New Post 2011-2012 Haitians In Cabarete and Sosua, A Problem? And the solution.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
if he crossed border illegally then he is ILLEGAL no other way around it. any kids he has here are ILLEGAL, and should be deported and enter the country LEGALLY no other wayaround it

Does this apply to people who over stay the tourist card? If so you are contending with a very very high percentage of foreigners in the country.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
It has been getting out of control since you were in short pants, son.

Why have you only noticed and started whining about it in 2011?

Siempre que uno regresa a RD esta mas lleno y sin control. La gente se tienen que despertar y aceptar que en un futuro RD no va aguantar tanta gente... Hay problema de luz y agua y la puerta esta abierta para sigan entrando.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Does this apply to people who over stay the tourist card? If so you are contending with a very very high percentage of foreigners in the country.
Of course it does. If someone overstays their tourist card and gets involved in some bad luck or situations, it's hell to pay and they should get the boot.

Mar 1, 2009
I for one will no longer abide by my fellow DR1 member Bob Saunder's being called a racist or hater. This man ain't no racist, he is married to a Dominicana sister and loves the Dominican people. He has lived amongst them for many years and he is a kind man, un hombre serio. If you was in front of me and said that about my boy, BSaunders, I would slap you upside the head and shut your punk self up fool. It's so easy to denigrate a white person, it's disgusting and your reverse racism needs to stop.

Too many people of one group is always a burden. If you got a nightclub set up for 100 people and 150 show up, the firemarshal is shutting you down. E'rbody get's mad at the firemarshal but the man has done his job.

Pedrochemical usually you make sense but your wrong man, the article doesn't say anything racist. So what if it mentions Haitians. They are the most visible group causing problems, so they have to be singled out. GTFOH.
Illegal is illegal is illegal.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
You are now pronounced Jedi!!!!! Lando

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R1LJLfU3Njg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, The article I thought spoke poorly of Haitians, as it grouped all Haitians into one lump sum. Many Haitians are legal here and benefit the society. I wouldn't necessarily label it racist. Juan wants to help Dominican society, and he is. I applaud him for that.

Illegal aliens are illegal in any country, however many times the issue REALLY is one of morality, not illegality.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Of course it does. If someone overstays their tourist card and gets involved in some bad luck or situations, it's hell to pay and they should get the boot.

No, I am asking if the feeling is so strong for these people to leave? In reality the amount of people who are in the country for extended time and contributing are many. I would put my life on it that everyone on this board has sat down and had a drink and even has friends who are in the country on extended stay, without Visa.

How can feeling be so strong when the consequence for staying over your time is a tiny exit tax and a pat on the back and off you go, the fines are even stated in order of length of stay. How does that work if it so illegal, 'oh, you are RD500 illegal, you are RD2,000 illegal, you have been here RD5000 of illegal time, please come back soon, you are always welcome. I can't feel as strongly as some of you on this, it is a mockery of the word illegal (or maybe that is the people who associate this word with this given exit tax for extended stay, I know of no one who has ever come a cropper, and I know of people who have had run ins with the police, had docs checked while driving, I even know of people arrested taken to court and then passed on their way once all has been cleared, it is a farce to claim such heat on this matter)

Last edited:

latitude19

May 29, 2011
In the DR or the US, the wealthy almost always win. Have wealth, then welcome. Not fair, yet practical- but not admirable.

No, I am asking if the feeling is so strong for these people to leave? In reality the amount of people who are in the country for extended time and contributing are many. I would put my life on it that everyone on this board has sat down and had a drink and even has friends who are in the country on extended stay, without Visa.

How can feeling be so strong when the consequence for staying over your time is a tiny exit tax and a pat on the back and off you go, the fines are even stated in order of length of stay. How does that work if it so illegal, 'oh, you are RD500 illegal, you are RD2,000 illegal, you have been here RD5000 of illegal time, please come back soon, you are always welcome. I can't feel as strongly as some of you on this, it is a mockery of the word illegal.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I for one will no longer abide by my fellow DR1 member Bob Saunder's being called a racist or hater. This man ain't no racist, he is married to a Dominicana sister and loves the Dominican people. He has lived amongst them for many years and he is a kind man, un hombre serio. If you was in front of me and said that about my boy, BSaunders, I would slap you upside the head and shut your punk self up fool. It's so easy to denigrate a white person, it's disgusting and your reverse racism needs to stop.

Too many people of one group is always a burden. If you got a nightclub set up for 100 people and 150 show up, the firemarshal is shutting you down. E'rbody get's mad at the firemarshal but the man has done his job.

Pedrochemical usually you make sense but your wrong man, the article doesn't say anything racist. So what if it mentions Haitians. They are the most visible group causing problems, so they have to be singled out. GTFOH.
Illegal is illegal is illegal.
Word, krunk, honto.

I know bob saunders. He is one guy you want in your foxhole. If all mankind was bob sainders there WOULD be Peace on Earth.

There is no more of a stand-up guy that he...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

How can feeling be so strong when the consequence for staying over your time is a tiny exit tax and a pat on the back and off you go, the fines are even stated in order of length of stay. How does that work if it so illegal, 'oh, you are RD500 illegal, you are RD2,000 illegal, you have been here RD5000 of illegal time, please come back soon, you are always welcome. I can't feel as strongly as some of you on this, it is a mockery of the word illegal (or maybe that is the people who associate this word with this given exit tax for extended stay, I know of no one who has ever come a cropper, and I know of people who have had run ins with the police, had docs checked while driving, I even know of people arrested taken to court and then passed on their way once all has been cleared, it is a farce to claim such heat on this matter)
When YOU become President, then YOU can do something about it.

Kelu

Aug 21, 2011
The problem I see is...

You can't help them...they are like locust...they consumed the natural and other resources of their 1/3 of an island and now they are consuming DR's. Kind of like Independence Day but in slow motion. They cut a tree and use it as fuel to cook but they won't plant a new one. They don't practice birth control...and use many of the babies to beg on the streets.

I blame it all on the French who left them abandoned (or ran away in fright, not sure) in a semi savage state without no real religion (Voodu anyone?) or cultural formation. You would expect that in a couple of hundred years they would have done some progress yet they have not. Small percentage is educated.

The DR/Haiti situation can not be compared to the US/Mexico one. US is a huge country that benefits from Mexican labor (the benefits outwaights the cost). DR is small, does not have the resources and no longer has a large sugar industry in need of labor. Hopefully if the Hatians go home, Dominicans will start building quality construction again by themselves.

Dominicans think they are better because we are. Our country is doing much better, even with its many issues. We have a infrastructure and tourism industry. Haiti has nothing. Lots of big companies want to do business in DR, not many in Haiti. Any given night we may even have electricity and we can withstand a moderate hurricane without the peace corps, Red Cross and Docs Without Borders having to come over.
So I fail to see why some think we need to unify and have the nation carry this dead weight on its shoulders. They should go home and rebuilt Haiti. DR could keep the few that are actually educated but then again, let's no be egoist: they are needed in their own country.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
When YOU become President, then YOU can do something about it.

I wouldn't change a thing, I think it is quite a good system the way it is (being, on paper it is illegal, so is dropping cigaret ends in the street in Europe, guess what).

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Even snazzier comeback but it misses the mark on several counts.

If someone calculated in $$$ how much corruption by politicians costs the country vs. how much the illegal Haitians cost the country (after factoring in the positive effects in keeping several major sectors of the Dominican economy afloat and the residents of many apartment buildings safe, their houses clean, their gardens manicured, their kids' bottoms wiped...) I'm pretty sure what the result would be.

Having said that I accept that Dominicans have a case for being concerned and for demanding that the international community help bear the burden on the health service specifically, and maintain that if the will was there, the solution I propose is possible.

(a) No vacation, no dollars, sorry. I live and work in the DR, amongst Dominicans, and have done for 12 years. Part of my work has been with poor Dominicans in the southwest of the country. My family and I are actively involved in fundraising for local kids here in the east coast and have raised and donated significant sums of money, and to children and young people in the SW too.
A small portion of that was raised after earlier this year my 11-year old son forfeited his birthday gifts and asked the guests to his party to donate some money instead, to cover a poor teenager's scholarship to the local Polit?cnico in Ver?n.
It's likely that some Dominico-Haitian children and young people benefit too, but most of the beneficiaries are Dominican.

(b) Although based in SD, I spent a lot of time working in Haiti (between the years 1996-2006) for a major development organisation. That took me deep into places that no tourist ever sees. For a number of reasons I haven't been able to go back, but I continue supporting in a number of ways from where I am now.

You're so wrong on so many levels, but no matter how much I try to explain this, it won?t make a difference, because after all, your mind is already made up. I?ll give you and others on this forum some firsthand knowledge as to what the Haitians truly cost the DR and its tax payers.

1) The corrupt Dominican government (as you state) planted more than two million trees on the border with Haiti last year. This is done to offset the constant cutting of trees by the charcoal producers from the Haitian side. Was this part of your calculation? I think not.

2) The Dominican government paid well over 6,000 man hours of work in trying to control the cholera virus from spreading throughout the Island by way of the Haitian border. Was this in your calculations? Doubtful!

3) How about the transportation, housing and feeding of each and every soldier stationed at the border with Haiti, was this in your calculations? No lo creo.

These tasks are funded by every Dominican on this Island each and every day, so next time you start doing your thwarted calculations by simply using dollar signs ?$$$? to indicate amounts unknown to you, please ask first, this way you won?t look so uninformed in front of others.

Those tasks paid by Dominican tax payers, overwhelmingly outweigh any contribution by illegal Haitians to this side of the Island. So forget about trying to compare the benefits produced by illegal Haitian to the colossal amount paid by tax payer, because guess what? No amount of baby ass wiping, no amount of cleaning house, and certainly no amount of lawn care will come close to the amount paid by me ?Joe Tax Payer? to control illegal Haitians, the disease they bring with them and to replace the trees they cut down.

One more thing, it?s really easy to sit in front of your computer, and think you actually know what?s going on simply because you came to the DR once or twice, big deal, or because you?ve helped a few Dominicans children now and then, SO WHAT? This does not give you sufficient insight to understand what?s really at stake.

Some of you Haitian proponents (you included) will sit there and write junk all day long on how racist Dominicans are, or the way we treat Haitians. BUT not one of you ever answers the question as to why Dominicans have to carry the full load of EACH AND EVERY Haitian calamity. Yeah you?ll try and convince us into seeing things your way, while never once actually seeing the bigger picture. This is, WE CAN?T CARRY THE FULL LOAD FOR EVER BECAUSE IT COST US CASH.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What a joke - you clearly didn't bother to read my post.
"Visited the DR once or twice?"
"Helped a few Dominican children now and then?"

And where did I calling Dominicans racist? I was acknowledging there is a problem and suggesting a realistic solution, based on my experience of international donors and what they are likely to fund.

I repeat - this is something the DR government should consider - it would also help call attention to the problem at an international level.

My criticism was focused on something that many Dominicans who care about the country and its future concur with - that the harm done by corruption is the real enemy of the country's development, and in any case corruption is partly to blame for the influx of illegals, like those border guards you mentioned.

I'm as much a Dominican proponent as I am a Haitian proponent: I don't really get nationalism, but want the best for both peoples, all peoples.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
What a joke - you clearly didn't bother to read my post.
"Visited the DR once or twice?"
"Helped a few Dominican children now and then?"

The joke is on you, because it appears as though you were the one that didn't read my post. Allow me to highlight my own post for you; take a look see at where I state ?I?ll give you AND OTHERS on this forum some firsthand knowledge? You may very well have been in the country for twelve years, big ffing deal, my comment was directed at you and to all your cohorts as well. Yes Chismosa, I mean Chirimoya the same cohorts that have come to the DR ?once or twice? and automatically think they have their finger on the pulse of what truly ills us. My comment was directed at all you Haitian proponents.

And where did I calling Dominicans racist?

To the best of my knowledge you haven?t called us racist, but once again, my comment was directed at more than one Haitian proponent. I?m sure you?re well aware that there are other Haitian proponents calling us racist. STOP PRETENDING YOU HAVEN?T HEARD THE WORD USED ON US BEFORE!

I was acknowledging there is a problem and suggesting a realistic solution, based on my experience of international donors and what they are likely to fund.

Guess what? What you call a ?realistic solution? is NO SOLUTION WHAT SO EVER. If there was a single solution to solve Haiti?s problem, someone much smarter than you would have come up with it long ago. So no, there isn?t one pill solves all for Haiti?s problems.

I repeat - this is something the DR government should consider - it would also help call attention to the problem at an international level.

What you?re repeating is more of the same, ?Dominicans solve Haiti?s problems? Let the Haitians call attention on their own problem. Or you could become the next Sonia Pierre, and slander our name all over international media. It certainly worked wonders for her finances, I?m sure it would work wonders for you as well.

My criticism was focused on something that many Dominicans who care about the country and its future concur with ?

Who are these people? What are their names? Where could I get in touch with them? Please don?t say the MUDHA group.

that the harm done by corruption is the real enemy of the country's development, and in any case corruption is partly to blame for the influx of illegal?s, like those border guards you mentioned.

If this were 100% true, then we would be in the same predicament as the Haitians. Once again, STOP acting like you understand our problems.

I'm as much a Dominican proponent as I am a Haitian proponent: I don't really get nationalism, but want the best for both peoples, all peoples.

Good for you, keep repeating it over and over, maybe then you will believe what you?re saying.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Last I heard, Chirimoya has done a lot of high level work in Haiti over the years for some major aid agencies. Along with co-authoring more than one book that is Dominican culture related, married to a well known Dominican and lived here for a number of years. You want me to go on?

She will not blow her own trumpet, but I have no qualms about doing so.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
You can't help them...they are like locust...they consumed the natural and other resources of their 1/3 of an island and now they are consuming DR's. Kind of like Independence Day but in slow motion. They cut a tree and use it as fuel to cook but they won't plant a new one. They don't practice birth control...and use many of the babies to beg on the streets.

I blame it all on the French who left them abandoned (or ran away in fright, not sure) in a semi savage state without no real religion (Voodu anyone?) or cultural formation. You would expect that in a couple of hundred years they would have done some progress yet they have not. Small percentage is educated.

The DR/Haiti situation can not be compared to the US/Mexico one. US is a huge country that benefits from Mexican labor (the benefits outwaights the cost). DR is small, does not have the resources and no longer has a large sugar industry in need of labor. Hopefully if the Hatians go home, Dominicans will start building quality construction again by themselves.

Dominicans think they are better because we are. Our country is doing much better, even with its many issues. We have a infrastructure and tourism industry. Haiti has nothing. Lots of big companies want to do business in DR, not many in Haiti. Any given night we may even have electricity and we can withstand a moderate hurricane without the peace corps, Red Cross and Docs Without Borders having to come over.
So I fail to see why some think we need to unify and have the nation carry this dead weight on its shoulders. They should go home and rebuilt Haiti. DR could keep the few that are actually educated but then again, let's no be egoist: they are needed in their own country.
Tell me your joking! All the **** you are talking about Haitians ,my father's family in Puerto Rico say the same about Dominicans. The difference PR has the resources to send Dominicans back very quickly. I have a million dollar question why are there way more foreign men married to Dominican women in DR then Boricuas in PR.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
I have kind-of a hard job. Not impossible or anything, but challenging. I work on a team of pretty smart people from literally all around the world (which leads to interesting discussions sometimes), and we are responsible, in short, for ?solving problems?. We work on problems for days, weeks, months, but the problems, for the most part, are solvable, or at least can be managed by designing new processes.

Unfortunately this whole Haiti deal is clearly not solvable. In fact it doesn?t even appear to be manageable. It is, however, incredibly sad though.

Man.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Tell me your joking! All the **** you are talking about Haitians ,my father's family in Puerto Rico say the same about Dominicans. The difference PR has the resources to send Dominicans back very quickly. I have a million dollar question why are there way more foreign men married to Dominican women in DR then Boricuas in PR.

If the Boricuas didn't have that big daddy called the US federal government to fall back to I'm dead certain the would be more Boricua women married to foreigners, dear sir. By the same token, sir, I have a million dollar question for you: Why are there more Boricuas out of PR than Dominicans out of the DR? and no, being a colony of the US doesn't cut it quite completely.

Last edited:

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I'm dead certain the would be more Boricua women married to foreigners, :

I meant "there would be". Besides, JMB, we have yet to see you posting sources backing up your assertion about Dominican women being more married to foreign men vis-a-vis Boricuan women. Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited: