new project in juan dolio

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Took a trip over to Juan Dolio today, and here are some observations:
1. Barcel� Capella....Still closed, and nobody knows anything about future plans. The past swirling rumors aren't swirling any more, and the place is just....closed.
2. Hotel Melia....Still sitting there like something out of Aleppo. Two security guards sitting out front on plastic chairs, with four stray dogs. In November, there were three dogs. Maybe this is progress. There are two pallets of cinder blocks sitting to the side. What this means? Nobody knows.
3. The Leaning Tower of Juan Dolio....this is the "structure" next to Albatros, that yes, is leaning. A new, zink sheet fence (gotta love them) with a real padlock now runs the length of this odd creature. The side walls have been flashed over to give a concrete appearance, but does anybody really know? Nothing more/nothing less. Very bizarre.
4. The boulevard is adorned with some fancy billboards announcing two "grand" projects: The first is The Villages at Juan Dolio, and the other is Aquarella. The Villages boasts of a mega shopping plaza, supermarket, restaurants, and a movie theatre. Unfortunately, aside from the billboard announcing it, nobody knows anything more about it. From one trusted source, "don't read into it, it's a bunch of horse crap". Not one iota of info on the internet regarding it. On a side note, I'm really wondering about the movie theatre concept, if there is one in mind. It wouldn't be huge, but I wonder in what language would they offer the movies in? Juan Dolio has many Italians, who speak yes, Italian. You have your English speakers from various countries, and then you have...you guessed it....Spanish speakers. Just wondering, and it makes for good conversation over a bottle of wine or a few beers.
As far as Aquarella, again locals don't seem to have much info. Now when I mention locals, I'm speaking of long term residents, business owners (small and large), and the average person who happens to be in the area (and in the know)...well most of the people in the know, don't know. I was able to pick up some web based information which is pretty generic. Their launch party where everybody dresses nice, and sips champagne around a plastic model of the "project"; a page with scheduled apartment listings/prices/availability; and computer generated images. I'll post the links at the bottom of this update, for those that may be interested in killing some time.
5. A drive from Banco Popular down to Con Con revealed absolutely nothing. I counted 3 people in the street. A couple walking, and a fella on a bike. Nobody else. In all fairness, it was day time (4pm/1600hrs.) and 4 days before Christmas, but this is usually when a huge influx of Italian vacationers arrive, and I didn't see any.
6. Of course, Banco Popular had all of 3 people on line. Love it! For those that don't know, the branch in San Pedro (Jumbo) usually has anywhere from 75-100 at any given time. Shhhhhhhh, don't ruin a good thing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyAxeWs0NF4
http://www.aquarellajuandolio.com/
http://www.aquarellajuandolio.com/disponibilidad-y-precios/

Looks like they are promoting this again. Is this Aquarella the tower that is leaning? They said it will be ready by January 2019. Is there activity now? Will it be finished?

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Looks like they are promoting this again. Is this Aquarella the tower that is leaning? They said it will be ready by January 2019. Is there activity now? Will it be finished?

Space X is announcing a Dominican Launch Pad, to be constructed across from the old Talanquera Hotel which has been abandoned for almost two decades. The site was selected given its proximity to Los Conucos, where aerospace engineers and astrophysicists are plentiful to work on and develop the more complicated aspects involved.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Space X is announcing a Dominican Launch Pad, to be constructed across from the old Talanquera Hotel which has been abandoned for almost two decades. The site was selected given its proximity to Los Conucos, where aerospace engineers and astrophysicists are plentiful to work on and develop the more complicated aspects involved.

Tell me another Joke now.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I passed by Emotions and they are adding more rooms, looks like they decided to do that and put in hold for next year the remodelation of the old Melia Hotel building next to Marbella, actually they are finishing other projects in Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. Emotions Puerto Plata is already operating. Together with AirTransat they started to sell new packages that include beach hotels and 1 or 2 nights in Santo Domingo.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
OK.
San Pedro de Macoris has applied for the next World's Fair. The municipality feels that the expansion of the Cruise Ship port taking place at the Costa Blanca project along with the Space X launch facility will invigorate tourism and encourage global hospitality and travel companies to invest considerable resources in directing investment dollars to the region. Reports of the new International Financial Center of the Americas only adds more interest in securing the event. Additional comments from Marco Colmado at the Malecon confirms that Presidente beer sales are already increasing and they evision securing the exclusive contract to supply alcohol once the Fair takes place.