Plaza Restauracion, Santiago RD$ 1.3 billion

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here are some visual aids. the city of Santiago, I really doubt most other small cities like PP have such an urban appeal.

1380049_10201630837326373_478339588_n.jpg

Lower left of this first picture: is that skeletal building scarring the landscape for the last 8 years one of your badly needed super shopping malls? Oh! Bellas Artes. Could have finished that one . . .
That's a convention center that has been under construction for ages.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
No confusion......

Point is, what one sees in a wide angle panarama view does not show the true facts.
I am well aware of both churches, and know the other one is newly re-modeled.(They took forever doing it) When driving I make the turn onto Calle Del Sol from Antonio Guzman after coming over the bridge, thus the dash cam does not get a good view of Santiago Apostol.

Street views tell more of the true picture.

By selecting what to show and not show (Cienfuego, etc) one does not get a true feeling of all of Santiago. For instance, the aerial view pictures you posted of greater Santiago does not show the conditions in the streets which one would have to pass through. I doubt folks will be flying in a personal helicopter. And btw, Cienfuego and other such areas is part of life, bypassing them distorts the true Dominican Republic. One should experience the Good, the bad and the ugly.

Ugly is beautiful in it's own way.

I like Santiago very, very much, it's a great city, but I won't sugar coat it and show only pictures that hide all views you see in person.

Show the people hanging out in the park next to the church.

The thing you have to understand is that this not a "Santiago know it and see it all" thread, I already told you, I posted those pictures in reply to the poster harleysrock, go back and read what we were discussing. He wanted to see the beauty of Santiago, thus I posted some of the most beautiful shots, if someones asks you to show them the most beautiful chicks in town you're not going to bring the ugly ones are you? He didn't ask me to show him every aspect of Santiago, he didn't ask me that he wanted a whole documentary of Santiago with its GOOD AND BAD so he can have a feel of all Santiago, no the guy ask that he wanted to see "the beauty of the city and province" for god's sake. Is not like I'm showing him pictures of the middle and upper class parts of the city, I could have easily done that.

IMAO you're kidding me right? these pictures are areal view? personal helicopter? tell me you're kidding, all those pictures were taken from ground level,many of those views you can get from the Monument, and I'm not talking about going to last floor of the monument, just getting in the top of the small hill and vuala you can see those views, the night shot was from camp david, none of those pictures were taken from a helicopter lol. Now I wonder what a first time visitor to the city or a tourist will most likely do, go to go to the monument and see all those panoramic views of the city, or go out of their way to the other side of the citu, to Cienfuegos to get a true feel of the city. lol

Here's a video of what you call aerial pictures lol.
[video=youtube;QfDIOMJ_JR0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDIOMJ_JR0[/video]

Last edited:

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Here are some shots of a part of the province few people ever get to see, here are pictures of the towns of Janico and Juncalito.

4930398939_7586ecb019_b.jpg

4930395557_38a87a83d2_b.jpg

4930993142_9478e80a2d_b.jpg

4930997160_e0405f0ddc_b.jpg

Last edited:

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Here are some shots of a part of the province few people ever get to see, here are pictures of the towns of Janico and Juncalito.

Been there, done that.

Beautiful view of the hills from out there and continuing on to San Jose de la Martas(sp).
Gotta love the electric pole that is in the roadway the other side of town. I used to travel there and many other places on a motorbike.

Aerial view I refer to shots from above that do not show the daily day to day view of a place, like the streets, the people, the establishments.... The ones that are a little closer up look so sterile and staged. It's the D.R., get some Dominicans in the pictures. Everywhere I go in the D.R. there are people everywhere.

The pictures you posted are very nice.

OK I've thought about this and I have to agree it is probably one of the nicest Cities in The DR that I have been to. I am not a fan of POP, can't stand going there!

I was more comparing it to cities in the world I have been to and other tourist destinations which is maybe not fair. I still think it is a gong show there but that is probably it's appeal to some.
I LOVE big cities but not so much the ones in this Country. The pollution,driving and garbage is what I have the most problem with I guess. It just isn't relaxing to be there.

I will do some tourist stuff in the actual city the next few times I go :) Before I lived here I liked Santiago more.