Playero still no clue

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
I doubt very seriously any rep/sales person can put up any display or sign without playereo management knowing
but whatever circumstance.....

if its advertised it should be honored
Manu

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Banks do accept them one day one of my dogs ripped up a 1000 peso bill in 3 pieces I took it to BHD and the exchangedit for me.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
At Sirena, that bottle of soda would not have been 44 or 50 pesos, but probably 55. But I'm just guessing, generally La Sirena is a bit more expensive then Jose Luis and Tropical. I am assuming that those two supermarkets have similar prices as Playero.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
it is not the 1 or 2 or 5 pesos. I just hate dealing with dishonest people/businessmen.

BObK

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
For a moment let's forget the 5 or 10 pesos. God knows that wouldn't make a damn bit of difference to anybody posting or reading on this site...
Let's instead focus on the cavalier attitude of the customer service people, who will happily snear at you as if to say you're an idiot who probably shouldn't have come in to bother them in the first place........THAT is what makes a person's blood pressure soar to high heaven.
Good grief, just reading the post puts me back in the grocery store in El Cortecito (forget the name) where the woman sat on her fat a$$, never smiled, never looked at her clients and was always just as nasty as nasty could be. Year after year after year.......Go figure.
And don't get me started on the issue of the tears in banknotes.........

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
This is not about mainland expectations, it is about a store the rips people off and does not care. Doctor BobK has been here long enough to know and understand the culture. He donates his time performing free medical care for the locals.

I agree with his assessment of Playero. His example is one of many that could be posted about Playero. I go there only on occasion to get some unique things they might offer, but do most of my shopping elsewhere.

In that case he should stick to his principles in the future and shop at his local colmado.
I like Playero's selection and think it is better than La Sirena and convenient for Sosua residents.
If I want to save money I can shop the way that Dominicans do.
Living in the DR one should not expect and offshore business model, it will not happen in the near future!
It is what it is.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I doubt very seriously any rep/sales person can put up any display or sign without playereo management knowing
but whatever circumstance.....

if its advertised it should be honored
Manu

You have more confidence in over-eager product vendors than I do.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I've linked this thread in a message to the owners of Playero. Since they can't observe every transaction, they appreciate being informed when there are reports on dr1 by customers who have had a bad experience.

It is unfortunate, but maybe human nature, to blame the entire organization when an employee makes an error, regardless of the efforts of management to make their business as error free as possible.

I spend $300 on groceries and while shopping knocked a shot glass of a shelf.
At the check out they charged me for the glass.
This cost would be absorbed by a US or CAN business, however the employees have no clue.
As Playero caters to expats the owners should educate their staff on expat expectations of customer service!
The pricing would merit this. Will it happen.... we'll see.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Bob,
I have 20+ years working with/alongside Dominicans. Look at this from a different perspective.

Like most local grocery stores, young people are working there in most positions. It's great to see kids that have the work ethic to get out and make some money legitimately, no?

I'm confident they don't go through a training class at Playero on how to cheat customers. And... they really don't have evil intent to defraud you.

These kids have likely seldom seen an example of good customer service in their lives. They deal with Orange, Claro, local pharmacies, etc, etc. They're for the most part not the best educated, and probably making about 6000-8000 pesos a month. They work all month for what you or I will drop in cash on a few day's groceries.

Yes, Playero could train them better. However, speaking from experience, it at times can be like herding cats to try to keep employees here focused in spite of training efforts.

These people work hard. They stay busy at that store. The registers are always running, the bag boys are always busy. The stock clerks keep the shelves well stocked, there's ample well-organized parking, and the store is clean. Sure, they're not up to first world customer service standards. But overall they do a damm good job if you ask me... and certainly better than any store in the immediate area.

Anyone venting their frustrations at the 17 or 18 year old clerk at the register and walking away without purchasing anything is teaching no one a lesson other than that some gringos get pizzed easily. Always better to take such an issue to the owners, especially when you can at Playero. Unlike having no ultimate power to appeal to at Orange, La Sirena, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2007
I have said this before on dr1, but I am very happy with Playero, the store and the service. To accomplish what they have in this country is commendable.

Nothing is perfect here in this country. Employees pose a constant challenge. Haven't any of you had issues over simple things with your maid? And that was only one person. I don't know how many people Playero employs, but imagine your challenges with your maid compounded many, many times. These are not rocket scientists stocking shelves, working cash registers, bagging groceries, and standing at the front. They are bottom rung employees. They need constant supervision, constant reminders of policies and practices. Problem solving for them is difficult. They are different then those in similar positions in first world countries.

Instead of focusing and complaining about what is wrong, let's look at all that is well done, better than the other local options. And if you have a complaint, I bet is much more readily solved if you go through the process the owner has already made available. Be sure to put your name and phone number on the complaint, or it can never be rectified.

We come to this country to live because it is NOT like our home country. In doing so, we should accept that not everything will be as perfect as at "home," but if we keep our focus on what is better than "home," life will be so much more enjoyable.

Lindsey

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
The will be in deep water when the new la Sirena opens ...
Competition can't hurt, but La Sirena in Puerto Plata very frequently overcharge at the tills or fail to honor prices (especially special offers) advertised. Sometimes they undercharge, though that's a rarity.

When I do a weekly shop of 40 to 50 items there will always be one overcharged (on average). I do not have Bob K's moral fibre and campaigning zeal, and it would cost me more to return to the store and complain, so I always let it slide.

It is just another invisible tax for living in a disfunctional country and trivial compared with what other crooks like Edenorte extort.

I just smile and focus on the advantages of living here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
been to playero once only. much bigger than i expected. great selection in bakery section. but alas, they had no sauerkraut i was looking for...

anyway, torn money. as a business owner (until not too long ago) i can only confirm that banks do accept torn money and damaged notes, including a missing corner, providing there is no damage to the right hand part where the serial number is (no missing piece of that). we used to accept damaged notes and shove them in the bottom of the till, that would go directly to the bank and not circulate with customers.

i agree with bobk. this is not about 5 pesos. this is about principles. anyone from the UK here? you remember the policy in tesco? if you are charged more per item than its shelf value you get your money back and the item is free. now, this is god damn customer care!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Torn Money

As a survivor of the Check Cashing business, I can assure that banks accept torn money.
We called it "Mud Money".

In fact, they want it back to take it out of circulation.....even the taped together ones.

Our clientele , even though poor had a surprising disregard for money and its care..... but RD takes the cake.
I've never seen such a disregard for a piece of paper money ..... scrunched into nothing -a little ball.

Amazing that money survives for more than a month.....

Some may know that Canada has a $5 bill as its smallest paper money...... $1 and $2's are coins...... last considerably longer and are a seamstress's dream....

The bottoms fall out of your pocket VERY frequently...... always $7-9 in there = heavy.

The piggy banks cough up HUGE amounts of dough...... a coin counting machine's dream !!

Staying on topic ---- I never have problems in Playero..... AND, I ripped a bill taking it out of my money clip one day.
The girl and I taped it together and checked out....... laughing at my ineptitude while I tried to convince that 500 pesos just became 1000...... no go, Josefina

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Go back 20 years ago. NO Playero. We went down the street to different venders and haggled over price. NO imported "crap" at all and we learned a simple and more better way to eat.

Influx of DEMANDING Gringo's brought stores like Playero in and they HAVE responsed to the Gringo demand and have CHANGED how Dominicans shop and eat. The small stands/stalls are just about gone BUT we have WHAT YOU AND OTHER GINGOS want. A store from North America and with that comes the prices.

Ripped off? Go find the few little sheds with fresh veg. and fruit. A very few outback butchers with good prices and product.

YOU're just plain spoiled and now that GRINGO prices have taken over..... just like the GRINGOS have. Now you don't like it.

I know that I don't.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Come to Cabrera...... small stalls abound ..... or RSJ or Gaspar Hernandez..... or Nagua....

Its not endemic......

But I can agree - you must have seen a lot of change over 20 yrs.... not good

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Playero Suggestion/Complaint Box

In case anyone has missed it, the suggestion/request/complaint box is on the wall just where you start through the aisle with the turnstile. There is the box, there is also paper and pen. On the box it says your opinion is important to us. True, it is in Spanish, but such simple Spanish than anyone who shops there should have no trouble understanding the message (tu opinion es importante).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Go back 20 years ago. NO Playero. We went down the street to different venders and haggled over price. NO imported "crap" at all and we learned a simple and more better way to eat.

Influx of DEMANDING Gringo's brought stores like Playero in and they HAVE responsed to the Gringo demand and have CHANGED how Dominicans shop and eat. The small stands/stalls are just about gone BUT we have WHAT YOU AND OTHER GINGOS want. A store from North America and with that comes the prices.

Ripped off? Go find the few little sheds with fresh veg. and fruit. A very few outback butchers with good prices and product.

YOU're just plain spoiled and now that GRINGO prices have taken over..... just like the GRINGOS have. Now you don't like it.

I know that I don't.

True, there is something to be said about how it used to be. But I wouldn't trade what we have now for what we had then.

My wife and I got to Samana on our sailboat at the beginning of 1986. Shopping options were small colmados and the farmers' market. Fruit, vegetables and meat were bought at the farmers' market or from a small stand off the main street. The chicken we bought was hanging from strings, flies always in the air. The meat was cut off a carcass.

Selection of fruit and vegetables was good, everything else very limited.

At least once a month we would make the 2-hour trip, each way, to San Francisco de Macoris to shop in the small supermarket for things not available in Samana.

I can reminisce about how it used to be, but have absolutely no desire to live that way again.

For those who prefer that way of life, there are still opportunities to buy the basics from colmados and meat from a small butcher who has carcasses to cut your beef from and chickens sharing air space with flies. But that is not for me.