NEW DRIVING REGULATIONS

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The only time I can remember any of this being part of the inspection, was when I imported my pickup back in 94, then they walked around it and checked for the first aid kit, extinguisher and triangle, plus because it was a cargo vehicle a rope. think what they were really interested in was the new tires and address. ;)

Jul 28, 2014
Traffic controls tightened

I find this interesting, as per SosuaNews, AMET is going to start "knuckling down" on the rules of the road:
http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=4882&article=1

Most interesting part I saw was "In every vehicle, a first aid kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher should be present."

I don't know a single Gringo with that stuff in their cars?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I don't know a single Dominican with that stuff in their car.
Looks like a gringo money maker to me

Bob K

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
on my recent trip to d.r. I saw a van driving around without a windscreen ....I wonder what the chances are they had the first aid kit,fire extinguisher or the triangle?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Nobody has yet to provide a link to this new law or to prove that's there's any truth to it. It's only been rumours on DR1, facebook, sosua news and other social media. Other rumours that are being spread is that the fine is 5000 pesos, that the fine is 5000 pesos per person in the vehicle and that's it will not be AMET enforcing it. Has anybody see the news law written? Has anybody asked AMET about this?

Also, I personally know nobody who has bought the kit.

Does anybody have facts or just rumours?

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
My Dominican friend who I go to for everything said he read about it in the paper and also heard it on a local news tv channel.  He is going to get them for his car.  He wouldn't spend the money unless he had to so I figure it's more than a rumor.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Nobody has yet to provide a link to this new law or to prove that's there's any truth to it. It's only been rumours on DR1, facebook, sosua news and other social media. Other rumours that are being spread is that the fine is 5000 pesos, that the fine is 5000 pesos per person in the vehicle and that's it will not be AMET enforcing it. Has anybody see the news law written? Has anybody asked AMET about this?

few people on FB bought the kit.although many places are sold out right now due to people buying.........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can't stand the suspense any longer, I just sent an email to AMET myself asking about it.  I guess we'll see . . .

My money is on the answer I get not making any sense at all, though.

My money, if I were a betting man, is that an answer via an email reply is not forthcoming from AMET.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

No facts, I'm afraid, but what I was told by someone trying to sell the items that the fine is RD$5,000 per item missing - i.e. 5,000 for no triangle, 5,000 for no extinguisher etc. However, I'm still gambling on waiting until I hear that someone has been fined for not having the items. Of course, I could be the first.....!

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I can't stand the suspense any longer, I just sent an email to AMET myself asking about it.  I guess we'll see . . .

My money is on the answer I get not making any sense at all, though.
My bet is that AMET never answers your e-mail,lol.

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
yeah, you guys are probably right, why was I thinking AMET is just dying to maintain good PR and answer gringa questions???

they did have a contact email on their site but it may just be cosmetic, they haven't answered yet

I can't wait to get sued for not rendering aid

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Another nice little tool to fine (rip off) and extract money from foreigners, I doubt a single Dominican ever be fined for this, but foreigners will be easy target, when they can't get anything else on you, "Ah, where is your triangle.... !!!?".

I start to think DR is coming up with most of their laws now for gringos - not many Dominicans respect their laws...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
just got an email from them, this is their answer to me enquiring about the stuff:

si señora todas estas herramientas componen el kit de seguridad.

Incredible. AMET responded and confirmed that the items are required! I am shocked and awed.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I purchased a fire extinguisher, tiny first aid kit and a collapsible traffic cone (not a triangle) today for 1500 pesos. They didn't have any vests in stock. The guy at the store said I could probably get away with not having it, but I prefer to be completely within the law. I like cone, but I'll probably get triangle if I can find one.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Last night I spoke with my AMET contact here in Sosua. I showed him a picture of the kit and asked if I needed it. He said that yes I need to buy that stuff, but they are waiting for a phone call before they are to enforce anything. He wasn't aware of a fine. The law has not yet passed and not in affect. This may never happen or perhaps it will. Time will tell, but I'm not wasting any m oney buying this stuff until I have too.