Now Everyone Needs a Residency VISA

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Whatever the government creates here, remember..............
they have ONLY ONE THING IN MIND...................MORE MONEY FOR THEIR COFFERS..............
They have no problem if you have to spend 1000 dollars.........
as long AS THEY MAKE THEIR ONE PESO.................

B in Santiago

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I would also recommend everybody who is getting close to expiration of his/ her permanent residency card or with already expired residencies to take advantage of the 60 days extension, starting June 8th, to renew the residency within this time (old procedure). It get's more complicated after that.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What surprised me though, under the old rules, that I have to pay a 500 pesos penalty for each month I applied to late for my residence renewal (I understand that part), but that now my residence is approved I have to get my cedula renewed and they are charging 500 pesos for each month that it is expired too. But the fact that mine expired 14 months ago is due to the fact that:
1. I could only apply for my new residence after my cedula expired already for 3 months (while cedula expiration is based on birthday and residence expiration is based on the date you got the provisional one (and you cant apply for a permanent one when the provisional is less than a year old)
2. Add 6 months for me being late applying my new residence (my fault)
3. Add 5 months for them approving my new residence. So 8 month = 4,000 pesos they are charging for them not having their system lined up.

Jan 17, 2009
Mido, do me a favor, post the link where you read this. Mine is expiring mid August but I can't start the renewal now as I need to leave in 10 days and need my residency card to get out and come back in in August. If I can get more info, I can discuss with my lawyer before leaving. Thanks

I would also recommend everybody who is getting close to expiration of his/ her permanent residency card or with already expired residencies to take advantage of the 60 days extension, starting June 8th, to renew the residency within this time (old procedure). It get's more complicated after that.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Mido, do me a favor, post the link where you read this. Mine is expiring mid August but I can't start the renewal now as I need to leave in 10 days and need my residency card to get out and come back in in August. If I can get more info, I can discuss with my lawyer before leaving. Thanks
I didn't read this, this is first hand information. I went with a friend of mine to renew his permanent residency and one of the immigration officers there just told us.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Quite a few changes to the requirements from what I can see. Some good, some making it a bit more complicated. All I can say is thank god I have mine!!!

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
This is not pointed at tourists, it is aiming at people who want to stay here illegally. Which regular tourist would stay for more than 30 days?

Quite a few do. Many who live on the North Coast come, stay as long as they like and just pay the nominal exit fine. It's less of a hassle than getting a residency visa. I stay anywhere from weeks to my longest stay of nine months, but because I'm back and forth, residency is a hassle I don't need. If this law is enforced, the country can look forward to losing a lot of tourist dollars from people who do the same.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I imagine that all the rules and changes are intended mainly for the Haitians so if you are a European or from North America or Australasia I would not be at all worried ...just pay the penalty at the airport ,,I had a few days in NY and going out paid mypenalty and coming in ..had no problems at all .

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
If you overstay the 60 day tourist card, what are they going to do? Hold you hostage? Inprison you? Probably just a new fee schedule to come out.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This is just going to be imposed on illegal "Haitianos",and the builders who use them in construction.
If it costs $800 what Hatian is able to pay that?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If that is the case and its enforced against the Haitians it will substantially raise construction costs across the board.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
If that is the case and its enforced against the Haitians it will substantially raise construction costs across the board.

Most of this will not apply to Haitians because the majority of them would just cross the border unregistered. No visa, no nothing. plus not every Haitian works in construction and I dont think the law would apply to those under work permit. And if it does I can almost guarantee you the companies employing them would cover that $800 dollars for them.

The DR can't pass any laws without most of you immediately assuming that the law is geared toward Haitians and to call DR racist.

Some of you stink from the same bc you guys talk.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I think everyone needs to call a real attorney as this one posted an ad for business so who really knows what is true until you hear from Guzman the DR1 recomended attorney

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would stop the speculating and wait until we see an actual ruling.

It will change, that we have no doubt.

Yes this thread should be interesting to follow. ( If it stays alive more than the normal 1week )..
Prices on homes are going to drop like a rock thats for sure, Thank God i only have one property here.

I wonder who are going to pay for the luz when the people with money are kicked out of the country?

tanicos

May 28, 2012
hi

i would really need a reply here from an official attorney since i came here to DR 1 week ago and i intend to open a business here and if it's the case to go back home and apply from there then at least i'll look for another country around. this would be the most stupid thing to do when half of DR is poor and they rely on tourists and visitors money. anyway hope to get a reply soon.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.