Opinion about some areas please...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I do not need any other foreigners nearby, I can do perfectly well without :D Waiting for your Top 5...

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Really, these are the ignoramous I talk of. The same that won't live more than 100mtrs from another knkwn foreigner.

I woukdn't expe t you to move where I am now, it's pretty hardcore backwards here in La Caleta. But I lived Autopiste San Isidro, loads of new developements gone up, being bought and new build nice houses scattered around. Generally safe if you stayvlose to the base, and even if you stray, it's not as those who have never been for more than a minute might say. I guarantee there is more murders downtown, more robberies, more rapes, be auae there is no commu ity. They have revamped an entirere district on the beachfront hardly anyone knows about other than a few long term Eropeans, right on the tsil of the city and SDEste limits.
My battery is about to go on this pad but I'll have a think and give you my top 5 of SDEste areas once Charged up.

I would agree that there are merits to the other side of the bridge if your life permits it. I actually worked on the other side of the bridge and considered the move a few years ago. It's a definite option and the price is right

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Mirador Sur and Bella Vista (not Bella Vista Norte) are good in general, but anyway you need to check the exact street/building for abandoned constructions, noisy colmadones, etc...

I like Bella Vista and Mirador Norte. I haven't lived in either place but I've visited both many times and our friend in Bella Vista raves about how safe her area is. I've noticed many people in the area of Mirador Norte I've visited leave their car parked on the street over night.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Be aware that Mirador Norte is something very different than Ciudad Modelo. Near Ciudad Modelo you have Parque Mirador Norte, but the sector Mirador norte is near 27 de febeers , between Nunez and Privada on the south side of 27. Not a bad neighborhood.

Stay away from Herrera.

Cuesta Hermosa is nice if you don't mind a huge traffic jam to get out of Arroyo Hondo to the rest of the city at peak hour.

Bella Vista is excellent and even more so Los Cacicazgos (except for Anacaona, lots of robberies there).

Los Millones are nice too, especially el Millon I (west of Nunez de Caceres).

Las Praderas, Los Prados, all good.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Be aware that Mirador Norte is something very different than Ciudad Modelo. Near Ciudad Modelo you have Parque Mirador Norte, but the sector Mirador norte is near 27 de febeers , between Nunez and Privada on the south side of 27. Not a bad neighborhood.

Stay away from Herrera.

Cuesta Hermosa is nice if you don't mind a huge traffic jam to get out of Arroyo Hondo to the rest of the city at peak hour.

Bella Vista is excellent and even more so Los Cacicazgos (except for Anacaona, lots of robberies there).

Los Millones are nice too, especially el Millon I (west of Nunez de Caceres).

Las Praderas, Los Prados, all good.

Casa en alquiler Julieta, N/Dmt2, Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional
This place is in La Julieta, which I understand is a desirable area.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Casa en alquiler Julieta, N/Dmt2, Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional
This place is in La Julieta, which I understand is a desirable area.

Julieta is good as it is very safe. There are a few important politicians living around there by the schools and the security is second to none to anywhere I've lived elsewhere in the city. Good access everywhere also, but there is always that restricted feeling that comes with living in the city. Get's quite tight in the head sometimes.

No PM's required from me, I'll post openly, it is an advise thread after all.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have friends who lived on the "other side" just across the bridge, in Alma Rosa and was always very charmed walking around there with the small parks. I think that your odds of getting a house, or at least a town house, are a lot better over there as that seems to be more the construction that they favor.

I liked Costa Verde as well but agree that it is a small pocket next to a rough neighborhood. I liked the idea of being so close to the sea but looked at one of the apartments there and mold,, mold,.. mold..

The complex where Chiri lived is indeed quite lovely since it is low density -- well, for SD,, now,,, at only 3 floors.,. and the apartments are quite big and the greet space is very large. There is an outdoor pool for each of the buildings which makes life with children very nice.

If the issue of schools is going to crop up in the next year or so, maybe you ought to plan by picking the school and settling within walking distance?

How did you generate your list? (I ask, of course, because my beloved Gazcue is not on it!)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I have friends who lived on the "other side" just across the bridge, in Alma Rosa and was always very charmed walking around there with the small parks. I think that your odds of getting a house, or at least a town house, are a lot better over there as that seems to be more the construction that they favor.

I liked Costa Verde as well but agree that it is a small pocket next to a rough neighborhood. I liked the idea of being so close to the sea but looked at one of the apartments there and mold,, mold,.. mold..

The complex where Chiri lived is indeed quite lovely since it is low density -- well, for SD,, now,,, at only 3 floors.,. and the apartments are quite big and the greet space is very large. There is an outdoor pool for each of the buildings which makes life with children very nice.

If the issue of schools is going to crop up in the next year or so, maybe you ought to plan by picking the school and settling within walking distance?

How did you generate your list? (I ask, of course, because my beloved Gazcue is not on it!)

I looked up some offers for houses / penthouses and created the list accordingly. All I found in Gazcue was not what I am looking for. Rather too small, too old or only 'amueblado'...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
One thing I will tell you, Mike. I am a house guy too, and it's getting tougher and tougher to find one worth renting. A house with another house 2 meters away on all sides is the same thing as an apartment to me.

If you have no reason to leave the house everyday, then then houses in areas with high traffic shouldn't be an issue (other than noise)

I owned a house in Cuesta Brava for 6 years, and that was heaven. If I didn't have to travel back and forth to work every day, I'd still be there.

We work both from home. Besides shopping and school we do not need to leave... Noise and too much traffic would be an issue though...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We work both from home. Besides shopping and school we do not need to leave...
Then it is a good idea to choose the school first, and start looking at the areas around the school to avoid wasting hours driving to the school and back twice daily.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
You are not interested in Arroyo Hondo / Cuesta Hermosa?

If you are willing to spend a little bit more, lets say up to 1000-1200$/usd a month thats where i would look.

I work at home too and love it here . Only get out of the house during the day to go do the grocery and go to the gym daily, you have everything you need close to you and no traffic except during rush hours, for me living here is paradise and would never look in other parts of the city!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Mike, do you have a budget? Within x and xx ? BTW, Cuesta Hermosa is across the street from Cuesta Brava.

There are two schools (a public and a private school) at the entrance of Cuesta Brava.

Yes, max 1,000 USD, preferably less. I could pay a lot more but I don't want to work for the rent only, still want to be able to save up.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
@JD,

so I take it big changes have been made recrntly on the run into Costa Verde. Because about 5 or 6 years ago while househunting the myself, that stretch from the corner is enough to put me off the idea. If my partner and child ever had to use publ7c transport for any reason, then that would never be an option. If I ever had to leave for a few weeks, and she couldn't drive, then they'd both be stuck other than taxi everywhere.
Once past the crap of that corner area up to the first security point, it kind of reminded me of areas of the run down costa blanca of the med. And many of the house design and orientation of typical suburban Australian set ups, a bit of a mix up. I got the impression from that area we looked at, that it had or was an area of great intention and prospect, whether it just didn't quite make it, was on its way out or possibly just not my cup of tea I am unsure. But the above mentioned broke it for me, and too far out. I understand it was good at one point, that playground did oporate, and I understand they used to do donkey rides n all sort, but now................................ to each his own!

I do agree, some of the property is very nice.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lots of great neighborhoods in Arroyo Hondo.
About as quiet as you can find in the DR!
I have a huge yard, high walls,& quiet neighbors.
No condos, or apartments,....................YET!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
What about the areas close to Carretera Mella in Santo Domingo Este?

Thinking about when I want to visit Bavaro or the GF her Mom on Carretera Mella close to San Jose de los Llanos one would not have to cross the entire town first...

Btw. I take it fast Internet is available there?