One Question: Is It Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Clearly, he's gay...... anybody can see that from across the street.

What was Stella thinking or drinking? Stella, I bet

WW

ambressence

May 6, 2011
Well there you go - you are a tourist and your friend isn't. No doubt he expects you know little of his culture and cost of goods and services.

That could be very true... but fact that I will be living in DR in a non tourist area for a month while I am working this summer will really tell me if the rate of 50 pesos is the correct or not..I will go into the cafe myself and investigate lol

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Often folks look for verification when they ask for advice.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena, don't get your blood in a boil - she said Black women AND Americans. BTW, I've yet to meet an "upper class" couple here in the DR where the wife is an American and I've played with a lot of "upper class" guys at the local golf course here in Santiago.

LOL, Chip, don't need the BP meds yet! Maybe you are right that that is the mentality in the actual DR, cuz half of them are what we in the south call "ignant" but in the US of A, the majority of Dominican men I know got themselves a fine as wine specimen of black womanhood :)

SHALENA

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
I want to know what the hell mountainanne means by saying "Black women even American are not the most desirable mates for middle and upper class"

It means what she said, that they rather not have dark folks as mates.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Often folks look for verification when they ask for advice.

Yes, shall we reminisce on the UNC Operating Room thread. I already knew the answers to.all of my questions, I just wanted a few people to tell me what I wanted to hear.

SHALENA

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Here Is The PROBLEM I See!

IF this guy is a carpenter during the week,how can he be talking to you twice a day????
Too much "Beach Time"as well.Did he say he was on vacation when you were here?How CONVENIENT!!
Sounds like too much free time for a working man.???????????????????????????
I'll vote SANKEY!
Until proven otherwise.
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
yeah
but if he called less ,you would have said
"He is with another client" lol
no win situation
Manu

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It means what she said, that they rather not have dark folks as mates.

Everybody knows many Dominicans have a penchant for the lighter skinned and eyed mate just like the gringos that come here have a penchant for the indias and morenas that populate this place. I suppose this is what makes the world go round. :)

Still, as I've mentioned I don't know of any "upper class" Dominicans that have married any gringos/gringos whether they be white, black or green. :) Maybe other people have some examples they can post. I believe it is mostly due to the perceptions I have posted and classism.

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
He works in carpentry in Santo Domingo. When hes at work during the week he lives with his older sister and brother, and on the weekends he has a house in Andres where he stays by himself.
I have visited his home there. Its not much, but he makes it work for him. Its not in a safe neighborhood (TRUST me I had to se this for myself to understand) so when he can he stays with his brother and sister during the week when hes in Santo Domingo at work.

He hasn't asked for anything, just to be able to talk to me more, which is difficult because I am very busy with school and work but I know that being able to talk is something that he really looks forward to because work is so stressful for him. And no phone calls. Syppe via webcam and Facebook chat because its free and neither of us has the money to pay for phone calls.

The only thing is, he spends about 100 pesos a day when he goes to the internet cafe and when he doesn't we have a mutual friend who has sometimes has reliable internet that he will use but most of the time, hes paying 50 pesos per hour....and since he likes to talk twice a day, it adds up. 700 pesos by the end of the week..I dont even want to think about the cost at the end of the month...but he insists that he will do anything just to talk to me. Since wifi is free for me, I know hes contributing a lot when he already doesn't have much. Hes never asked for a thing. Hes actually refused anything I tried to give him during my stay this spring. I dont offer anything now because I learned it kinda offends him, and hes never asked. If he keeps it up until August I think I'll be able to see just how much he really wants this since hes been willing to pay everyday or go all the way to our friends home (and pay for gas, or transportation to get there) just to talk to me. and lol...

btw...lol kissing frogs is probably my least favorite thing to do.

Ok not trying to pick over stuff but internet cafes only charge 30 pesos for one hour and some charge less unless you are at one of the resorts and they charge $2. So don't get hung up on what you think he is paying to speak to you on a regular, I am willing to bet money he is not spending 2800 pesos per month to chat.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Ok not trying to pick over stuff but internet cafes only charge 30 pesos for one hour and some charge less unless you are at one of the resorts and they charge $2. So don't get hung up on what you think he is paying to speak to you on a regular, I am willing to bet money he is not spending 2800 pesos per month to chat.

How you gon' mess up homeboy's game like that? You KNOW he was about to hit her up for that 2800 pesos. Girl, you peso blockin'! LOL

SHALENA

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Thanks.

To the OP, red flag #1.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
For those that don't know ... the movie "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" was based on the author's real life escapade in Jamaica. She met an attractive young "professional" man and married him.

But ... here is what Stella really ended up with .... after the book and movie were done!

Epilogue for 'Stella' author: a messy divorce - SFGate

Just be careful out there!!! :cool:

Oh NO.. i didn't want to know this

really

i did not

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
My two cents, I got married at 22, it is too young to get married. Yes, I am divorced :) Motto: grow up a little before getting anywhere close to serious, go real slow, don't invest your money, be good friends and that will last forever.

Also the cultural gap will appear when you spend more time, so be aware, and don't beat yourself up. I mean, you won't have to beat yourself up if you go slow enough to avoid major cultural issues. Time, time, time is on your side! Patience! Find other things to do than be available to him 24/7 and enjoy the trip!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Everybody knows many Dominicans have a penchant for the lighter skinned and eyed mate just like the gringos that come here have a penchant for the indias and morenas that populate this place. I suppose this is what makes the world go round. :)

Still, as I've mentioned I don't know of any "upper class" Dominicans that have married any gringos/gringos whether they be white, black or green. :) Maybe other people have some examples they can post. I believe it is mostly due to the perceptions I have posted and classism.

Terri Brugal is a USA born and raised, very white, former airline stewardess......

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
Thanks.

To the OP, red flag #1.

Exactly, because to lie about something so trivial as that is for what...to make it seem like he is going that extra mile. Not to mention half of the ones that are in the internet cafes are borrowing money from their buddies that are in there on the internet just so they can have the company and everyone can look at each others facebook page and so forth...all I am saying is think about the fairy dust that has been sprinkled shake it off and let it be what is...some good hot latin sex!!!

ambressence

May 6, 2011
peso blocking
how funny

LOL This was hilarious..i guess there is some peso blocking going on here lol...if the basis of this argument is that...he's NOT paying this many pesos to talk to me...OKAY. 50. 40. 30 pesos??? Who knows but lol but what I do KNOW is Im not paying for the conversations, or his transportation to get there, thats all him...you guys are digggginnng. but its great. keep it up lol and two: I don't always get them twice a day, but sometimes get a message in the morning..and at then we talk at night...I work two jobs, I'm in school and I have the time to do the same..he just has one job... but clearly he doesn't have as much time as some of the folks have on here to argue about the cost to talk in an internet cafe... Im trying to get the kind of jobs some of you guys have...lol...and if possible I need a SOLID internet cafe cost per hour in Andres. Does anyone know lol.

ambressence

May 6, 2011
Not to mention half of the ones that are in the internet cafes are borrowing money from their buddies that are in there on the internet just so they can have the company and everyone can look at each others facebook page and so forth...all I am saying is think about the fairy dust that has been sprinkled shake it off and let it be what is...some good hot latin sex!!!

LOL you guys...im in college lol...you think I don't do the same thing with my friends when I'm talking to him on Facebook (minus the borrowing money part because wifi is free) They probably know more about him then I do. But I'll take the advice, im shaking the fairy dust..time will tell what it really could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.