Now Everyone Needs a Residency VISA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanicos

May 28, 2012
can you share some info about brasil if you lived there? how are things there compared to here for ex.

thanks

can you share some info about brasil if you lived there? how are things there compared to here for ex.

thanks

I first lived a little time in brasil ( Cabo Frio area) before i came to the RD in 2002. In Brasil i read a law that said foreigners needed an fixed monthly income over some thousand us- (dont remember how much money right now, but i think it was 2400us and that amount opened the door for a family of 3). And you could live there 6months of the year. Imigration did not care if it was retirement or worksalary.
So for me that would be better if the RD is making it difficult for us snowbirds/ retired.

I chose RD because of i could live here without so much problems as in Brasil. Now i see i never should have left the country and rather bought my home over there when i could.

Feb 7, 2007
It is important to stop speculating and wait for Mr. Guzman's input. It's true that RIGHT NOW residency cannot be applied for at Migracion without a visa. If you have done your medical prior to June 1 you can still apply. We need to hear from Mr. Guzman whether there will be any option for regularization of people already present in the country (something may be worked out and lawyers are doing some media noise about this issue) or if it is necessary to fly to one's home country to get visa first. Also, from what I read on Portal de Servicios Consulares de la Rep?blica Dominicana there is much more paperwork involved when applying for visa and it will take about 2 to 3 weeks.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I am going to the Dominican counsulate in Boston next week,I'll see what I can find out there.
And,MR-DR,say what you will,but Dominicans are some of the most bigoted,racist people I have ever met,ESPECIALLY toward their Haitian "Brothers"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

tanicos

May 28, 2012
as that guy says on his website
(See Presidential Decree 631-11) articles 120-140
here it is
http://www.acnur.org/t3/fileadmin/Documentos/BDL/2011/8190.pdf?view=1
i translated it with google translate all 120-140 articles and could not find a single word about visa and immigration in this chapters. they are for kids, adoption, expulsion..etc but nothing to say that you have to apply from your own country. i called the embassy in Colombia that is the closest here where my country has embassies and they don't know anything about this. i tried to contact the Minister of External Affairs here but they all speak only Spanish unfortunately for me..weird although..external affairs to speak only native language...anyway i'll call tomorrow a few more embassies to see if they heard of anything like this and keep you all posted. you should probably do the same thing

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
as that guy says on his website
here it is
http://www.acnur.org/t3/fileadmin/Documentos/BDL/2011/8190.pdf?view=1
i translated it with google translate all 120-140 articles and could not find a single word about visa and immigration in this chapters. they are for kids, adoption, expulsion..etc but nothing to say that you have to apply from your own country. i called the embassy in Colombia that is the closest here where my country has embassies and they don't know anything about this. i tried to contact the Minister of External Affairs here but they all speak only Spanish unfortunately for me..weird although..external affairs to speak only native language...anyway i'll call tomorrow a few more embassies to see if they heard of anything like this and keep you all posted. you should probably do the same thing

It says very clearly in article 48 a) that you need a Constancia de la Visa de Residencia in order to obtain your temporary residency.

Feb 7, 2007
You can get the RS visa only from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Now it's at consulate. Maybe the lawyers will negotiate that for foreigners already present in the country they can do it at Ministry directly. But indeed it's a two step process, basically duplicate because you have to deposit same documents twice (and more at embassy). They should have left a provision for "adjustment of status" as have other jurisdictions (e.g. USA) when you enter legally (e.g. via Airport) on other type of status (e.g. tourist).

Also what's a general complaint I have seen in media articles is that the entry-into-effect was done silently, basically nobody knew until just couple of days before June 1 what was the entry-into-effect date.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The good thing is that you can get your residency which includes your work permit still relatively easy compared to any other Caribbean or Latin American nation.

Feb 7, 2007
What I really do not understand why a two-step process. We all know the workload at Migracion... now the same workload will be duplicated, because first you will have to apply for visa along with all your documentation, then WHEN you get visa you come to DR on that visa and THEN apply at Migracion for residency. The consulates actually do have to send paperwork to the Ministry, it's not the consulates who have the authority to approve the RS visa. This actually only doubled the workload. Embassies (especially in some countries) will be overloaded. Ministry people in SD will be overloaded with paperwork even more, because if there are 30 DR consulates, there is only 1 ministry. And after that, starting (continuing) the process again in the DR.

Again, practically all jurisdictions I know permit you adjustment of status (mostly tourist/business entry into -> education/fiance/residency). That removes the workload from embassies.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If you've had your Permanent Residence Card for 1 year, can you apply for the 4 year card..............
Mine expires in August and I am in that 60 day grace period...........
The woman that works Immigration in Santiago doesn't seem to know anything....
accept taking money.....

B in Santiago

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Yes this thread should be interesting to follow. ( If it stays alive more than the normal 1week )..
Prices on homes are going to drop like a rock thats for sure, Thank God i only have one property here.

I wonder who are going to pay for the luz when the people with money are kicked out of the country?

I wonder who are going to pay for the luz when the people with money are kicked out of the country?

ha, ha, good question:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.