New migration law

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
How does the new law affect a sitation like this:
We have permanent residency which expired recently. Due to various reasons it was not possible to travel to the D.R. before the expiration date. We arrived in the country a few days after.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How does the new law affect a sitation like this:
We have permanent residency which expired recently. Due to various reasons it was not possible to travel to the D.R. before the expiration date. We arrived in the country a few days after.

Normally you would go to Migracion in Santo Domingo and pay a late renewal fee in addition to the normal fee. I would recommend doing this as soon as possible. As for the new law kicking in, you may not yet be effected, but that requires a legal response that I cannot provide.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Normally you would go to Migracion in Santo Domingo and pay a late renewal fee in addition to the normal fee. I would recommend doing this as soon as possible.

I agree. The new law is not yet it being implemented; this is the best time to renew.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi, apparently, instead of going for residency, it's possible to apply for the DR citizenship. And then get a DR passport.
But I have a few questions:
. advantages et inconveniences of citenzenship compared to residency?
. If one gets the DR passport, can he still keep his native citizenship: is it possible to have a double citizenship, DR and native?
:)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Does anyone know the implications of the new migration law coming in effect as per 1st of January? Heard things about having to apply for a temporary residence for 5 times to be able to apply forth permanent one and it seems one has to deposit a guarantee as well. Would everything change in migration right from next week on? I'm in the middle of the process to get my permanent residence. Trying to deposit all the papers before Friday, but I might not make it and have to deposit next week. Would this mean everything changes for my application?

Read the entire thread. Your questions have been discussed in the previous posts.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hi, apparently, instead of going for residency, it's possible to apply for the DR citizenship. And then get a DR passport.
But I have a few questions:
. advantages et inconveniences of citenzenship compared to residency?
. If one gets the DR passport, can he still keep his native citizenship: is it possible to have a double citizenship, DR and native?
:)

Pretty sure you need Permanent Residence to apply for Citizenship. No problem having Dual citizenship for most countries.

As for advantages, just read this thread for one of them. If you had citizenship none of this would ever matter to you. There are several others, and I cannot think of one disadvantage to having dual citizenship.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I cannot think of one disadvantage to having dual citizenship.

The only disadvantage is that if you had a problem here you would be dealt with by the Dominican authorities and your own embassy would not step in to help. If you have dual citizenship then it is the country you are in (assuming it is one you are a citizen of) that takes responsibility.

Matilda

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Pretty sure you need Permanent Residence to apply for Citizenship. No problem having Dual citizenship for most countries.

As for advantages, just read this thread for one of them. If you had citizenship none of this would ever matter to you. There are several others, and I cannot think of one disadvantage to having dual citizenship.

Yes, it takes one year after the PR card is issued to apply for citizenship. The process is pretty much like applying for permanent residency just that there's a final ENTREVISTA to gauge your knowledge on the country. I'm planning on moving forward with citizenship in september exactly one year into my permanent residency.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only disadvantage is that if you had a problem here you would be dealt with by the Dominican authorities and your own embassy would not step in to help. If you have dual citizenship then it is the country you are in (assuming it is one you are a citizen of) that takes responsibility.

Matilda

Not true. When I killed a thief that tried to rob me the US Consulate came to the Police station. It was Bill Kirkman at the time. He was a non factor anyway. I did fine on my own. But he was there even though I am a dual citizen.

indapipe

Jan 14, 2011
Not true. When I killed a thief that tried to rob me ...
Haha...you say that so casually like it's something you do on a regular basis--"When I put my shoes on..." But I know it's more likely to happen in DR. Just caught me off guard. Fortunately I haven't had to kill anyone yet.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not particularly relevant to this conversation but do you have to have your medical done by a certain medical doctor or doctors and can you set up this appointment yourself? I will be down in February and want to start the process but will only be there for a week( I have my police report and birth Certificate legalized at the consulate in Toronto) and can't return until May/June due to work commitments.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
It has to be done at the Immigration office. They have their own doctors.

Not particularly relevant to this conversation but do you have to have your medical done by a certain medical doctor or doctors and can you set up this appointment yourself? I will be down in February and want to start the process but will only be there for a week( I have my police report and birth Certificate legalized at the consulate in Toronto) and can't return until May/June due to work commitments.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
You can just show up, pay the fees at the counter. Submit the receipt at the doctor's office and wait for their call. I think before that you had to get your application authorized at the front desk. It will take half a day. Then you have to go for X-Ray behind the building in a container office.

Thank you. Do you need an appointment or just show up?