Plaza Restauracion, Santiago RD$ 1.3 billion

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
The beauty of Santiago lies in its people and "pace of life" along with lifestyle, (if you can afford it).
Aesthetically, I would not call Santiago "beautiful" but many aspects of the city are. A brief visit could never capture the magic of the city as its magic is revealed gradually and grows on you. That said, I do not see the city as a tourist destination as there are limitations to the cities offerings (for tourists).

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
I agree with Santiagodude that the beauty of Santiago lies in its people, but honestly the city to me is one of the most beautiful of the country, in my opinion none of the other urban settlements in the island have the beauty that Santiago posses, with the huge mountains surrounding the city and the the nice neighborhoods organized and well cleaned. This not to metion that the valley itself in my opinion is beautiful, and the whole province is very diverse and beautiful with green mountains and some of the nicest rivers I've seen.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Here are some visual aids. the city of Santiago, I really doubt most other small cities like PP have such an urban appeal.

1380049_10201630837326373_478339588_n.jpg

1380260_10201668102177971_1452196638_n.jpg

994928_10201631236976364_591500682_n.jpg

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Now how would the previous pictures look if they were not filtered and retouched?
I see those images live everyday and the "clean" vibrant colors/images just aren't there.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Now how would the previous pictures look if they were not filtered and retouched?
I see those images live everyday and the "clean" vibrant colors/images just aren't there.

I see those vibrant colours in certain areas when I drive in Santiago. I was on the road to Tamboril last week and saw many vibrant and new buildings, and I have been shopping on calle de sol two Saturdays in a row and passed to some areas that are pretty beat up but also some nice clean modern areas.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I see those vibrant colours in certain areas when I drive in Santiago. I was on the road to Tamboril last week and saw many vibrant and new buildings, and I have been shopping on calle de sol two Saturdays in a row and passed to some areas that are pretty beat up but also some nice clean modern areas.

I will try to post a 1080p video coming across that bridge into the city soon.

My only problem with the posted pictures above was the filtering and possible retouching to make them look that good.

Or perhaps I should see my eye doctor and have filters put on my glasses so I can live a more vibrant colorful life.

Calle Del Sol? Filthy!

2qnz61g.jpg

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

My only problem with the posted pictures above was the filtering and possible retouching to make them look that good.

Or perhaps I should see my eye doctor and have filters put on my glasses so I can live a more vibrant colorful life.

Calle Del Sol? Filthy!

2qnz61g.jpg

I wasn't talking about calle de sol , but about the routes coming and going.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Calle Del Sol? Filthy!

2qnz61g.jpg

there is nothing wrong with your eyesight. that is all photoshop you are looking at. i like Santiago a lot, but it sure does not look anything like those photos.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Here are some visual aids. the city of Santiago, I really doubt most other small cities like PP have such an urban appeal.

1380049_10201630837326373_478339588_n.jpg

Lower left of this first picture: is that skeletal building scarring the landscape for the last 8 years one of your badly needed super shopping malls? Oh! Bellas Artes. Could have finished that one . . .

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I wasn't talking about calle de sol , but about the routes coming and going.

The best 3 views I have seen, with my eyes, not a photograph, in the D.R. are:

(1) The panarama view of La Vega from the hills.
(2) The panarama view from Camp David.
(3) The beauty of the homes at "Alpes"(sp) on the way to Jarabacoa.

... and just for you Bob, Jarabacoa!

2mgkw2a.jpg

Photo taken by me

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Imao, those are all panoramic pictures, wtf, Santiago does look like that, last time I checked these pictures weren't taken in Mars, but in SANTIAGO. Just because most of you never get to stop and look at these views o the city doesn't mean that's not Santiago. Here's a video by the same guy who took the pictures.

Maybe the video was Photoshop too.
[video=youtube;2ESZub3t6BU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ESZub3t6BU[/video]

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The best 3 views I have seen, with my eyes, not a photograph, in the D.R. are:

(1) The panarama view of La Vega from the hills.
(2) The panarama view from Camp David.
(3) The beauty of the homes at "Alpes"(sp) on the way to Jarabacoa.

... and just for you Bob, Jarabacoa!

2mgkw2a.jpg

Photo taken by me

The views from Paso Bajito, between Jarabacoa and Constanza
The area between Manabao and the end of the road heading up to trailhead to Pico Duarte, mainly the river and small farms.
I really like the old buildings that have been restored or preserved in the Colonial district in Santo Domingo, as well as various other cities like Azua, San Cristobal, Mao. To me they have a timeless beauty that is enhanced by age stains...etc.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
1380260_10201668102177971_1452196638_n.jpg

God's View vs Street Level View, the "squeaky clean" church in the photo:

2qv7gap.jpg

Fist of all I think You're confused the church that comes up in the original picture I posted is the Santiago Apostol, which has been renovated and looks really nice, the one you posted is la Altagracia church which you can barely see in the picture I posted. Again, is understood that someone who might not know the city well will get confused over what is what.

This is the cathedral that's in the picture, Santiago apostol:
catedral-santiago-apostol-de-santiago.jpg

Now here's a non low quality blackaberry picture of la Altagracia church, which was the one you posted

1480769_10201983574424580_642608294_n.jpg

19813401.jpg

Last edited:

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Again just because a picture of the city is not a low quality blackberry one, doesn't mean that's not how Santiago looks like you guys are implying. My fist post was responding to harleysrock who wanted to see what's beautiful about Santiago, so I will post street view pictures of the nicer and cleaner places, not of run down cienfuegos, if that's what some of you are expecting.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Fist of all I think You're confused the church that comes up in the original picture I posted is the Santiago Apostol, which has been renovated and looks really nice, the one you posted is la Altagracia church which you can barely see in the picture I posted. Again, is understood that someone who might not know the city well will get confused over what is what.

No confusion......

Point is, what one sees in a wide angle panarama view does not show the true facts.
I am well aware of both churches, and know the other one is newly re-modeled.(They took forever doing it) When driving I make the turn onto Calle Del Sol from Antonio Guzman after coming over the bridge, thus the dash cam does not get a good view of Santiago Apostol.

Street views tell more of the true picture.

Gurabo444 said:
so I will post street view pictures of the nicer and cleaner places, not of run down cienfuegos

By selecting what to show and not show (Cienfuego, etc) one does not get a true feeling of all of Santiago. For instance, the aerial view pictures you posted of greater Santiago does not show the conditions in the streets which one would have to pass through. I doubt folks will be flying in a personal helicopter. And btw, Cienfuego and other such areas is part of life, bypassing them distorts the true Dominican Republic. One should experience the Good, the bad and the ugly.

Ugly is beautiful in it's own way.

I like Santiago very, very much, it's a great city, but I won't sugar coat it and show only pictures that hide all views you see in person.

Show the people hanging out in the park next to the church.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
BTW, they found a dead body (woman I believe) in that park across from la Altagracia church a couple years ago or so.