New migration law

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Not true. When I killed a thief that tried to rob me the US Consulate came to the Police station. It was Bill Kirkman at the time. He was a non factor anyway. I did fine on my own. But he was there even though I am a dual citizen.

Maybe it is different for US,DR dual nationality but it is certainly true for UK.DR nationality. Herewith quote from UK Foreign Office publication.

Dual nationals
If you are a dual British national in a third country (that is, a country of which you are not a national) and hold a valid British passport, we will offer you our full support.

If you are a dual British national in the country of your other nationality (for example, a dual US-British national in the US), we would not normally offer you support or get involved in dealings between you and the authorities of that state. We may make an exception to this rule if, having looked at the circumstances of the case, we conisder that there is a special humanitarian reason to do so.

Maybe worth checking depending on nationality.

Matilda

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
Yes, it takes one year after the PR card is issued to apply for citizenship. The process is pretty much like applying for permanent residency just that there's a final ENTREVISTA to gauge your knowledge on the country. I'm planning on moving forward with citizenship in september exactly one year into my permanent residency.

Are you sure it takes one year after your permanent residency card is issued? I thought I read somewhere that after being a permanent resident for three years that you could apply for citizenship? Anyone know the URL on this forum with a thread discussing this?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In order to become a Dominican citizen it is necessary to be a child of a Dominican citizen; be married to a Dominican; or to have lived in the country for at least 6 months after acquiring residency, with a total time in the country of at least two years and have a business, have bought real estate or have served in the Dominican Armed Forces.

Please note that the interview is entirely in Spanish.

Matilda

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Are you sure it takes one year after your permanent residency card is issued? I thought I read somewhere that after being a permanent resident for three years that you could apply for citizenship? Anyone know the URL on this forum with a thread discussing this?

My bad. It takes atleast three years to get citizenship. 1yr temp residency, 2yr PR after which you can apply for Cuidadana Dominicana.

JaraChica

Nov 9, 2011
www.squidoo.com
I am getting my residency, I got nervous about residency and tourist changes so I decided to just do it. While technically I guess the new rules apply, nobody down at Immigration knows that yet! No surprise there...

indapipe

Jan 14, 2011
I have to renew permanent for myself and my wife. Since we can appoint an attorney to represent us so that we do not have to be physically present for the process, would I be correct in assuming that I can represent my wife so that she would not have to be present as I renew both at the same time? Thanks.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
In order to become a Dominican citizen it is necessary to be a child of a Dominican citizen; be married to a Dominican; or to have lived in the country for at least 6 months after acquiring residency, with a total time in the country of at least two years and have a business, have bought real estate or have served in the Dominican Armed Forces.

Please note that the interview is entirely in Spanish.

Matilda

About citizenship... I have the Permanent Residency (since 2003), have a dominican born kid here but not married to the mother (together with her though, so I guess that could be arranged if necessary). No criminal record here or in my home country. Could I apply for citizenship and if yes give me an idea what I need...

Thank you in advance

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
About citizenship... I have the Permanent Residency (since 2003), have a dominican born kid here but not married to the mother (together with her though, so I guess that could be arranged if necessary). No criminal record here or in my home country. Could I apply for citizenship and if yes give me an idea what I need...

Thank you in advance

I called the Dominican Embassy in Manhattan last week, I'm married to a Dominican, they told me I need:

Copy of my birth certificate from NYC & Copy of our marriage certificate from NYC - both must be apostiled. Also need professional/approved translations - can be done at Dominican Embassy. [Yes, you need to be married, but if you marry in DR you won't need official translations]

Letter from police department where I live - certified/apostiled.

6 passport photos - 4 front view, 2 side view.

Then I have to go to DR to get application, with my husband, pay fees, take history test [in Spanish].

And then wait......

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012

I understand the following is not enacted yet, but may be enacted in the future and it seems that it will be just another money maker for immigration. For a nice fee they will arrange for permission so you can be out of the country for over six months at a time. You need to read between the lines:

New travel restrictions for foreign nationals. Visa nationals who have a pending application for a temporary or permanent residence permit will need to request a re-entry permit before traveling outside the Dominican Republic. All temporary or permanent residents, regardless of nationality, will be limited to a maximum of six-month stay abroad during their period of residence in the Dominican Republic, unless they can show extraordinary circumstances and receive approval from immigration authorities.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
all temporary or permanent residents, regardless of nationality, will be limited to a maximum of six-month stay abroad during their period of residence in the dominican republic, unless they can show extraordinary circumstances and receive approval from immigration authorities.

wow !!!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I suppose what that is saying is, look gringo/a, if you're going to live here, then live here, if not then go elsewhere, but I'm not having this 'in and out' at free will when ever it suits you. This is our country, our rules, like it or lump it.

Not unlike what my father said to me at 17, look son, stay if your gunna stay, or leave, but where not having you use this house like a hotel, our house, our rules.

Sound familiar?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I think THEY might be very disapointed by what people will choose to do over this. It goes both ways...you don't want us in your country, no problem...see ya! The next 6 months should be interesting....I still say nothing will come of this.

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
These six months rules only have to do with people WHO ARE IN THE PROCESS OF HAVING THEIR RESIDENCY ISSUED. SEE BELOW...

On October 19th, 2011, the President of the Dominican Republic passed the Decree that establishes the regulations for the Immigration Law, which is applicable since last June. In this sense foreigners in the process of issuing temporary or permanent residence can not leave the country for more than six months without good cause, otherwise the procedure must start again from scratch. To leave the country while the application is being processed, the applicant must request a re-entry permit from the DGM for a period of up to six months. Similarly, you must obtain a re-entry permit before leaving the country, the resident who envisaged that the residence card expires while you are abroad. In the latter case, the duration of re-entry permit to start from the date of expiry of the residence card.

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
I understand these new changes will not affect those who already have permanent residency since you will not be in the process of having your residency issued (see post above). In the future you will only need to get a new card. I would recommend when your card is expired that you try to get the four year permanent residency card instead of the two year one.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I understand these new changes will not affect those who already have permanent residency since you will not be in the process of having your residency issued (see post above). In the future you will only need to get a new card. I would recommend when your card is expired that you try to get the four year permanent residency card instead of the two year one.

I believe you can only get more than 2 years if you have had residency for 10 years or more. At least that is how it was when i renewed mine.