Opinion about some areas please...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Lots of great neighborhoods in Arroyo Hondo.
About as quiet as you can find in the DR!
I have a huge yard, high walls,& quiet neighbors.
No condos, or apartments,....................YET!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Seen many offers in the 20 to 35 K range...

What are the recommendable neighborhoods in Arroyo Hondo? Or better are they some to better avoid? A.H. is a huge area according to Maps. Wouldn't know where to start...

SosuaEnVivo

Nov 13, 2014
caribmike, I am staying next to Mirador Norte (ciudad modelo). Reasonably safe but only take taxis at night. La Sirena is a 150 peso ride there. same for the return. ATM's, Banks and Caribe Express if you need them. Good colmados within walking distance. Mirador Norte has a gate to enter too. added security. You will want a car, a driver or a reliable taxi since it is a bit secluded. I am sitting at Super Colmado Plaza Camila now (they have a Facebook page for more info) drinking Jumbo Presidentes for 130 pesos. At night I sometimes come here for the pork sandwiches.

26e48ab7cb58ac2dc5183c2870913472.jpg

I can inquire about places to rent. I see signs on various houses and apartments but have never asked. If you speak Spanish then it will be fine but if not than I wouldn't recommend this area. If you speak Spanish and rent a car then this area is very good. Plenty of gas stations, colmados and pharmacies. Easy access to the city. I think I pay 250 pesos for a taxi to Sambil Mall and Blue Mall. Both have good restaurants and stores. Prices here are a bit high (like convienence stores back in the states) so it is not cheap here by Dominican standards. All in all, I like it here and am comfortable. I can take the bus to Boca Chica to hang out with Yayow or just relax here in "la casa". I hope this helps a little.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
@SosuaEnVivo

Thanks for the info. My wife is Dominican and I speak the language. We have a car.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Agree El Millon, Los Prados and Las Praderas are good areas to look at. We live in El Millon and I can't complain. Most everything you need is nearby ( Nunez Caceres).

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Do all the better neighborhoods in SDQ have fiber optic Internet or only a few selected?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Do all the better neighborhoods in SDQ have fiber optic Internet or only a few selected?

When I lived Autopiste San Isidro I had to check as there are blank areas with certain providers. Some very very nice places there, and money going into it. But if you go into the company they will let you see a map of what streets exactly have what and where is not active yet. I'm not sure if you can do it online, maybe.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Thought I'd already posted this but obviously not. I can't understand why you are not considering Juan Dolio, everything you want makes perfe t sense. New Juan Dolio is really nice, plenty nice specious housing. Nice stable community, very chilled out. San Pedro there for everything you need. Small drive to Boca Chica, bit more to the capital. Close access to Bavaro now.
Next to no crime, big long open clean beach, decent restaurants. Imo ticks all your boxes.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I find Juan Dolio more expensive than the capital, well at least the offers I have seen (Guyacanes?). Sister of my GF and husband living there. They are bored of it... :D

And, waay too many Gringos there for my taste ;)

Not sure reg. Internet, schools etc.

Short: Nah, not my cup of tea :D

Boca Chica as well I wouldn't want to live. GF has an aunt living there so I know the place a little bit now...

San Pedro de Macoris was an option since there also lives family from her father there. But I am not convinced. So it will be the Capital...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
When I lived Autopiste San Isidro I had to check as there are blank areas with certain providers. Some very very nice places there, and money going into it. But if you go into the company they will let you see a map of what streets exactly have what and where is not active yet. I'm not sure if you can do it online, maybe.

So, best bet to travel that road and see for myself... (?). Do any of these parts are named or residencial areas I could find in Maps?

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
They have some nice apartments here:

Santo Domingo : Dominican Republic Rentals : Apartment For Rent

in a very nice area between Autopista 30 de Mayo and Avenida Independencia west of Nunez de Caceres.

My wife's cousin stayed in a nice apartment in Las Mameyes on the east side of town. I stayed on Calle Azucenas in Los Jardines del Norte in a decent neighborhood. There are nice places squeezed in with not so nice places all over the city.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
They have some nice apartments here:

Santo Domingo : Dominican Republic Rentals : Apartment For Rent

in a very nice area between Autopista 30 de Mayo and Avenida Independencia west of Nunez de Caceres.

My wife's cousin stayed in a nice apartment in Las Mameyes on the east side of town. I stayed on Calle Azucenas in Los Jardines del Norte in a decent neighborhood. There are nice places squeezed in with not so nice places all over the city.

Thanks! :)

Nice indeed but I need minimum 3 BR 2 bathroom...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Last week we went to check out some places in Santo Domingo Este, Prado Oriental etc. some nice and affordable houses there BUT too populated and too much of a "hood" so, no thanks.

Will tour Lucerna and Urb. Italia next weekend. Hope these places are a little better.

We also went to the other side of town, Arroyo Hondo and Ciudad Modelo. Ciudad Modelo I like best so far, only a little too close to two big barrios...mmh.

Anything comparable to Cd. Modelo preferably with fiber optic in the area?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
We ditched any more looking for a place in Santo Domingo Este for the reasons mentioned in the post above and most important:
There is NO fiber optic available yet at this side of the bridge we were told... :|

Went to Bella Vista for lunch with "La doctora" after renewing residency yesterday and she took us to Bella Vista where she lives too. I must say Bella Vista is now on top of our list.

Everything is there and in walking distance :). School, Nacional and Pola, restaurants, gym, love it. Mission now finding something for less than 1000 USD there...

Any input for Bella Vista anybody?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
We went Saturday again and had a look around Bella Vista, Los Cazicazcos and Mirador Sur and seen a very nice house in Las Praderas or was it Los Prados (?). Anyways favorite is the area around Bella Vista so far. We have 4 more appointments next Saturday for Bella Vista and Mirador Sur...

Driving the Mirador Sur Avenue I've seen several areas on the other side? Buenos Aires, BA del Mirador, Honduras del Oeste, Miramar, Jardines del Sur and Cazique close to Inmigracion... Any opinion about these areas is welcome, thanks!!! :)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
From my personal experience renting in Bella Vista offers decent affordable accommodation. I'm here short term but it is clean quiet and safe and the amenities are all close at hand with the Mall having a National, all the banks and a cinema, and very close by too is a decent Pola. Huge gym too opposite Mall but pricey........told it is where to be seen exercising in SD. Chillies and a couple of other terrace restaurants in this building too.

I can only guess on your earlier visit that you would have seen plenty of signs posted on the apartments and houses in the area advertising rentals and sales.........in the area Sarasota, Helios, Selene.

What I have noted is that traffic by the Mall gets really congested before and after school time.