New Decree for All Foreigners

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Unless u have lots of $ to throw around than u should be ok.......

Ramjetspeed

Oct 17, 2013
I wonder how many expats are now considering selling up and leaving, or how many people have changed their minds about coming here to live, or on holiday ?
There is nothing like biting the hand that feeds you!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wonder how many expats are now considering selling up and leaving, or how many people have changed their minds about coming here to live, or on holiday ?
There is nothing like biting the hand that feeds you!

There may be a few who will leave. I don't see a mass exodus.

But tell me, how many countries in the world let you just move there and stay without obtaining some sort of permission/residency? I don't want to hear about places where you can hide in plain sight, I mean places that say "Sure, just come live here, we don't need to know who you are, where you're from or if you're a criminal".

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Now What???

Sounds like all the gringos who have lived in DR without papers better get started on the process. I have an American girlfriend who has lived in SD since 1976, never bothered with residency. A mess for her because I think the residency process still has to begin in your country of origin, but she's lived here almost 40 years, won't be easy for her to file from USA.

If they actually do this deportation, what about the homes some expats own?

I think all of this began about the Haitians, but now that the world is watching it will be applied across the board. They can't get around that.

I've begun collecting the paperwork I need, easier for me as a woman married to a Dominican because I can apply directly for citizenship instead of residency. I would have never bothered otherwise.

I don't see much sense in posting the decree.
It just adds confusion and hype.
As you well know government officials, embassies and DR lawyers do often not know what new regulations mean and how they will be implemented. The same will go for this one, it remains to be seen what the reality will be.
The overstay tax would also have to be abolished to prevent overstays along with the new policy.
Is there an act for that???
At the moment all this is only speculation, implementation reality and consequences remain to be seen.
Residency requirements and overstay taxes are additional sources of income for the government.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
it seems to me it can be read to affect more than just children born here... but also adults who arrived thru an irregular manner but can exhibit ties such as owning property, residing at a fixed address, having a bank account, etc.

it almost appears to be like a u.s. immigration amnesty period... but appearances can be deceiving in final implementation. this is the pretty announcment. the ugly details will no doubt follow.

here is the full text of the decree, full 18 pages.

DECRETO 327-13

also, the announcement (not the decree itself) from the president's website
http://presidencia.gob.do/comunicad...l-decreto-del-plan-nacional-de-regularizaci?n

(google translated for speed)
President Danilo Medina today signed Decree 327-13 that establishes the terms and conditions for the regularization of foreigners in an irregular situation, who are situated in the territory of the Dominican Republic.

The government measure fulfills the mandate of the General Migration Law 285-04 and the provisions of the Constitutional Court judgment TC/0168/13.

The decree is of fundamental importance, as it establishes the criteria used to establish the time of filing, attachment to society and labor and socio-economic conditions of foreigners in the Dominican Republic.

This fulfills the aim of providing the country with a transparent and functional for foreigners in irregular situation modern immigration regulation. This will allow both exercise national sovereignty, such as giving legal protection to foreigners in Dominican territory, regardless of their country of origin.

It was also created to support and expedite the processing of different immigration categories (permanent residence, temporary or non-immigrant) for the benefit of all people should benefit from this regulation and meet the requirements established mechanisms.

Among the criteria that demonstrate a link with the Dominican society, will have children born in the country, having studied in it, knowing how to speak and write Spanish, reside at a fixed address, living with a Dominican and no criminal record.

The decree also establishes the need for foreign labor or show links socioeconomic our country. The criteria designated to access this category are: be satisfied educational degree, own real or personal property, bank accounts or trade references, have a regular job during the time of your stay and exert a certified technician job.

Alien invoking the Plan must make your application within a period of eighteen (18) months from the enactment thereof. Foreigners who are not benefiting from the plan may choose assisted repatriation and failing will be subject to deportation, as provided by law.

Government Bill presented Naturalization

According to the provisions of Decree 327-13, in the coming weeks the government will announce a bill special naturalization, which will be submitted to Congress.

About this provision, the Minister of the Presidency, Gustavo Montalvo said that "in no case be confused with amnesty, as erroneously mentioned. It is simply a bill that our country needed some time and will, together with the regularization plan, establishing clear, consistent and predictable rules, with fair criteria that define who can access the Dominican nationality, who are residents legal and who are visitors. "

Last edited:

Ramjetspeed

Oct 17, 2013
There may be a few who will leave. I don't see a mass exodus.

But tell me, how many countries in the world let you just move there and stay without obtaining some sort of permission/residency? I don't want to hear about places where you can hide in plain sight, I mean places that say "Sure, just come live here, we don't need to know who you are, where you're from or if you're a criminal".
Most of Europe if yr in Europe and most of the Caribbean if you have enough money.

Ramjetspeed

Oct 17, 2013
I don't see much sense in posting the decree.
It just adds confusion and hype.
As you well know government officials, embassies and DR lawyers do often not know what new regulations mean and how they will be implemented. The same will go for this one, it remains to be seen what the reality will be.
The overstay tax would also have to be abolished to prevent overstays along with the new policy.
Is there an act for that???
At the moment all this is only speculation, implementation reality and consequences remain to be seen.
Residency requirements and overstay taxes are additional sources of income for the government.
I fully agree.
Where wil they get enough cash to pay all these solicitors, generals and the rest who are taking the cream off the milk?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I would be delighted to obtain legal residency if it wasn't so difficult and expensive. Not only do you have to pay a lawyer to assist you (unless you are brave enough to try to do it yourself), but the process has to be started in your country of origin. In my case, that's the UK, which will involve a very expensive and difficult journey.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
From what I understand there will be three categories: citizens, legal residence and visitors.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
As drstock points out rightly, I hope the info will trickle down to embassys and such before the 18 months are up.
There again it might take 18 years to trickle down to the PN officers who are to deport me, the illegal visitor, so......

Aug 21, 2007
It is one thing to make a law. It is another to be able to implement it. That will be the hard work. This is a messy country, with people making their own rules, whether it be in government or society. One thing is to decide the implementation process. The next, to train lower level government employees to follow the new procedures and to do so outside the bribe system, then, those affected will need to jump hoops to comply. Finally, the consequences for not complying will need to be applied.

It won't be easy.

I love this country and I commend them on trying to get this right. They keep comparing what they are trying to do to that of first world countries. Making such comparisons could eventually bite them in the you know where.

Let's hope it can go almost as planned.

Lindsey

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Right now there is no order and look at the mess the country is in today. The DR is not making
comparisons to how first world countries are doing it. This is how almost all of the countries
regulate foreigners not just first world countries.

Ramjetspeed

Oct 17, 2013
A few years ago the process wasn't so bad until the government decided that their embassies should also get some of the money on top of what the immigration department gets after the solicitors.
That process also caused some confusion as to what needs apostle. They also get money out of you over several years before you get your full residency.

palito de koko

Nov 23, 2013
A few years ago the process wasn't so bad until the government decided that their embassies should also get some of the money on top of what the immigration department gets after the solicitors.
That process also caused some confusion as to what needs apostle. They also get money out of you over several years before you get your full residency.

I totally agree, it became more expensive and more complicated so probably less people will go for residency

vida

Mar 18, 2010
In the new regulation ,is there a difference made between a Haitian living here illegally ( not born in the DR ) and an expat from any country living here illegally ? Do they both have to return to their country of origin to start the process for residency ?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
"I've begun collecting the paperwork I need, easier for me as a woman married to a Dominican because I can apply directly for citizenship instead of residency. I would have never bothered otherwise".

This is a definite benefit if married to a dom....