ONLY in DR (add yours to list)...

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
only in the Dr do you buy a fan and the next day it stops working so you take it back and there is no refunds

In the DR you have little trucks circling around offering to buy anything old "compramos cosas viejas lo que sea" (we'll buy anything old whatever it is).

Sometimes I ask them "cuanto pa' una esposa vieja y amarga? (how much for an old bitter wife)" sometimes they laugh and sometimes they just drive on.

One came by this morning while I was walking my dogs just as I got back to my building. I didn't speak to him but I mentioned to our portero (day time watchman) that I had a fan that had stopped working and did he know someone who could fix it.

He said 'my grandson is upstairs fixing a refrigerator'. I brought my floor fan downstairs and went down the street to buy lunch from the comedor at the corner.

When I got back it was done. His grandson had cleaned it and oiled it and that was all it needed. I gave him a good propina and I was ecstatic. I had considered selling it to the "buy old stuff guys".

So there's an Only in the DR (maybe).

The portero is the father in law of the president of the residents association. The president is Italian. I call him Mussolini because he makes a lot of unilateral decisions. I'm the treasurer and the number of his unilateral decisions that pi$$ me off are so few that I don't oppose him since the building is, on balance, well run.

None of this is necessarily Only in the DR but it surely is nothing like where I came from.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Get my golf shoes cleaned and shined on the street like new for under a buck.
Buy the best tasting frosted beer I know of for under a buck and a 1/2.
See 50 plus old man overweight by 50 pounds walking down a street with a local more then 1/2 his age and he feels like he's Tom Cruise.
Have a flat tire on the highway and within minutes have a motor concho, 3 trucks and a publico offering to help.
Pay a local girl at a car wash 2 1/2 bucks for a whole night plus beer to teach me how to dance to bachata.
Asking a Dominican friend what is his dog's name, and he replys "thats not important"
Going into a restuarant and being given a mobile toilet seat before entering the bano.
Having it explained by a dominican female friend that she had 7 sisters all from her father, however 5 of them where raised in 5 different houses with different girlfriends and her mother never divorced him.
Seeing a motor concho strapping a casket to his back which I assumed was empty as he traveled down the road.
Seeing a Dominican mother walk over to a visiting topless gringa at the beach and pour a bucket of ice cold water over her. Then she returns and next to her is her daughter which is 16 or so wearing what looked like a thong!
Getting asked one day in the line at the Bank to remove my golf hat from the security man. In the same line is a local with a machete in his hand, and in front of him is another local with a pistol in his side.

Reactions: Luperon and mike l

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
I've tried saying "cook out" and "cocinado" right after each other but they don't sound a whole lot alike to me. At any rate I thought "cocinado" was self explanatory. BTW, everybody here says barbeque - maybe they are doing it for my benefit. :)

It's "cocina'o" (not cocinado) and it sounds pretty similar.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Alway try to get my Dominican Yoga students to say Namaste at the end. However, it always sounds like "No Mistake" to me. Now I know what my spanish must sound like to them being a gringo.;)

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
In the DR you have little trucks circling around offering to buy anything old "compramos cosas viejas lo que sea" (we'll buy anything old whatever it is).

Sometimes I ask them "cuanto pa' una esposa vieja y amarga? (how much for an old bitter wife)" sometimes they laugh and sometimes they just drive on.
"El arrasa con to"
Comprando colchones viejos,el box sping,la base se abajo,baterias viejas,radiadores viejos,neveras,lavadoras estufas, pailas viejas.
Todo lo que sea de aluminio se lo compramos..
Le limpiamos el patio y le pagamos por ello...
Llego "el arrasa con to" comprando todo lo que sea viejo...
Menos mujeres viejas.

haha

JJ

calle13

May 2, 2009
Only in the DR you can pay your traffic fine right on the street to the police officer.....

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
only in the DR can you have a conversation with a man hold a machete and not feel nervous

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
only in the DR can you go into a pool supply shop and they dont have anything to sell you

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's "cocina'o" (not cocinado) and it sounds pretty similar.

It still doesn't sound the same as the issue is not the missing "d" in cocinao. It's the pronunciation of the "o". The "o" in cocinao is the same "o" as in "coke", not "cook". The two o's in "cook" sound the same as in look, book and took but different that root, boot. The English double "o" sound is very different from the Spanish one and almost a cross between a "u" and an "o" sound in the first examples. In the latter examples it is really a "u" sound.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
"El arrasa con to"
Comprando colchones viejos,el box sping,la base se abajo,baterias viejas,radiadores viejos,neveras,lavadoras estufas, pailas viejas.
Todo lo que sea de aluminio se lo compramos..
Le limpiamos el patio y le pagamos por ello...
Llego "el arrasa con to" comprando todo lo que sea viejo...
Menos mujeres viejas.

haha

JJ

Hahahaha.

Chiiiicharrrooonneeeeeee.......

Do?a La Floreeeeee.........

Maneeeeeeeee (Man?)

Tru-life

Feb 15, 2010
Never been to DR (going the 1st of june :)) But all this sounds alot like the things that only happens in Cuba ;)

Reactions: LaLouve

crm

May 5, 2004
Very True
Almost everything that people identify as being only in the DR are common place everywhere in Latin America.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Very True
Almost everything that people identify as being only in the DR are common place everywhere in Latin America.

And many developing countries if may add.
Again, this is a DR related site so...:eek:

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Pay for full coverages on rental car

and flat tire repairs are not covered and BTW even though the spare was full of air it would not fit the car or and even though it was quite late the guy who fixes your tire offers to share his dinner (that he stopped eating in order to help you) did I mention I was prepared to get "reamed" when it came to paying he did not charge "gringo prices"

you can "tip" a policeman with a sandwich or fresh fruit

you can mix up "moro" and "mero" when ordering lunch and still have a great meal

get the best shave of your life on the beach (Sosua 1998)

get invited to dinner with family (in their home) as part of the bargaining process with a vendor at the market in POP (then have mom's brother get jealous and insist we return next day for "his turn" true story)

have the taxi driver hold luggage hostage until he was paid full fair even though van had a flat tire on the way to the airport well after dark and was unable to get the spare down/installed

visit a country more than 35 times and still "long" for your next chance to visit (July 10 2010 my birthday BTW)

you can respond "money? parque money? no money por nada" when stopped while driving by armed military guys (automatic weapon in hand) and it is acceptable

you can get a water pump/timing belt repaired on a Toyota Camry while you go for lunch and it costs less than lunch would at home

all beaches are public but you may meet an armed guard that has no been so informed

you can go to a bar that is actually inside a jail and drink/dance right along with inmates and guards

I may be able to think of more. I assure you all of these items are from personal expirience over the years.
ggparts

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
In El Seibo Christmas time 2009

After a big dinner and some visiting we walked over to the jail (I'm with local residents obviously) and we just went through the gate and there was the typical too loud music and people enjoying themselves the same as if they were not in jail. My friend did not find it anything out of the ordinary except that he wanted me to have the experience.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
You can take a visible hand gun up to the counter in the bank

as long as you take your cap and shades off!