Status
Not open for further replies.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Lol!

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
不。这不是妒嫉根本。其外, 任何人可能使用译者。
If you need to use Babelfish to translate, you'll need to learn to change the character set first!

Tom aka XR Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Red_Girl said:
I agree that it is a matter of respect to use the correct name (once corrected). "The Dominican" does seem to flow naturally, though.

Just for interest's sake, I read that Christopher Columbus and his brother each discovered an island in the Caribbean (I think Chris discovered the D.R.) on a Sunday, and so they each named their island "Dominica" after "domingo". They called one the Dominican Republic to distinguish between the two, and the other Dominica.

My source is the book called An Embarassment of Mangoes, a novel written by a Canadian who went cruising to the Caribbean for two years. (It is an entertaining read with lots of great recipes, I've tried out a ton of them - highly recommend the book.)

Just thought it was interesting.

The novel has its facts wrong. Christopher Columbus indeed landed on both islands. The one now shared by the Republic of Haiti and the Dominican Republic in 1492, He named it "la Isla Espa?ola" ("the Spanish Island" to honor his Iberian masters King Ferdinand of Arag?n and Isabel of Castilla). Hispaniola, is a Latin language version of this name, and its internationally- sanctioned geographic name to this day. He "discovered"the island of Dominica
in the eastern Caribbean on a Novemebr of 1493 Sunday, hence the name Dominica. The latter was later French posession and eventually British. It is now an independent, UK commonwealth. The name rep?blica, thus could not have possibly been used by Columbus, a Genovese sailor working for a Spanish monarchy. He left his brother Bartolom? (Bartholomew) in charge in the temporary settlement of La Isabela (named after the then Spanish Queen) while he want to Spain to lobby the Crown for more privileges. It was Bart who founded the 1st permanent settlement on the island in 1496 with the name of Santo Domingo de Guzm?n. The whole island was for centuries known as Santo Domingo, and its inhabitants as Dominicans. The name of Rep?blica Dominicana was not coined until 1838 by Juan Pablo Duarte. Members of the secret pro-independence society of La Trinitaria had a pledge in which they promised to pursue the liberation of the old Santo Domingo Espa?ol and turn it into a new country "that shall be named Rep?blica Dominicana" ( or the republic of the Dominicans, in Spanish of the Domicanos, not to be confused with the Dominicos- see below). Saint Domingue in French refers to what is today Haiti. Of note, it is still debated by scholars as to why the name of the city founded by Bartolom? was Santo Domingo. Take your pick: a- to honor the day of the Lord, or Holy Sunday (literally Santo Domingo), possibly based on the day the island was "discovered".
b- to honor the father of the Columbus brothers, Domenico,
c- to honor Santo Domingo de Guzm?n (the city's still official long name), Domingo de Guzm?n was a Spanish catholic priest from medieval times who founded the religious order of the Preachers, known as the Dominicos in Spanish. The convento de los Dominicos can be visited in the city's colonial zone and it dates to 1511.
d- a combination of the above
e- none of the above.
et Voil?.
-Tordok

Apr 26, 2002
You're such a card, XR

XanaduRanch said:
If you need to use Babelfish to translate, you'll need to learn to change the character set first!

So Babelfish wouldn't translate it back for you, huh.

To move away from your smug diversions for a second and back to your pontifications, do you think your "The Dominican" argument has been throroughly-enough trumped yet. Hell, you probably say the word "Florida" every week and somehow the time-space continuem is not violated.

Those of us earthly mortals who previously thought God infallible now must know.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
The whole island was for centuries known as Santo Domingo, and its inhabitants as Dominicans.
I wonder why not "Domingueros?" Barum pum tss. But seriously, folks...

Tordok, wouldn't the answer obviously be c)?

PS I'm not from the Dominican.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Whatever.

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
So Babelfish wouldn't translate it back for you, huh.
To move away from your smug diversions for a second and back to your pontifications, do you think your "The Dominican" argument has been throroughly-enough trumped yet. Hell, you probably say the word "Florida" every week and somehow the time-space continuem is not violated.
Those of us earthly mortals who previously thought God infallible now must know.
So tell me what I said then, you stupid cow. Ask Hillbilly. He's pretty good at Latin. Much better than me, I am sure! FYI, Babelfish does not do Latin translations. Word!

As to Florida, once again you miss the mark. What it means in Spanish is not relevant to what it means in English. Florida is just another noun in English. Is that really so difficult to understand? Poor boy. You have, apparently, more than one language under your belt but it hasn't sunk in yet? Learn a few more and see us all in the morning.

Tom aka XR My wife will buy anything marked down. Last year she bought an escalator.

Apr 26, 2002
XanaduRanch said:
you stupid cow.

Wow, seven languages and that's the best you could come up with. Sounds like English must not be your best one - limited lexicon and all. You also need to be more careful on assigning gender since your standard mysoginistic retorts do not apply.

XanaduRanch said:
As to Florida, once again you miss the mark. What it means in Spanish is not relevant to what it means in English. Florida is just another noun in English.

Sounds like your making MY point. Last I checked, "The Dominican" was also a term originating in Spanish and making its way into English.

It is only with great trepidation that I dare advise the divine XR that many words that started out as adjectives in English or in foreign languages have become nouns in English. These include "hydro" (from the Greek "niros", meaning "clean") and "stout" (a type of beer - from the adjective for robust).

Does the phrase "I had a fun time at the amusement park" annoy thee, since "fun" is an established noun. If so, how shall I have the people who use it as an adjective killed?

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hic puer est stultissimus omnium!

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Wow, seven languages and that's the best you could come up with. Sounds like English must not be your best one - limited lexicon and all ... Sounds like your making MY point. Last I checked, "The Dominican" was also a term originating in Spanish and making its way into English.
I won't translate that one for you. Learn it or hire your own service. The rest from my last post is much funnier. What did I write oh guru?

What of all this escapes you? "Dominican" is an adjective. As is "Floridian". Only a Latin challenged idiot would say he was going to the "Floridian" for a vacation at Disney World. Equally as stupid as saying he was going to the "Dominican" to visit Playa Dorada.

No problem. If that's how you want to be identified, the rest of us will know who to avoid - the great unwashed. Good Lord.

Tom aka XR In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
You're such a Card, XR

Insults in Latin, now (a "big fool", as translated). I'll bet that kind of thing had all the schoolboys laughing (at you?) back at Our Lady of Perpetual Motion Academy for spoiled rich kids.

Our lord is a little slow picking up today, so I'll restate. "Florida" is a spanish adjective meaning "flowery". It was never previously a noun. It became a noun (in both languages) when some mapmaker decided to add a pronoun in front of it and use it as a placename. Thus, the word "Floridian" is, from a historical perspective, akin to saying "Dominicanite". Yet, you accept "Floridian" as correct.

So, as only XR and the Pope can do, it has now been decreed that "Florida" was never an adjective, that "Florida" has always been a noun, and, therefore, that, most importantly, the more one pontificates the more true are the words spoken.

And Hillbilly's not here to "get" your inside joke. (Surely nobody else cares.)

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
BZZZZzzzz! Try again!

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Insults in Latin, now (a "big fool", as translated).
Nope! Not even close! You're grasp of Latin is exceeded only by your understanding of English apparently.

Our lord is a little slow picking up today, so I'll restate. "Florida" is a spanish adjective meaning "flowery". It was never previously a noun.
Once again, the point is, who cares what this is in Spanish? We're discussing English. Small detail I know. Sorry to hold your feet to the fire chap, but, well, there it is.

Tom aka XR The most effective way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once.

Apr 26, 2002
XanaduRanch said:
Once again, the point is, who cares what this is in Spanish? We're discussing English.

You got that Latin down pretty good there, XR. Must of been all of those late nights "studying" with the priests. But they must not have taught you much etymology during all of that moaning and groaning.

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Tom, I usually dont speak about the moderators here, but I find that you really take a lot of the stuff said here way too serious. It seems to me that you have very curt things to say, sometimes you are downright rude and in many threads, it seems that you take them over by responding to people who want to get under your skin. They LOVE to see themselves quoted and specially by you!

I know you will 'smite' me for speaking up... I just wanted to say this because is not the first time it has crossed my mind.

Not trying to pick a fight with you... Just my two cents...

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I Am an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Talldrink said:
Tom, I usually dont speak about the moderators here, but I find that you really take a lot of the stuff said here way too serious.
Talldrink: You take my responses waaaaay too seriously. LOL. If some pretender/wannabe who can't speak English ot Spanish correctly wants to challege my French,or Latin, or Malay, so be it. That's just stupid. Doesn't bother me at all. But I do abhor fakes. This guy doesn't know his ... from a ... in the ground, in Latin. And I find it amusing that he wants to start an argument about it - unarmed.

PR: Could you actually answer the question at hand? It's not about my latin, it is about the "Dominican". You have been avoiding the subject. Yes, I know that's all you can do when you don't actually have an answer, but still ...

Tom aka XR I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
Using an anology that XR will actually understand

Of course "the Dominican" can be used as a noun.

Example: XR asked father O'Reilly to go easy on him. "Of course I will," promised the Dominican, "now pass the KY jelly."

Back on track, "The Ukraine" essentially means "the empty", but even Ukrainians now prefer "Ukraine" in English (and, essentially, "Ucrania" in Ukrainian).

Also, "the Dominican Republic" is unique in that it is, I believe, the only country name consisting of an adjective modifying nothing other than a second word indicating a political system. Accordingly, other abbreviations in English are not natural, and a letter abbreviation like in the U.S. would not work because the place is not well-enough known.

So Americans are doing what their ancestors have always done: Turning Spanish adjectives into single-noun placenames, such as: Florida, Nevada, Colorado, Montana

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
MaineGirl said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1753894&partnersite=espn
(3rd paragraph from bottom)

So, should we quit bothering people about calling it "The Dominican"?

I did it until someone "set me straight". Really, does it grate on expat's ears? Do native speakers (Dominicans) care? Will RickToronto have an aneurysm if he hears this one more time?

Tom, I answered the question with MY personal opinion: I said yes, people should be corrected and then I added that non-Dominicans take this subject too personally.

And here you go being so nice to the posters...

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
What?

Talldrink said:
Tom, I answered the question with MY personal opinion: I said yes, people should be corrected and then I added that non-Dominicans take this subject too personally. And here you go being so nice to the posters...
Languages and words are important to me. I happen to study them. That's a crime? I have pointed out here that my sole objection is that this grates on English speakers ears because it is an adjective, indistinguishable from a word describing a citizen of the country in question.The only justifcation received back is that "well ... everybody else does it!" So please, someone, respond with a well thought out, reasoned response as to why my position is not correct. I am still waiting for something other than these juvenile, off topic, replies.

Tom aka XR Character is the willingness to accept responsibility.

Apr 26, 2002
XanaduRanch said:
I am still waiting for something other than these juvenile, off topic, replies.

But how can we mere mortals compete with such mature and on-topic replies as "you stupid cow"?

It's almost time for Tom to start yelling about how nobody is reading his posts correctly. And there must be a Monty Python joke in how impressed he is with his own Latin

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
You'd be more impressed with my Tamil if Babelfish translated it for you ... Ask AZB

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
But how can we mere mortals compete with such mature and on-topic replies as "you stupid cow"? It's almost time for Tom to start yelling about how nobody is reading his posts correctly. And there must be a Monty Python joke in how impressed he is with his own Latin
Once again, please refer to the topic. I know it's difficult for ADD persons to concentrate. But please read the last few posts regarding why the "Dominican" is especially problematic in English and respond to that subject if that is possible for you, since that was the issue, and since your Latin is, at the very best, at the three year old-level.

Tom aka XR To live forever, acquire a chronic disease and take care of it.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
Watch me do my "XR" impression

XanaduRanch said:
Once again, please refer to the topic ... since your Latin is, at the very best, at the three year old-level.

Now Tom, go back and actually read my posts this time. If you try not to focus on personal slurs for just a minute or two, you will even have a chance to understand them.

We are all very pleased with your Latin. It is no doubt superior to most. You get another gold star. But that is not the topic here. You can focus on Latin again just as soon as you come across an ancient Roman with whom to speak.

The rest of us can't help but notice that indo-european languages have evolved and continue to evolve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.