No more smoking on the beach

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Then wouldnt it be more sensible to just apply a " no littering " law ?
Then while you enjoy not stepping upon discarded cigarette waste, you could also enjoy not splitting your foot on a broken presidente bottle, you could also enjoy not smelling the forgetten dirty nappy, etc, etc........

Obviously, in the perfect world, it would be a good mesure. But, sadly, just thrown out there for PR brownie points, it will have 0 effects.

Any " normal" gringo smoker would/should dispose of his cigarette butts in an ashtray ( yes, yes, ask for one at the beach, where you get your drinks, you will be suprised ), or a disposable ashtray ( small metal box, that clips closed, handed out at every beach or festival back in the civilised world )..........

P.S. a good start would be introducing the dr to public bins. Not only on the beach, but in the cities, etc......

This!

Man they banned riding bikes on beaches, now smoking even in the bars on the beach??!!?!!!  They should be able to smoke inside the restaurant at least if not the beach.  
I am a pretty hardcore non smoker and I am allergic to it so LOVED the very strict banning laws in Canada but I think this is off the charts weird to focus on of all things. Let people smoke on then beach enforce people throwing butts or something. Have ash trays around?!?!
Too many new rules seem to be happening this year and 8 breathalyzers in the country now. No me gusta!!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
As a Libertarian, I am all for the rights of people to do whatever they want as long as it does not harm others.

Turns out, smoking tobacco does harm others.

It has been stated that the nicotine from cigarette butts damages the reef.
Second hand smoke in enclosed places damages other people's health.

I have no problem with laws that ban smoking tobacco in either location.

Even outdoors it is unhealthy to others. In Puerto Rico I had an apartment on the 7th floor. The lady below me smoked and her smelly smoke drifted up into my open bedroom window on the sea breeze. I could hear her hacking too.
I finally paid to put AC in the rented apartment so I could stay cool enough to close the window.
She finally died of lung cancer and a non smoker moved into her apartment

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Yes there are so many issues here.  But your post is just ignoring Another one. Another really disgusting issue of smokers and their crude ways of some more/another kind of publc menace.  For goodness sake at least this donothing government is making a statement on some issue.  If it ever gets enforced "typico" but at least there will be some conscience about no smoking on these beautiful beaches.  Right let the brutish tourists resist but if it stops someone from putting a cigarette in their mouth on My beach I am pleased.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I love this!!! Its not just the pollution aspect, us 2nd hand smokers (not by choice) could now have more choices to visit. In this Country (and most) the non smoker has to endure the stench and health issues if they want to go to most open air bars and restaurants. I know the enforcement is a BIG ? but all the power to them!!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I don't really have a problem with a ban....I have a problem with the hypocrisy. The reef...please.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
So you can still puff cigar smoke into the faces of other clients at a bar in the street, but not on the beach? It doesn't make much sense to me.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the fun part of this thread is that the biggest culprits, on a percentage basis, are gringos, because very few Dominicans smoke..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So you can still puff cigar smoke into the faces of other clients at a bar in the street, but not on the beach? It doesn't make much sense to me.

The reef is more important than another person's health. Priorities.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Now we will need the statistical evidence to back this up....:bandit:

actually, my statistical evidence comes from experience. i have been exposed to this country for decades. i had my first apartment in SD when Balaguer was president. i have met, and known, thousands of people. i can count the Dominican smokers i know on one hand.

whenever i go to a caseta on the POP malecon, for instance, and i smell cigarette smoke, i find that the smoker is, nearly all the time, a foreigner.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the fun part of this thread is that the biggest culprits, on a percentage basis, are gringos, because very few Dominicans smoke..

Canadians that smoke? 15.7%

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-s-smoking-rate-falls-slightly-1.4036492

Americans that smoke 15.1%

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/adult_data/cig_smoking/index.htm

As for the Dominican Republic: According to the most recent information online (2011) An OMS (WHO-World Health Organization) report indicated that among adults the % of people who consume cigarettes stood at:

17% Men

13% Woman

https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-smoke-cigarettes-in-the-Dominican-Republic-2015—present
http://www.who.int/tobacco/surveillance/policy/country_profile/dom.pdf

Not that much difference between Canadian, American, and Dominican smoking rates.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
actually, my statistical evidence comes from experience. i have been exposed to this country for decades. i had my first apartment in SD when Balaguer was president. i have met, and known, thousands of people. i can count the Dominican smokers i know on one hand.

whenever i go to a caseta on the POP malecon, for instance, and i smell cigarette smoke, i find that the smoker is, nearly all the time, a foreigner.

Then I just proved how evidence from one person's personal experience and not from facts and research can be wrong. You do demand actual and not anecdotal evidence from posters from time to time on other issues, i have noted.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Canadians that smoke? 15.7%

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-s-smoking-rate-falls-slightly-1.4036492

Americans that smoke 15.1%

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/adult_data/cig_smoking/index.htm

As for the Dominican Republic: According to the most recent information online (2011) An OMS (WHO-World Health Organization) report indicated that among adults the % of people who consume cigarettes stood at:

17% Men

13% Woman

https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-smoke-cigarettes-in-the-Dominican-Republic-2015—present
http://www.who.int/tobacco/surveillance/policy/country_profile/dom.pdf

Not that much difference between Canadian, American, and Dominican smoking rates.

well, Americans and Canadians are not the only foreigners, windeguy. there are lots of foreigners from the other side of the Atlantic.

besides, i do not know who these 17% of Dominicans are. as i said, in my experience, i only know one personal acquaintance who smokes.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Surely it is possible for establishment owners to choose to allow smoking or not. Seems to be a lot of people who would choose a nonsmoking establishment over the alternative. Let the marketplace decide. Not a primary reason for my decision to move to the DR but certainly a perk - can smoke in most places provided I exercise some consideration for others unlike at home where yes the hypocritical nanny state and the the ardent jihadists set the rules. Fine that's the way it is and I left. Those who wish to avoid smokers should be free to go someplace where smokers are not and smokers deserve a place to go where jihadists are not. A part of the beach for nudists, a part of the beach for smokers and a part of the beach for everyone else who will happily breath in 3rd world exhaust pollution but shake in fear and outrage at the prospect of someone choosing to off themselves slowly at a distance outdoors.

Many of these same people are the DR driver copycats who are much more likely to get dead by driving here than inhaling 2nd hand smoke mixed with an atmosphere of air.

But that's fine, at least here, the jihadist are free to support whatever Govt. initiatives tickle their fancy with the full understanding that the reefs are more important than the foreign jihadist mentality and that suites me just fine.

Legal product should be usable outdoors provided one doesn't litter or obnoxiously torment others. We all have two legs and can move if a situation develops. I haven't tied anyone up and blown smoke in their face in a long time.

Happy New Year everyone. I'm going to a party and will definitely be mixing my cancer stick smoke with oodles of toxic vapors from fireworks, I hope it doesn't blow your way but you might want to close the window anyway, I hear a moto belching exhaust smoke coming down the street.

Flames > NUL

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
well, Americans and Canadians are not the only foreigners, windeguy. there are lots of foreigners from the other side of the Atlantic.

besides, i do not know who these 17% of Dominicans are. as i said, in my experience, i only know one personal acquaintance who smokes.

Then we will need the percentage of people by country as well as the smoking rate per country to make a valid comparison.
If they were all Austrians, you would certainly be correct since almost half of them have a death wish.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Then we will need the percentage of people by country as well as the smoking rate per country to make a valid comparison.
If they were all Austrians, you would certainly be correct since almost half of them have a death wish.

throw in people like the French. if i am at a table, and a group of French people set up next to me, i move, because it is only a matter of moments before the table is covered with boxes of Gitanes..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
throw in people like the French. if i am at a table, and a group of French people set up next to me, i move, because it is only a matter of moments before the table is covered with boxes of Gitanes..

And they are not close to the percentage of Austrians who smoke.

There was one restaurant in cab on the road that was non smoking, the wife and I LOVED it but really most of the tourists and expats smoke and it wasn’t a Dom type place so under it went....
I find it really weird how many gringos smoke here, I guess it goes along with the heavy consumption of booze...

To me open air restaurants and bars make a huge difference to having smokers around. Back in Van everything was closed in so it bothered us a lot more, here I guess I have just gotten used to it and most of our friends are curtious smokers so when out with them they won’t light up at a table, they go outside the place or at least move so they are not around us.