Playero still no clue

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Shopping took time but was FUN! Trucks daily coming to our place with FRESH vegys and fruit. Fish guy every other day and live chickens in a truck twice a week. All done how we wanted. 1/4 of what we pay today and it was FRESH.

Bought pigs and other meat, done in and ready for our butcher to finish. 1/4 of todays prices and FARM fresh.

But times change and "progress" for GRINGOS and new ways and items to eat enter the Market and so the prices go up to meet the demand and it the Gringos will pay what ever for "it" being in front of them.

This is NOT a rant about Playero... I like them but I EXPECT TO PAY. It is an observation about how things have changed, as they do and the only ones that go with it and make that happen are those that keep paying the prices. But if you don't like the change.... then get off your butt and find other sources. Key words?

GET OFF YOUR BUTT!

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
This is NOT a rant about Playero... I like them but I EXPECT TO PAY

the advertised price!

I like playero ,great selection on german things I miss and they do have sauerkraut

and I also know its not the cashier or baggers fault updating the prices in their system

but there is always some keyperson running around to override things,I seen it happen lol

so again
no excuse for false advertising
Manu

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Now we are going from bad to worse. You know zilch about the circumstances. You don't know who put up the display, whether it was Playero or the Pepsi salesman, you don't know if the computer programers for Playero had been notified that the display, with the sign, was up, you don't know if product sales people are supposed to put us sale signs until the Playero people have given the ok, you are just shooting off your mouth and making accusations without knowing zilch abut the circumstances. Is this the way that you conduct all your activities in life?

Regarding posting a perceived problem on DR1, I have no objection to that. All I am saying is that besides posting a rant on DR! they should try to also inform store management.

as long as it is Playero that takes the customers' money, they are responsible for the transaction. who cares who put up the display? if i buy a pair of pants at a store, and when i get home there is a hole in the pocket, can the store owner tell me that he did not make the pants, and so it is not incumbent upon him to refund me, since it is a manufacturing fault? he has to refund me, and take up the matter with the supplier. the customer has no responsibility to visit the problem upon the manufacturer.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Shopping took time but was FUN! Trucks daily coming to our place with FRESH vegys and fruit. Fish guy every other day and live chickens in a truck twice a week. All done how we wanted. 1/4 of what we pay today and it was FRESH.

Bought pigs and other meat, done in and ready for our butcher to finish. 1/4 of todays prices and FARM fresh.

But times change and "progress" for GRINGOS and new ways and items to eat enter the Market and so the prices go up to meet the demand and it the Gringos will pay what ever for "it" being in front of them.

This is NOT a rant about Playero... I like them but I EXPECT TO PAY. It is an observation about how things have changed, as they do and the only ones that go with it and make that happen are those that keep paying the prices. But if you don't like the change.... then get off your butt and find other sources. Key words?

GET OFF YOUR BUTT!

it can easily be done. i almost burst out laughing when i went into a supermarket and saw white yautia neatly wrapped in a styrofoam plate , with saran wrap; 45 pesos per lb! i get it in the market for 25.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I was going to start a thread about Absolute vodka at Playero.

The 1.75 liter bottle is priced at about 1800rd but if you look at the price for a 1 liter and a .75 liter bottle of absolute vodka you can buy both for about 1400 rd so they are charging 400rd or about $10 more for buying the big bottle

I don't even want to talk about the price of lemons these days but at least I have some

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Isn't meat always cut off a carcass?

Yes it is. But I much prefer buying my meat from the supermarket than from fellows like this, which is how it was in those days.

The photo is recent. People like him still in business for this who yearn the old days.

Attachments

• Here Is The Beef.jpg
    Here Is The Beef.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 67
Dec 26, 2011
Yes it is. But I much prefer buying my meat from the supermarket than from fellows like this, which is how it was in those days.

The photo is recent. People like him still in business for this who yearn the old days.

That's how we buy it. Fresher and cheaper. And we get the eggs and chicken from the pollera.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This photo also recent, showing there are still options for those who yearn for the old days or detest shopping in supermarkets. And this guy's operation is many times more sanitary than where I used to buy meat in the "good old days".Farmers Market.jpg

What you did in those days was to always have a big supply of the small green limes. When you got your meat home, you immediately started wiping thoroughly with he cut limes so that the acid in the limes would kill the bacteria adhering to the meat.

You had a choice when you bought chicken. You could buy the whole chicken and butcher it yourself or pay the vendor a little more to cut off the head and gut the chicken. we always did the latter.

When you think about it, I suppose there really isn't all that much difference between today and then, but I much prefer now.

Regarding the price difference between then and now, I wonder how much difference there really is if you don't include all the extra taxes that the government has imposed. You pay a lot more pesos now than then, but you get a lot more pesos for your dollar. When we got to Samana, the rate of exchange was about 2 to 1, so prices were very low if you compare only pesos paid then with now. I would be interested in knowing how 1 peso then, for example, compares with 20 pesos now.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That's how we buy it. Fresher and cheaper. And we get the eggs and chicken from the pollera.

Yes, fresher and cheaper. Also more work.

The good thing is that vendors like these are more sanitation conscious today than they were 20+ years ago. Not as many flies and smells today as then.

But having done that for many years, I prefer going to the supermarket, bringing home a package of ground beef like i did late this afternoon, and cooking it for supper without having to first clean the meat and then grind it. Even if I end up paying a little more.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
You have more confidence in over-eager product vendors than I do.

over eager vendor ?

I had more confidence in playero management
...I cant even touch an avocado without somebody looking over my shoulder to see if I put a dent in it
or nor do I dare to taste a grape without repercussions lol
Manu

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012

....And there is no extra charge for the tenderization of the pointed end of that side of beef........done gratis by that little doggy chewing on it for a couple of hours. (lol)
Where is that anyway? The crossroad in La Otra Banda?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I am very happy to have Playero in the town where we live. Once we moved here, it didn't take long to realize that we could not expect North American service and selection in this country but Playero comes pretty close.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
really? if you miss the good ole days of buying from street vendors knock yourself out, there's still plenty of them out there. i like to shop for everything in one place because i am lazy. i don't want to spend all day driving from carnicero to frutero to pescadero and whatnot. i have other things to do.

i think that all this longing for the past comes from people who did nothing of that sort. because they had wives and/or maids to do the job of shopping the old way, washing the old way, cooking the old way and doing everything else. i appreciate today, thank you very much.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Bob,
I have 20+ years working with/alongside Dominicans. Look at this from a different perspective.

Like most local grocery stores, young people are working there in most positions. It's great to see kids that have the work ethic to get out and make some money legitimately, no?

I'm confident they don't go through a training class at Playero on how to cheat customers. And... they really don't have evil intent to defraud you.

These kids have likely seldom seen an example of good customer service in their lives. They deal with Orange, Claro, local pharmacies, etc, etc. They're for the most part not the best educated, and probably making about 6000-8000 pesos a month. They work all month for what you or I will drop in cash on a few day's groceries.

Yes, Playero could train them better. However, speaking from experience, it at times can be like herding cats to try to keep employees here focused in spite of training efforts.

These people work hard. They stay busy at that store. The registers are always running, the bag boys are always busy. The stock clerks keep the shelves well stocked, there's ample well-organized parking, and the store is clean. Sure, they're not up to first world customer service standards. But overall they do a damm good job if you ask me... and certainly better than any store in the immediate area.

Anyone venting their frustrations at the 17 or 18 year old clerk at the register and walking away without purchasing anything is teaching no one a lesson other than that some gringos get pizzed easily. Always better to take such an issue to the owners, especially when you can at Playero. Unlike having no ultimate power to appeal to at Orange, La Sirena, etc, etc.

I am not talking about the check out kid as I agree with you. I am talking about the manager and by connection the management team and owners. They are the ones that set the "tone"

Bob K

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am not talking about the check out kid as I agree with you. I am talking about the manager and by connection the management team and owners. They are the ones that set the "tone"

Bob K

I think you missed whatI think was the real message by CFA123: "These people work hard. They stay busy at that store. The registers are always running, the bag boys are always busy. The stock clerks keep the shelves well stocked, there's ample well-organized parking, and the store is clean. Sure, they're not up to first world customer service standards. But overall they do a damm good job if you ask me... and certainly better than any store in the immediate area."

Do you suppose this all came about by accident or was a gift of God? Of course not.

Get over your rant and recognize there is some good work being done at Playero by the manager and management team. May not be perfect, but show me a business that employes a large number of people that always functions perfectly.

If I am not mistaken, you were a professional and not the manager of a large group of people. I was, and that may be why I see things differently than you do. I know how difficult it is to keep all the employees on the same page and working up to my expectations.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
No ken you missed my point. I am not talking about all the hard working people at the store or the stocked shelves, or the variety of items. I am talking about MANAGEMENT and how they treat customers.
Any way enough on this. They continue to ignore customer service and that is just the way it is. Good or bad.

Bob K

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
MORE DISGUSTING CUSTOMER SERVICE AT PLAYERO
I went there to use their kiosk to put 200 pesos in my friend's phone. I only had a 500 peso note. I went to the cashier and asked for change, it was not crowded and she clearly had the bills in her cash drawer. She said no and sent me to the next cashier over. I quit after 4 no's and left in disgust. It seems that whenever I need any service, from the cashier to the manager (with whom I dealt in the affor mentioned soda incident) the default and automatic answer is NO

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
MORE DISGUSTING CUSTOMER SERVICE AT PLAYERO
I went there to use their kiosk to put 200 pesos in my friend's phone. I only had a 500 peso note. I went to the cashier and asked for change, it was not crowded and she clearly had the bills in her cash drawer. She said no and sent me to the next cashier over. I quit after 4 no's and left in disgust. It seems that whenever I need any service, from the cashier to the manager (with whom I dealt in the affor mentioned soda incident) the default and automatic answer is NO

Sad. That is actually two different companies that displayed bad service. First the phone company and then Playero.