Notice to all expats in the dr!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
And lots of vacant apartments looking for renters ! As my mom used to say do not bite your nose off to spite your face.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
These new more restrictive regulations have nothing to with the DR but are most likely being pushed on the DR by the US. - via approvals for World Bank and IMF money.

The name of the game: making it harder for US citizens to flee the US and set up shop in the DR and take their money with them.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
More costly, difficult residency and more expensive, difficult, and expense business formation/operation/taxation would make the DR a very unattractive place to reside and do business as a foreigner.

Keeping scum out is one thing.

This direction is one that gives me pause.

IF Im not mistaken the idea is to make it easier to do business, especially for Small and Medium Enterprises, and both for locals and foreigners.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
IF Im not mistaken the idea is to make it easier to do business, especially for Small and Medium Enterprises, and both for locals and foreigners.
How?

Do you operate a business in the DR?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Surely it is simply to get expats to pay their taxes, the majority don't, and most that do work the books to some extent, but a bit of trickery is normal anywhere, but flying under the radar entirely not so.

Or I could be wrong

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
How?

Do you operate a business in the DR?
Yes you could say I do, but that doesn't have to do with my statement. From what I read in the news and from what Pichardo posted here one of the goals is to make it easier to do business, or in his words:

The DR will be looking to attract entrepreneurs and industrial start-ups, with all the conveniences it can afford for their move to the country.

In my case....I am a highly skilled worker even though not in an industry sector, and I believe my (small) undertakings will benefit from this new approach of the Dominican government. And I do believe the country will benefit from immigrants that contribute something to the country opposed to those that come for retirement, now I can go on and get nasty...but I won't.

Feb 7, 2007
Mauricio - The problem is that I do not think "small biz" such as you, I or Cobra may operate probably will be "too interesting" to the gubmit. For the "startup" they may think along the lines of US$10 million green field investment rather than couple of guys sleeping in their office living on pizzas and coffees and working diabolic hours (the typical American startup) getting a new gizmo or idea to fruition.

Cobra has a small touring biz, giving jobs to people when they have tours, and spending money in hotels, restaurants etc along the routes, plus gasoline taxes of course. Question is...will the gubmit consider that kind of business "worthy"?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Mauricio - The problem is that I do not think "small biz" such as you, I or Cobra may operate probably will be "too interesting" to the gubmit. For the "startup" they may think along the lines of US$10 million green field investment rather than couple of guys sleeping in their office living on pizzas and coffees and working diabolic hours (the typical American startup) getting a new gizmo or idea to fruition.

Cobra has a small touring biz, giving jobs to people when they have tours, and spending money in hotels, restaurants etc along the routes, plus gasoline taxes of course. Question is...will the gubmit consider that kind of business "worthy"?
And income taxes, ITIBIS, etc. for two businesses (including Welcome to Blue Orb SRL).

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
What about the Expats that employ gardiners, maids that buy fuel get cars fixed by mechanics or need plumbers or electricians? The expat dollar employs all of these when tourist season is over these expats support restaurants ,bars supermarkets if that is not contributing then what is ?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

What I read in the news was that the government wants to stimulate SME, which normally doesn't include 10 million dollar start ups. I think our small businesses with growth potential are the driving force of an economy (at least that's true of a developed economy and I suppose the governments aim is to take those kind of businesses out of the informal sector where they prefer to operate now, due to the fact of high taxes and bureaucratic complications and thus facilitating them to access of bank loans, investors etc and giving them growth potential. And ofcourse make them pay taxes. I just summed up two different things I heard, one being the government wanting to stimulate small and medium business and the other one stimulation knowledge and entrepreneurial immigration over retirement immigration.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What I read in the news was that the government wants to stimulate SME, which normally doesn't include 10 million dollar start ups. I think our small businesses with growth potential are the driving force of an economy (at least that's true of a developed economy and I suppose the governments aim is to take those kind of businesses out of the informal sector where they prefer to operate now, due to the fact of high taxes and bureaucratic complications and thus facilitating them to access of bank loans, investors etc and giving them growth potential. And ofcourse make them pay taxes. I just summed up two different things I heard, one being the government wanting to stimulate small and medium business and the other one stimulation knowledge and entrepreneurial immigration over retirement immigration.
Explain the argument why one type of stimulation isn't better than both.

I can make an argument why ALL types of stimulation is better than cherry-picking one or two.

The DR already has a host real and perceived regarding foreigners (tourists, retirees, etc.). That is one reason they became "immigration friendly" just a few years ago, including fast track residency. IMO, reversing course does not bode well for that perception.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
What about the Expats that employ gardiners, maids that buy fuel get cars fixed by mechanics or need plumbers or electricians? The expat dollar employs all of these when tourist season is over these expats support restaurants ,bars supermarkets if that is not contributing then what is ?

That foreigners can move here and get residency after they been living here as a tourist is partly what drives the economy. It would not be good for areas like Punta Cana and Puerto Plata if it becomes harder and maybe for some to much of a hassle. I think it is smart system now. You get to live here for a while and can test it before you start the process. Why change that. I dont see the purpose of it. You can also live here for years as a tourist and then just pay some taxes/fines when you leave. They would have to change that then if the purpose is to avoid criminals.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
That wont stop criminals they will just pay look at Figaroa that dude had so many big shots in his pocket this will not stop that when there is so much corruption.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Also the Dominican foreign service does not have a very good and large infrastructure and in many countries dont have embassies/consulates so applying for the residency visa could mean going to another country first.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm guessing the consular jobs are going to be in more demand now.

That's a lot of $$$ floating around ready to be picked off.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
How will this affect the a temporary resident who is not even due to apply for permanent?

Status
Not open for further replies.