New Post 2011-2012 Haitians In Cabarete and Sosua, A Problem? And the solution.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
As an Accountant, I have done taxes (US) for illegals for a long time. They are the first ones that want to be in the system!!!!

Just as an FYI. These individuals DO HAVE valid TINs for tax purposes. :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Educated guess: Most are in the informal economy anyway, and earn below the minimum threshold for income tax, but they would pay ITBIS (sales tax).

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
What percentage of illegal imigrants in the DR would you estimate pay taxes? How about in the US?

They pay "poverty taxes". You want to round up illegals? Hang around a pawn shop, Western Union or check cashing joint.

......all over the World.

America

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
is anyone complaining about illegal females ? don't they boost the economy ? women will work to take care of their families.

whats the percentage of women deportees ?

Last edited:

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
is anyone complaining about illegal females ? don't they boost the economy ? women will work to take care of their families.

whats the percentage of women deportees ?

The majority of the Haitian inmigrants here seem to be male, specifically of the 15-30 years old segment. Although I certainly have noted an increase in the number of females after the earthquake, specially among the elderly.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
:paranoid:Wow, two threads in "Let's blame Haitians for all our woes" mode.

As was said in earlier posts, you really can substitute "Haitian" for "Mexican" and "DR" for "American," and these threads sound like a typical night on Fox News.

So far, my favorite comments have been of the "I'm not racist because I married/have a relationship with/randomly screw a Dominican, but I really hate Haitians, especially the ones who are as black as the blacks I hated back home. But I'm not a racist." lol.

That said, I'm African-American, and hate Haitians as well. That dark skin is just so...ooky.:paranoid::paranoid::paranoid:

Anyway, I'd happily challenge any person on this blog to find a Dominican (or even better, a know-it-all expat) to work 12+ hours a day, 6+ days a week on a years-long construction project for 300 pesos (about 8 bux) a day.

It's like finding white folks who complain that immigrants take all the jobs, despite the fact they have no interest whatsoever in picking grapes or melons from sun up to sundown. It's all about the principal...er, I mean, "principle," right?

Here comes the part where some expat talks about how hard he worked in his first world country and how he used his brain instead of his head, and now can sit and complain about other people willing to do hard work.

The simple fact is most countries - including the DR - are utterly reliant on cheap labor to operate. Yes, being illegal is less preferable to legal, and yes, the rule of law should be obeyed. But let's not act like the vast majority of illegals work jobs no one wants to work and spend money in our struggling economies to a greater extent than they extract services. After all, lest we forget, most came to work.

I mean, If I were seeking better benefits and more respect, I'd keep on walking to Canada if I were an illegal. But that's me. :glasses::glasses:

But let's get rid of 'em all, regardless of the fact that 1) most just want to work, and 2) those corporations Fox News types are in love with tend to benefit the most from their labor (Monsanto, anyone)? At least until your meal goes up dramatically, or the costs of buying/managing your hours increases, or a million other things that you come to rely on suddenly jumps in price because you're so durned principled.

Then, I imagine we'll start to complain over corporate greed, or taxes, or whatever.

The color of your skin has nothing to do with being legal, illegal, liberal or conservative; however, being racist has more to do with how you were raised. The hard work you mention is true all over the world regardless of color. The less educated you are, and the lower your socio economic status from your country of origin, the lower the wage you will receive in your new country. If you entered a country illegally, as I've mentioned before, you have automatically relegated yourself to the underclass and are more subject to exploitation out of fear of being deported.

The inherent racism in your post is obvious (It's like finding white folks who complain that immigrants take all the jobs). People of all colors complain about that. It is most loudly heard, for example, in Miami, where black Americans complain about black Haitians taking their jobs. Now, is that racism? Hardly. A lot of people call it that though, but it is a classic example of immigrants taking jobs and receiving lower wages for the same work that was previously held by citizens who received a higher wage before the immigrants came.

Illegal immigration to any country undercuts wages of legal working people because the illegals are more easily exploited, especially among their own ethnicity. I could give you examples of that too if you like.

For now, I will leave you with an article from 1989 to read. Please take note of what a black psychologist said about black Haitians and black Americans...it is astounding.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/19/us/miami-s-new-ethnic-conflict-haitians-vs-american-blacks.html

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
things are a lot different in 2011 than in 1989. haitians in miami have found a new american dream, gangs.
down the road haitian gangs will become a problem in the DR just like in Miami. get ready !!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
there's two questions that need to be answered.

1. what do you do with the Haitians that are already there ? deport them or give them status ?
2. how do you prevent others from coming in ? build a fence acrosss the border and station troops there ?

obviously the US doesnt have an answer. let's look at Germany, Vietnam and Korea. how were they so successful ?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, 1. Guest worker registration with biometrics with a grace period and via outreach through churches, advocacy groups, and publicity. Then strict deportation = no return for willful failure to register AND most importantly heavy fines of employers.
2. Interdiction patrols with sufficient entry points and a policy of registration unless wanted by authorities or previous unlawful entries.