New Underpants Law in DR.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Does anyone sincerely believe any guy who wears his pants with his butt hanging out has 300 minimum wages to his name?

30?

3?

1?

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
It is definitely a sign of "wanna be"...in the hood, the guys that did time (as has been mentioned) wore their pants without a belt, like in the prison, as a sign of their status as hard guys.
This was especially prevalent among the Hispanic and black communities.
Actually, this is not "especially prevalent" in Hispanic and Black communities. I have seen all groups, except Native Americans, engage in this nonsense across the socio-economic spectrum. Further, Black and Hispanic communities are not monolithic. Those with whom I associate would not be caught dead dressing like that for the very reason that gave rise to the false statement.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's a social statement as much as purple hair and nose rings. Those who feel alienated choose to look the part I guess.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Actually, this is not "especially prevalent" in Hispanic and Black communities. I have seen all groups, except Native Americans, engage in this nonsense across the socio-economic spectrum. Further, Black and Hispanic communities are not monolithic. Those with whom I associate would not be caught dead dressing like that for the very reason that gave rise to the false statement.
I think it is more prevalent in those communities so I don't believe it is a false statement, but you are right that any man past 14 that thinks it is cool to wear pants showing his boxers has stopped maturing.

And I would not associate with any man of any color who wore his pants like that - so I would say none of my friends with whom I associate would be caught dead wearing that style either.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I think it is more prevalent in those communities so I don't believe it is a false statement, but you are right that any man past 14 that thinks it is cool to wear pants showing his boxers has stopped maturing.

And I would not associate with any man of any color who wore his pants like that - so I would say none of my friends with whom I associate would be caught dead wearing that style either.

The first statement is a non sequitur. The second statement casts an interesting worldview. Try this: I would not associate with anymore who wears pants like that. Why restrict it to men of color. My initial statement was not restricted to one group.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The first statement is a non sequitur. The second statement casts an interesting worldview. Try this: I would not associate with anymore who wears pants like that. Why restrict it to men of color. My initial statement was not restricted to one group.

.... and neither was Chico Bill's

He said:
And I would not associate with any man of any color who wore his pants like that...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
.... and neither was Chico Bill's

He said:
Right on.
Always someone trying to imply racist motives. And when anyone prefaces their comment with "non sequitur" from the Latin language you know they are trying to puff...

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Right on.
Always someone trying to imply racist motives. And when anyone prefaces their comment with "non sequitur" from the Latin language you know they are trying to puff...

many english words in common usage are derived from latin roots. the fact that they can be traced to that language does not make them exotic.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
are you kidding ???

Post #1

Default New Underpants Law in DR.

A friend of mine sent me an email today, telling me she heard that as of September 1, any man wandering around with his ass hanging out, and his underpants showing, will expose himself to the possibility of a fine of 300 minimum wages, and 6 months in the pen.

This should go to clown bin unless a link beyond hearsay is posted!

Feb 7, 2007
This should go to clown bin unless a link beyond hearsay is posted!

There was recently enacted such a law, but in North Carolina. It was also covered by DR press. Maybe someone just didn't read the location properly. So yes there is such a law but probably not in the DR. I was not able to Google anything that would be related to the DR. Only North Carolina and Louisiana coming up in search results.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If these guys would only realize how ridiculous they look!

I believe they know. That's the point of them looking that way. That and ensuring numerous opportunities to decry the public ridicule/false discrimination such an appearance elicits in others. If it didn't promote some sort of reaction, they probably wouldn't do it.

Yet another example of a way to easily identify those who have conformity and/or potential personality issues. Note: I accept that people may choose to present themselves anyway they choose. I just do not believe that everyone else "has" to accept outrageous appearance as normal and something deserving of carte blanche acceptance.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
No and seguir is derived from it but it still sounds pompous

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I don't quite understand (as a gay man) why it's considered completely acceptable for women to walk around with their bras showing, or wearing trousers so tight you can see their hemorrhoids, but when a guy shows his boxers we need a law to ban it. A lot of Dominican men have really nice bodies, the more on show the better as far as I'm concerned. Come on girls, back me up on this.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I don't quite understand (as a gay man) why it's considered completely acceptable for women to walk around with their bras showing, or wearing trousers so tight you can see their hemorrhoids, but when a guy shows his boxers we need a law to ban it. A lot of Dominican men have really nice bodies, the more on show the better as far as I'm concerned. Come on girls, back me up on this.

Seriously, well, I cannot see the sexy part when a man show his crack but, please do tell us more?

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
TP, no one has been able to provide any proof that this law will be enacted. So, for now, it is merely a rumour and Dominican butts are still available for everyone's viewing pleasure.

:classic: mob