New migration law

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Does anyone know what the new fees will be each year under the new provisional residency law for 2012, since you have to reapply for four years before you can apply for you permanent residency. In other words, rather than paying once for the provisional and then for the permanent, what will the renewal fees be each year under the new law?

Don't be mis-led by the term "Permanent", it's not, it still needs in most cases to be renewed every 2 years.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bottom line is now and has always been, it is best to get Citizenship if you plan on living here permanently. This way they can't screw with you anymore.

santo1

May 1, 2011
Bottom line is now and has always been, it is best to get Citizenship if you plan on living here permanently. This way they can't screw with you anymore.

What is the difference ? cost /renewal ect

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What is the difference ? cost /renewal ect

The difference is that you are a citizen the same as any Dominican born here. The only thing you cannot do is run for President or VP. You can actually run for any other office.

There is no renewal or other fees either. Of course you would pay for Passport renewal the same as you would any place else.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
My permanent residency is about to expire and I would like to renew it. Are the requirements still the same? Did anybody renew his residency lately? Would like to go there with everything required "in hand" to avoid unnecessary travel.

indapipe

Jan 14, 2011
My permanent residency is about to expire and I would like to renew it. Are the requirements still the same? Did anybody renew his residency lately? Would like to go there with everything required "in hand" to avoid unnecessary travel.
I am in a similar situation. My wife and I are Canadians living for the time being in Canada. We lived in DR from 1995 to 2008 and acquired permanent residency. It is set to expire summer 2012. We will be in DR for 2 months Feb/Mar 2012. We have a home in DR and would not like to lose our residency status, especially as you all know, after the very involved process to get it in the first place. We plan to move back at some point in the future. We still spend at least 2-3 months in DR every year. Any advice for me as to whether to renew now or wait until after elections or otherwise? TIA.
Darren

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From a layman's point of view,

it appears that this new law is designed to prohibit exactly what many people want to do OR are doing - namely, carrying residency without actually residing.

Unless you reside once every 6 months, you will not be a resident.
That doesn't seem overly restrictive to me.

Layman's view, just sayin'.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From a layman's point of view,

it appears that this new law is designed to prohibit exactly what many people want to do OR are doing - namely, carrying residency without actually residing.

Unless you reside once every 6 months, you will not be a resident.
That doesn't seem overly restrictive to me.

Layman's view, just sayin'.

I agree, if it means that you can't spend more than 6 months out of the country in any year without prior approval.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am in a similar situation. My wife and I are Canadians living for the time being in Canada. We lived in DR from 1995 to 2008 and acquired permanent residency. It is set to expire summer 2012. We will be in DR for 2 months Feb/Mar 2012. We have a home in DR and would not like to lose our residency status, especially as you all know, after the very involved process to get it in the first place. We plan to move back at some point in the future. We still spend at least 2-3 months in DR every year. Any advice for me as to whether to renew now or wait until after elections or otherwise? TIA.
Darren

indapipe, according to the article no date has been set for implementation, and this change is likely to cause more controversy than some of the others. I'll be surprised if it is implemented and enforced in n ear future. If that is still the situation when you get here, I'd renew and wait and see. Renewal of a permanent residence is not expensive or difficult. It just requires spending a couple of hours at Migracion in Santo Domingo.

Keep in mind that the government has no way to know whether you are here or not unless you show your residency card when you fly in or out. If necessary, play the tourist and pay the entrance fee.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree, if it means that you can't spend more than 6 months out of the country in any year without prior approval.

That is exactly what the new law means. No more than 6 months out of the country at one time or you will lose residency in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That is exactly what the new law means. No more than 6 months out of the country at one time or you will lose residency in the DR.

Where is the problem here?

Makes sense to me.

Other countries insist on a minimum stay == you must be here for however many months.
RD just asks that you revisit every 6 months.

No big deal

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.... Keep in mind that the government has no way to know whether you are here or not unless you show your residency card when you fly in or out. If necessary, play the tourist and pay the entrance fee.

Are you sure about that?

Your passport number is part of your residency renewal.

One year on renewal of my residency they called me into the office and questioned me as to whether I was living here. It was after I had renewed my passport in the States, thus when I came back to the D.R. on the new passport number, they must not have known I returned. At least that is what I concluded.

Don

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are you sure about that?

Your passport number is part of your residency renewal.

One year on renewal of my residency they called me into the office and questioned me as to whether I was living here. It was after I had renewed my passport in the States, thus when I came back to the D.R. on the new passport number, they must not have known I returned. At least that is what I concluded.

Don

No, I'm not sure and you make a good point. I'd forgotten about the passport.

But with respect to implementation, how long do you think it is going to take the government to get such a system of checks functioning?

I'd still renew if I was indapipe if I could renew before the new provision is implemented. He may not be able to renew again unless his situation changes, but I think it is well worth taking a chance on an immediate renewal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just an idea.

Carry the old passport with you. Showing the In/Out stamps.

That way you can prove your entry/exit pattern.

I do this........

Once, b/c of the fouled up way they stamp the passports, they insisted I had overstayed.
I showed them the passport and they couldn't find my entry date so wanted the big fee.

I took my passport, circled the dates and showed them.

Reluctantly, they let me go.

My problem was that my residency was in for renewal and they don't like the letter you carry.

JUST KEEP PUSHING - THEY BACK DOWN

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If you come in as a tourist and while here, renew your passport, you need to provide proof of your last entry, else you pay the maximum fee for overstay. This I know as a friend had his passport stolen and had to get a new one. He needed to prove when he entered the country else pay the larger fees.

I don't know how sophisticated their computer system is, but by saving your airline ticket as proof of entry date and leaving on a new passport number, you would only pay the applicable fees for the time spent here.

Their computer system probably would not be able to connect the dots.........
I doubt they would match on the name and date of birth and related it to a residency card.

Don

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Just for information: I was able last Monday to deposit my permanent residence application without any problems, only issue was that I had to come back the next day to pick up the paper that proofs that I deposited, this might cause a problem for those renewing residences coming from far. Now I have to wait for 3 months and I will see if I will get a permanent residence or if they will change things in between and grant me another year of temporal residence.