Please help abandoned Santiago children

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
Thank you for your post and for visiting the kids. Please tell them I am thinking of them and working hard here in Syracuse New York on fundraising to help them.
Stevi

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Thank you for your post and for visiting the kids. Please tell them I am thinking of them and working hard here in Syracuse New York on fundraising to help them.
Stevi

I am in NJ. Please let me know how I can help.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Faculty meeting got in the way. I will be going over there this morning if at all possible. SantiagueroRD was there the other day, but I haven't heard back from him...
My guy is there now fixing a leak in the water tank. I found out that the cistern has a crack in it and is losing water, so that is why their water bill is over 3000 a month! Of course! So I think we have a solution for that, we'll see if it works.

HB

HB, you owe me a PM with the info I requested last week.

Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mitch!! I thought I answered you! I had better go back and check my PM files....Sorry...Classes and those darned "meetings"...TTYL this morning.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When I was there yesterday, we found out that some clumsy workers walked on the outlet pipe !!!! from the water tank, and that was why it was leaking. FIXED.

Today, the stopped up sewer connection, FIXED.

The hair washing station: We are working on it!

Connection of Inverter and batteries: We are still about 100 dollars short. Just about 1/2 hour ago one guy comes in and peels off a pair of Dominican Blue Bills (RD$4,000) and says:"Get to work in the wiring! What could I say but: "Yessir!"

So let's get it done...

Photos. I need a better photog than me to get the pictures. I sent a picture of our blackboard to Wud and if Wud cud he wud.

TTYL,

HB

1z6sjfl.jpg

here is the pic HB wanted me to upload

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just got another note!! One more great help...many thanks...much appreciated....Not authorized to say who but it is a working person, not one with a trust fund. Just "people".

This is a long term project. We are just picking up pieces (Thanks Wud!!) and getting the kids to school.
Today a guy bought half a dozen frozen chickens!!

But long term we have to think about building a large place for this institution. Long term a place that can house volunteers, provide a safe haven and training site for these and many more children.

Current expenses are in the neighborhood of between US$2,300 and US$2,600 a month for the 22 kids and three employees (none of whom rides to work in a personal vehicle). They all take public cars and walk...2,000 meals a month, water, lights, sanitation, hygiene, just take your kids and multiply...it is scary...

Okay, time to get to work...Later gators..

HB

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, I just got back from the new Micro orphanage which is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooo smalllllll. The same guy HB mentioned with the chickens also took several feet of salamis (which is what they wanted) 4 gallons of juice and 40 assorted packs of chips. My daughter and I made a four sguare court on the car port which is all they had room for. Sorry we could not do more.

May 29, 2006
Here is a simple game they can make for the kids. I first saw in a bar and made one for a summer camp and it was a big hit. For about $3 worth of parts and 10 minutes of work, it's a great little project and will keep the kids busy for hours:

ring and hook game - YouTube

I just hung the ring from an 8' ceiling about 6' away from the hook with the hook at the kids' eye level. Use strong non-stretchy cord. If the cord is slightly too long, just put a know or two in the line. It tends to stretch with use.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, Can anyone give a couple of giant fans or maybe a blower like Stanley makes. The blower is small but puts out a lot of air. Boat guys and painters use them. The drastically overcrowded house is stifling hot and is miserable for the kids. If anyone has any other ideas except A/C because of the power bill feel free to try and make at least this aspect of their life bearable. I am leaving for a week but when I come back I will do what I can. Also I am worried that the staff who don't make hardly anything may start leaving because as HB mentioned they have to take at least two conchos then walk a very long way twice a day. This was pointedly told both to me and HB. This could be a real game breaker.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hey HB and santiaguero,
When can I go with you guys, when I'm not working of course. Dont know much of what I could do at this moment except give of myself as I will be financially strapped until December and all of the donations that I have are Maternity/Hospital stuff.
Let me know either way. If I can also post anything on my Facebook or my Organizations Facebook, let me know.

SHALENA

P.S. I have 5 cheap box fans that I sent with my stuff, you can have them once I buy the KDK ceiling fans (I have 8 to buy!) and a couple of oscillating fans for my house but that may be another month or so. Hopefully there will be another solution until then

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: FANS

There are fans in the rooms and in the main rooms. What SantiagueroRD is suggesting sounds like something to get more air circulating in the bedrooms. I agree.

Shalena, that would be magnificent. Any time Monday before 3:30 or Friday after 11:eek:o a.m. I can get you and show you the place.

RE: Ringo's question.
Recent talks with Stevie have informed me that the collection church (Brady?) sends Stevie the tax forms and a check once a month. Everything is approved before hand. We get permission from the board of directors. Like when I realized that ALL of the houses around the place had water tanks on the roof, a little light went off, and we got a water tank installed, that is filled from the street and feeds only the house, not the cistern.

This is not major stuff.

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks HB, I will call you next Monday. I get home in 3 days but Friday taking the kids to POP to the resort for the weekend.

SHALENA

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I just donated via Paypal and see they have not yet reached their target.

I encourage any and all to help such a great cause!

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
Thanks

You all rock!! Thanks for helping these kids. I feel so helpless being so far away right now but just got another article in a local paper and am scheduled to present to rotary. i also have a container shipment in the works.
I am there in heart and doing what I can from here.
please hug the kids from me and my girls. Stevi

I have started a list of "stuff" to take to the kids and have sent it to H.B.

Lots of large and heavy things that may not work for the kids BUT can be sold... even if only a few pesos on the dollar.

I will wait to see IF H.B. wants this "stuff". Somethings may not be worth loading up and transporting. He knows best.

Anyone with anything "stuff" IN THE SOSUA AREA, that think that they have stuff that would help the kids or can be sold; please contact H.B. and/or me. I can pick larger items in our area.

Thanks. Ringo

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ringo, cbmitch9,expat and others are helping. Amazing stuff, and it will be good. We have some people that are actually FEEDING the kids meat!! Yes, they go out and buy 5 or 6 chickens and this is food for the kids...

Those of you that have a couple of kids in the house (or 4 like Shalena) multiply by 11 or by 5.2 and calculate your expenditures. Factor in that 18 are girls.....Oh man!

I just got the hair washing station finished. Now to decide on the inverter issue. This could be a major project. If we could install that monster 7 kilo inverter they could run the whole darn house!! But we have to figure the collateral costs, too. What it will cost to keep all those batteries charged.

Oh well, we'll keep going.

Do reach into your pocket, give up a few "frias" and help these kids...the next frias will taste even better.

HB

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I asked you in a PM recently but maybe it slipped: Are the orphans all girls? So no need for boy clothes then?In that case I'll just load up my paypal and donate some...

Ringo, cbmitch9,expat and others are helping. Amazing stuff, and it will be good. We have some people that are actually FEEDING the kids meat!! Yes, they go out and buy 5 or 6 chickens and this is food for the kids...

Those of you that have a couple of kids in the house (or 4 like Shalena) multiply by 11 or by 5.2 and calculate your expenditures. Factor in that 18 are girls.....Oh man!

I just got the hair washing station finished. Now to decide on the inverter issue. This could be a major project. If we could install that monster 7 kilo inverter they could run the whole darn house!! But we have to figure the collateral costs, too. What it will cost to keep all those batteries charged.

Oh well, we'll keep going.

Do reach into your pocket, give up a few "frias" and help these kids...the next frias will taste even better.

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.