a young grasshopper. Most five year olds don't move to a new country on there own. I don't have a Dominican boyfriend, husband or children. But I do own a piece of property here, and it is beautiful....at the cost of a shiny new car in Canada.

Please don't listen to the negativity. Most forums will pull a troll off the forum, here they let them moderate...don't blame the Dominicans for that, thats a gringo problem I think. This island is beautiful, it is diverse, the people don't want to kill you for drug money ( unlike most us cities, Boston for sure lol)

Some people cannot find love or happiness anywhere. They look for it everywhere, Thailand, The Dominican...they can't find it, because they are miserable inside. That is their problem, don't listen to them. There really is happiness to be had here.

You all may wonder why we are coming here. We wonder why you haven't left yet. Life is too short to complain, to live the things that make us complain.

I will make my life here. And I will be happy.

That is all.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
we bought our home here ....omg....without renting first (please dr1 gods, don't strike us down!). my husband and i came here for our honeymoon, and we knew immediately, we wanted to stay forever. We bought our place here in el cortecito after a four year search that took us all over the island

op: Please ignore the ignorant people who have become jaded. Living deep in the barrio does that to gringos i think.

i don't have a dominican boyfriend, husband or children. but i do own a piece of property here, and it is beautiful....at the cost of a shiny new car in canada.

You all may wonder why we are coming here. We wonder why you haven't left yet. Life is too short to complain, to live the things that make us complain.

I'm confused, must be my old age, is it "WE" or "I"; married or single???????
Could you or the 2 of you please make up your mind(s)?

"R"

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
WE. I married a Canadian. Some women do that. We both are here. I am writing to you, but we are married. The article changes, the marital status doesn't.

Dec 26, 2011
OP: please ignore the ignorant people who have become jaded. Living deep in the barrio does that to gringos I think.

I don't believe it is just people being nice here, when they don't get anything from me. There are, believe it or not, a lot of Dominicans here ( or maybe a few ) who are educated and smart and wonderful people. I know, because I find them all the time. There is also a great community here in the DR of English and French, none of whom have the attitude of hatred towards this country as displayed here. We don't stay here for the weather only, we could have gone anywhere in the Carribean for that. We stay because we really do love it here. Like I said before, I almost never post on here. Today was cloudy and rainy here, so I thought, hey why not? Obviously I haven't been here for 27 years like some people have, I would have to be Dominican for that...I'm still a young grasshopper. Most five year olds don't move to a new country on there own. I don't have a Dominican boyfriend, husband or children. But I do own a piece of property here, and it is beautiful....at the cost of a shiny new car in Canada.

Please don't listen to the negativity. Most forums will pull a troll off the forum, here they let them moderate...don't blame the Dominicans for that, thats a gringo problem I think. This island is beautiful, it is diverse, the people don't want to kill you for drug money ( unlike most us cities, Boston for sure lol)

Some people cannot find love or happiness anywhere. They look for it everywhere, Thailand, The Dominican...they can't find it, because they are miserable inside. That is their problem, don't listen to them. There really is happiness to be had here.

I will make my life here. And I will be happy.

That is all.

Which of the following do you find most charming about RD, Miss Sunshine?:

1. The pervasive spirit of mediocrity in workmanship.
2. The rampant drinking and driving.
3. Drivers that blind you with their highbeams.
4. Drivers that operate vehicles without lights at night.
5. The apathy and corruption of the police force.
6. Illiterate kids in soldier uniforms that carry rifles and direct random drivers to pull over for a mordida.
7. AMET idiots.
8. Companies in the tourism industry that steal from their employees by forcing them to hand over their tips, keeping some of it for themselves/supervisors/management.
9. All of the caba?as. You know what they're for, right?
10. Pervasive dishonesty. From the top down.
11. The generalized reluctance of the men to acknowledge and support their offspring.
12. Not being able to drink tap water.
13. Lack of proper sanitation services.
14. The pervasive lack of consideration for others and manners that even Dominicans lament.
15. That casualties in accidents are routinely robbed and left to decompose for hours in the heat and humidity before the police arrive.
16. On and on and on

It's a beautiful country with beautiful people. I love it with all my heart. But it's also a place where stupidity is celebrated and style matters more than substance. It can get better. In some ways it is. But your Jimmy Buffett attitude that insulates you from the reality of the place isn't doing anything to help.

I'm a happy, aware and empathetic person. As such it saddens me to see the numerous ways the Dominican people have been failed- by uninvolved or abusive fathers, shady politicos, a corrupt Church and exploitative business interests. There's a campaign going on to teach people to read. That's a step in the right direction. But the hard work's just beginning.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
WE. I married a Canadian. Some women do that. We both are here. I am writing to you, but we are married. The article changes, the marital status doesn't.

So, you don't have a Dominican boyfriend or a Dominican husband or Dominican children!
Do you have a non-Dominican boyfriend and/or non-Dominican children?

Not that it really means anything, but you did open the door for that question!

"R"

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Which of the following do you find most charming about RD, Miss Sunshine?:

1. The pervasive spirit of mediocrity in workmanship.
2. The rampant drinking and driving.
3. Drivers that blind you with their highbeams.
4. Drivers that operate vehicles without lights at night.
5. The apathy and corruption of the police force.
6. Illiterate kids in soldier uniforms that carry rifles and direct random drivers to pull over for a mordida.
7. AMET idiots.
8. Companies in the tourism industry that steal from their employees by forcing them to hand over their tips, keeping some of it for themselves/supervisors/management.
9. All of the caba?as. You know what they're for, right?
10. Pervasive dishonesty. From the top down.
11. The generalized reluctance of the men to acknowledge and support their offspring.
12. Not being able to drink tap water.
13. Lack of proper sanitation services.
14. The pervasive lack of consideration for others and manners that even Dominicans lament.
15. That casualties in accidents are routinely robbed and left to decompose for hours in the heat and humidity before the police arrive.
16. On and on and on

It's a beautiful country with beautiful people. I love it with all my heart. But it's also a place where stupidity is celebrated and style matters more than substance. It can get better. In some ways it is. But your Jimmy Buffett attitude that insulates you from the reality of the place isn't doing anything to help.

I'm a happy, aware and empathetic person. As such it saddens me to see the numerous ways the Dominican people have been failed- by uninvolved or abusive fathers, shady politicos, a corrupt Church and exploitative business interests. There's a campaign going on to teach people to read. That's a step in the right direction. But the hard work's just beginning.

I have observed #2,10,12,13, and 14. My wife's cousin has 3 girls with three different women. He has always paid for their schooling and clothing.I know it true because I've known these girls for 14 years. Numerous women that have children at our school receive money from their child's father for school fees....etc. Even guys that have screwed around on their wifes and had a child with another women pay child support. I even know two women that are paying child support. Lots and lots of fathers come to the school to talk about how their children are doin...etc as well as to pick up their children. I know there are plenty of Dominican guys that deserve a bad rap as fathers/sperm donors but I know many that don't fit that profile.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Wow. Then go home. Flights leave daily. In fact, if you don't have the dollars, let us all take a collection. I don't want you to have to stay here in hell. Just get on a plane, show them your almighty passport and go.

Please for the love of God, stop telling people how horrid it is here, and then stay. That makes no Goddamn sense.

1. There are people who have good skills in workmanship, but unlike Canada they don't have papers to prove it. And they don't cost 200 pesos, so you can't afford them. Thats your problem.
2. My hometown in Canada also has rampant drinking and driving, the farmers there are the worst. If you don't like it here or are scared at night, don't drive at night...or go home!
3. Again, if you are scared at night, stay in or go home.
4. The police force can be corrupt anywhere. Trayvon Martin? Police are poorly paid here, maybe it will get better. If it bothers you so much, go home.
5. If spending 200 pesos on such bull**** bothers you, go home.
7. AMET once helped me cross the road in busy traffic, other than that, useless. If they bother you so much go home.
8. Tip employees by putting cash in their hands here. Other than that, not my problem. If it makes you cry at night, Go home.
9. Prostitution? Doesn't bother me. Better than Vanier in Ottawa with girls standing on the street. If sex bothers you so much....you know it....go home.
10. Sigh, everywhere you will find dishonesty. If you can't sleep at night then .... go home.
11. Some men are proud fathers, some aren't. Just like in Canada or elsewhere. Thank God we have Criss to buy leche and pampers for the whole country.
12. Using sterile water to **** it is overrated and expensive. We only drink five percent or less of the water we use daily. If you need to drink out of the tap, you know it.... go home.
13. I have proper sanitation services here...
14. Really? Well let us all lament the lack of manners. I usually just assume they are Russian. If I need to hear a please and thank you and politeness I find a Canadian, other than that who cares?
15. I haven't seen this, I don't want to either. Perhaps we use our knowledge and power to make this a better place? I would just take the victims to the hospital, I wouldn't just leave them in the sun to rot, but that is just me.

Yes. This is a DEVELOPING COUNTRY. It is actually developing though. Do not judge individuals based on individual experiences. There are bad fathers and bad cops world wide. There are crazy things in every country.

Why are we trying to convince OP that this place is so bad and don't come here? Your here. I'm here. We aren't stupid are we? Do we have a death wish? No.

Signed,
Miss Rainbows and Sunshine

Dec 26, 2011
Wow. Then go home. Flights leave daily. In fact, if you don't have the dollars, let us all take a collection. I don't want you to have to stay here in hell. Just get on a plane, show them your almighty passport and go.

Please for the love of God, stop telling people how horrid it is here, and then stay. That makes no Goddamn sense.

1. There are people who have good skills in workmanship, but unlike Canada they don't have papers to prove it. And they don't cost 200 pesos, so you can't afford them. Thats your problem.
2. My hometown in Canada also has rampant drinking and driving, the farmers there are the worst. If you don't like it here or are scared at night, don't drive at night...or go home!
3. Again, if you are scared at night, stay in or go home.
4. The police force can be corrupt anywhere. Trayvon Martin? Police are poorly paid here, maybe it will get better. If it bothers you so much, go home.
5. If spending 200 pesos on such bull**** bothers you, go home.
7. AMET once helped me cross the road in busy traffic, other than that, useless. If they bother you so much go home.
8. Tip employees by putting cash in their hands here. Other than that, not my problem. If it makes you cry at night, Go home.
9. Prostitution? Doesn't bother me. Better than Vanier in Ottawa with girls standing on the street. If sex bothers you so much....you know it....go home.
10. Sigh, everywhere you will find dishonesty. If you can't sleep at night then .... go home.
11. Some men are proud fathers, some aren't. Just like in Canada or elsewhere. Thank God we have Criss to buy leche and pampers for the whole country.
12. Using sterile water to **** it is overrated and expensive. We only drink five percent or less of the water we use daily. If you need to drink out of the tap, you know it.... go home.
13. I have proper sanitation services here...
14. Really? Well let us all lament the lack of manners. I usually just assume they are Russian. If I need to hear a please and thank you and politeness I find a Canadian, other than that who cares?
15. I haven't seen this, I don't want to either. Perhaps we use our knowledge and power to make this a better place? I would just take the victims to the hospital, I wouldn't just leave them in the sun to rot, but that is just me.

Yes. This is a DEVELOPING COUNTRY. It is actually developing though. Do not judge individuals based on individual experiences. There are bad fathers and bad cops world wide. There are crazy things in every country.

Why are we trying to convince OP that this place is so bad and don't come here? Your here. I'm here. We aren't stupid are we? Do we have a death wish? No.

Signed,

Are you fluent in the language? Do you do a lot of driving? Have you ever been part of a Dominican family? Do you read the newspaper? Do you watch the news?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

Signed,

Haha! You don't say. Ex pats who live in and amongst Dominican society have to adapt to living and bypassing the BS, just a simple go home is not really a decent response, and shows how uncommitted your own decision has been, some have real commitments, and what makes you think life back home was better than here. Just because there is a mile long sh1t list for here does not mean it is less better than anywhere else, it just has a lot of sh1t to deal with, some people can accept it and still live content. It is much better than pretending it doesn't exist and lying to yourself and others about these points.

Status
Not open for further replies.