New Post 2011-2012 Haitians In Cabarete and Sosua, A Problem? And the solution.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
"Those who come hither are generally of the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation…and as few of the English understand the German Language, and so cannot address them either from the Press or Pulpit, ’tis almost impossible to remove any prejudices they once entertain…Not being used to Liberty, they know not how to make a modest use of it…I remember when they modestly declined intermeddling in our Elections, but now they come in droves, and carry all before them, except in one or two Counties...In short unless the stream of their importation could be turned from this to other colonies, as you very judiciously propose, they will soon so out number us, that all the advantages we have will not in My Opinion be able to preserve our language, and even our Government will become precarious."

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
BTW that quote is from Benjamin Franklin when he was referring to "swarthy" immigrants, who were Germans who make up the largest "white" segment of the United States population. Please consider these facts in forming your opinions. Constitution of Haiti (ratified 1987) A person born in Haiti does not automatically receive citizenship. A child, regardless of where they are born, is considered Haitian if either their mother or father is a native-born citizen of Haiti. "Dual Haitian and foreign nationality is in no case permitted." The constitution also automatically negates Haitian citizenship with the acquisition of foreign citizenship. A child with Haitian parents born outside of Haiti may dually acquire the citizenship of their birth country. At the age of eighteen, the child must renounce one of their nationalities. What I think needs to be done is for those foreign persons meeting the criteria established by the Dominican people through their government to be photographed, fingerprinted, and biometric data recorded and issued an ID as an extended visa type of document as is currently done for all those students who attend college here. A person in a country without having a known identity is anonymous and therefore much more likely to feel that they can do what they want such as breaking laws or social norms because they are not part of nor responsible to the community.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
NakeS first of all I was addressing post 111Kelu. I had no problem with the post until she said Dominicans are better then Haitians. One time when I was visiting my daughter in SD I heard my wife uncle call Haitians "dirty" ever since that day I have zero respect for him. The funny thing I hear Dominicans say Haitians are ugly, lazy, stupid, and many times they talk about how dark the Haitians are that's why Dominicans hate to be in the sun afraid of being mistaken for being Haitians. Puerto Rico has its problems like any other country, but the lack of respect for a group of people because they are poor and look a LITTLE different that is one sickness PR wants no part of.
Second the question about the women very easy is no need to GOOGLE any thing or search the web do your own research. Go hop on a AA eagle or take a ferry to PR. Go to Ponce have a seat in Plaza Las Delicias, take a look a Parque de Bombas, and after you get your feet wet step to a beautiful PRican women and try your luck. No luck try Caguas nothing, try Humacoa. Now with that same approach go to La Vega, Azua, then to Santiago or Moca and tell me you don't have a greater chance finding your long lost LOVE!!!

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
this all goes to prove that basically people cant get along for an extended period of time and will wind up finding some reason to hate almost anyone

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
this all goes to prove that basically people cant get along for an extended period of time and will wind up finding some reason to hate almost anyone
That has always been the flaw of humanity...and doubtful will ever change.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Second the question about the women very easy is no need to GOOGLE any thing or search the web do your own research. Go hop on a AA eagle or take a ferry to PR. Go to Ponce have a seat in Plaza Las Delicias, take a look a Parque de Bombas, and after you get your feet wet step to a beautiful PRican women and try your luck. No luck try Caguas nothing, try Humacoa. Now with that same approach go to La Vega, Azua, then to Santiago or Moca and tell me you don't have a greater chance finding your long lost LOVE!!!

If the DR had the kind of financial help on the part of the US gov that people on that island have, things would be very different here, I assure you. As we would say over here "as? cualquiera gana". Until both places are competing in equality of conditions, then please keep your PR crap to yourself, pretty please.

As things stands, I think that we have done a wonderful job with the little we have, considering the fact that this country is making the work of two on this island right now.

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I knew you were white by your words you did not need to tell me. Being black, brown,red,or yellow has nothing to do with your shade of color,but what is in the inside. I have a aunt from PR on my father side who is confused for being white, but she will snatch your throat out if you call her a white woman. P.S. a dead give a way that you old school minded white person a rug can be Oriental not people the term you are referring to is ASIAN people.

So, you have Zero respect for someone calling a Haitian dirty, then you brag about how your PR aunt on your father's side would snatch anyone's throat that would call her white? I don't see you saying you have no respect for your aunt snatching people's throat for calling her white.

JMB773
NakeS first of all I was addressing post 111Kelu. I had no problem with the post until she said Dominicans are better then Haitians. One time when I was visiting my daughter in SD I heard my wife uncle call Haitians "dirty" ever since that day I have zero respect for him. The funny thing I hear Dominicans say Haitians are ugly, lazy, stupid, and many times they talk about how dark the Haitians are that's why Dominicans hate to be in the sun afraid of being mistaken for being Haitians. Puerto Rico has its problems like any other country, but the lack of respect for a group of people because they are poor and look a LITTLE different that is one sickness PR wants no part of.
Second the question about the women very easy is no need to GOOGLE any thing or search the web do your own research. Go hop on a AA eagle or take a ferry to PR. Go to Ponce have a seat in Plaza Las Delicias, take a look a Parque de Bombas, and after you get your feet wet step to a beautiful PRican women and try your luck. No luck try Caguas nothing, try Humacoa. Now with that same approach go to La Vega, Azua, then to Santiago or Moca and tell me you don't have a greater chance finding your long lost LOVE!!! [/QUOTE

I don't know where you find that dominicans are supposedly affraid of the sun so that they wouldn't be confused with as haitians, I am dominican and I have never been affraid of the sun nor have I evet met a dominican affraid to be under the sun. If that was the case the entire population men, women and children would be carrying umbrellas even to bed. Plus in general you can tell the difference between dominicans and haitians even if dominicans were charred under the sun 40 days straight.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I have a aunt from <acronym title="Page Ranking">PR</acronym> on my father side who is confused for being white, but she will snatch your throat out if you call her a white woman

seems a little drastic

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006

light-skin vs dark-skin exits in PR just like in the DR. look on TV who do you see ? like white PR's. go to burger king and who do you see ? dark skin.

ive been to san juan, ponce and mayaguez. picking up women is easy in PR. respect them and dont treat them like hookers and you are in. who lied to you ? you must be Haitian-looking :ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Last I heard, Chirimoya has done a lot of high level work in Haiti over the years for some major aid agencies. Along with co-authoring more than one book that is Dominican culture related, married to a well known Dominican and lived here for a number of years. You want me to go on?

She will not blow her own trumpet, but I have no qualms about doing so.

Thanks Robert. And that would be major aid agencies in the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Taino's poorly targeted attack on a foreigner like me, a dominicana por adopci?n, pales into insignificance compared to Pichardo who accused a fellow Dominican poster of not being Dominican because of his more balanced stance on the Haitian issue. Luckily for me most of my Dominican friends and family are more like suarezn and ExtremeR than Taino808 and Pichardo.:)

Kelu

Aug 21, 2011
Tell me your joking! All the **** you are talking about Haitians ,my father's family in Puerto Rico say the same about Dominicans. The difference PR has the resources to send Dominicans back very quickly. I have a million dollar question why are there way more foreign men married to Dominican women in DR then Boricuas in PR.

I had no clue why you are talking all the BS or mixing PR with this, it has nothing to do with the situation between DR and Haiti. In any case, I will repeat it again:

Dominicans are better than Haitians. The reason is simple: even with our issues, we move forward. They are a burden and DR would be much better without any of then.

I always had and will have a dislike for the Haitians. Even after almost 200 years I will never forgive them for the unnecessary invasion. Now we are considered racist but they were racist first. Haiti's abuse on DR when they had the power is well documented in the history books and is not nearly comparable with the "abuse" they receive today (I guess paid jobs, basic medical care and trees to cut and burn are considered abuse nowdays).

I wish they all vanished tomorrow so I can catch a plane and walk the streets of Santo Domingo or wherever I pleased without being afraid of a mob of Haitians with machetes.

Perejil!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
:paranoid:Wow, two threads in "Let's blame Haitians for all our woes" mode.

As was said in earlier posts, you really can substitute "Haitian" for "Mexican" and "DR" for "American," and these threads sound like a typical night on Fox News.

So far, my favorite comments have been of the "I'm not racist because I married/have a relationship with/randomly screw a Dominican, but I really hate Haitians, especially the ones who are as black as the blacks I hated back home. But I'm not a racist." lol.

That said, I'm African-American, and hate Haitians as well. That dark skin is just so...ooky.:paranoid::paranoid::paranoid:

Anyway, I'd happily challenge any person on this blog to find a Dominican (or even better, a know-it-all expat) to work 12+ hours a day, 6+ days a week on a years-long construction project for 300 pesos (about 8 bux) a day.

It's like finding white folks who complain that immigrants take all the jobs, despite the fact they have no interest whatsoever in picking grapes or melons from sun up to sundown. It's all about the principal...er, I mean, "principle," right?

Here comes the part where some expat talks about how hard he worked in his first world country and how he used his brain instead of his head, and now can sit and complain about other people willing to do hard work.

The simple fact is most countries - including the DR - are utterly reliant on cheap labor to operate. Yes, being illegal is less preferable to legal, and yes, the rule of law should be obeyed. But let's not act like the vast majority of illegals work jobs no one wants to work and spend money in our struggling economies to a greater extent than they extract services. After all, lest we forget, most came to work.

I mean, If I were seeking better benefits and more respect, I'd keep on walking to Canada if I were an illegal. But that's me. :glasses::glasses:

But let's get rid of 'em all, regardless of the fact that 1) most just want to work, and 2) those corporations Fox News types are in love with tend to benefit the most from their labor (Monsanto, anyone)? At least until your meal goes up dramatically, or the costs of buying/managing your hours increases, or a million other things that you come to rely on suddenly jumps in price because you're so durned principled.

Then, I imagine we'll start to complain over corporate greed, or taxes, or whatever.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
so if the DR sent all illegal haitians back to haiti, where would the DR be economically or if the US sent all illegals back to their country ? for me that means i would have to buy a lawnmower and do my own landscaping.

but i'm not racist...:laugh:

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Thanks Robert. And that would be major aid agencies in the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Taino's poorly targeted attack on a foreigner like me, a dominicana por adopci?n, pales into insignificance compared to Pichardo who accused a fellow Dominican poster of not being Dominican because of his more balanced stance on the Haitian issue. Luckily for me most of my Dominican friends and family are more like suarezn and ExtremeR than Taino808 and Pichardo.:)

On the same token, THANKS GOD, my friends are just like Pichardo and Chip. The world keeps spinning.:D:D

nakom

Jan 26, 2011
I think people need to dismiss the racial component of this thread, as it really means nothing. Only uneducated people see issues in terms of race.

The issue is do illegal immigrants put a strain on the DR economy? It just so happens that the majority of illegal immigrants in the DR are Haitian.

In 2010 the US deported 254,047 illegal immigrants. Of those 130,051 were convicted criminals (52%). There was an estimated 11.2 illegal immigrants living in the US in 2010.

The problem with illegal immigrants is that they put a strain on countries resources. All people living in the country do. Roads, medical care, electricity, water supply, parks, ect, ect. More people equal more infrastructure required, more maintenance, more upgrades, more repair, ect. These things all take money.

The problem with illegal immigration in any country is ……………..

ILLEGAL IMIGRANTS DO NOT PAY TAXES.

Countries normally do not have a problem growing infrastructure as the population grows. This has happened throughout history. More people equals a growing economy which equals more taxes which equals more infrastructure. (We know the DR has a corrupt government, but let’s leave that out for this discussion).

The impact Haitian illegal immigrants have on the economy from working and spending is no where near significant enough to compensate for their drain on the DR’s resources. I don’t see any problem with Haitians living in the DR, so long as they are documented and pay taxes. Then the government can decide which immigrants will benefit the DR (doctors, engineers, ect) and which ones will not (criminals, infected, ect).

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The problem with illegal immigration in any country is ……………..

ILLEGAL IMIGRANTS DO NOT PAY TAXES.

As an Accountant, I have done taxes (US) for illegals for a long time. They are the first ones that want to be in the system!!!!

nakom

Jan 26, 2011
What percentage of illegal imigrants in the DR would you estimate pay taxes? How about in the US?