Popeyes chicken

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Is this a sign that Dominicans will join @CristoRey as far as the best chicken place compared to KFC?

This couple tried Popeyes on its inauguration date and some of the things they point out:

- The chicken is not dripping in cooking oil unlike in KFC.
- They like the taste of the chicken. She perceives Popeyes chicken feels more natural.
- She says Popeyes french fries are now her favorite.
- No complaint about prices.

I have a feeling their visits to KFC are now a thing of the past. If their opinion is what will be of most Dominicans that taste Popeyes, this could be the beginning of the end for KFC DR. lol

Reactions: AlaPlaya

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Is this a sign that Dominicans will join @CristoRey as far as the best chicken place compared to KFC?

This couple tried Popeyes on its inauguration date and some of the things they point out:

- They like the taste of the chicken. She perceives Popeyes chicken feels more natural.

I have a feeling their visits to KFC are now a thing of the past. If their opinion is what will be of most Dominicans that taste Popeyes, this could be the beginning of the end for KFC DR. lol

KFC is a mastodon in the country. So far, their growth has been with low prices and affordable specials (with average meals around 7-15USD) since post-covid (they were one of the few franchises that didn't struggle during covid times) ... but their quality has been a downturn for many Dominicans in urban areas ever since. And Dominicans when it goes to flavors and quality, they do really notice.

Btw, all of sudden, KFC started triggering last minute deals (35% off) since Popeyes opened.

This will be a little battle between the two for a couple of months.

Reactions: AlaPlaya and NALs

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Chicken "dripping" in grease is a training and experience deficiency. It will come together just like any new launch. Don't forget these employees must be exhausted based on those insane lines around the block.

Big

Apr 24, 2019

the difficult part for me would be to find a lady that would accompany me to such a culinary extravaganza. Sitting in a fast-food joint inhaling air grease is an aphrodisiac for sure. Just curious, what wine pairs best with Popeyes friend chicken? Or should I just stick to orange soda and spike it with rum.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
the difficult part for me would be to find a lady that would accompany me to such a culinary extravaganza. Sitting in a fast-food joint inhaling air grease is an aphrodisiac for sure. Just curious, what wine pairs best with Popeyes friend chicken? Or should I just stick to orange soda and spike it with rum.
This is why I read these boards 😍 (someone once said that to me lol)

Reactions: AlaPlaya and Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Chicken "dripping" in grease is a training and experience deficiency. It will come together just like any new launch. Don't forget these employees must be exhausted based on those insane lines around the block.
can you just imagine the fascinating conversation that goes on while standing in line waiting for deep fried wings. Gee.,didn't I see you hiking in the Himalayas or was it the Metro Museum of art in NYC

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
can you just imagine the fascinating conversation that goes on while standing in line waiting for deep fried wings. Gee.,didn't I see you hiking in the Himalayas or was it the Metro Museum of art in NYC
Hey, weren't you in the suite next to mine on the Singapore Airlines flight from Frankfurt to Tokyo? I knew that was you! (Grease dripping)

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
No Complaint about PRICES at Popeyes?? LMAO haha
Thats pretty funny, Maybe we are POOR here in the US then, because here they are being BOYCOTTED ( by People who used to be very LOYAL Customers, i used to go 3x a week ) for jumping from $9.99 to $16.99 for a Small Bucket of like 8 pcs . + they also eliminated the $5 specials completely... the $5 thing was huge a while back and would bring people in the door, and then you could UPSELL them.
And this was like 3 YEARS ago, Ever since that exact moment , their Parking lot & Drive Thru has been almost Empty every day .. I noticed this at several Locations , not just my local spot.. where they will surely Fail ..just like Boston Market Failed ..( another delusional Corporation)

Meanwhile Chic Fil A,, has a LINE of cars usually 15 Long ( there is a Reason for that too )
People are not stupid, t hey know quality and they know value and they know when you are ripping them off.
Meanwhile, KFC still runs that exact same $9.99 small Bucket SPECIAL as an ONLINE Order . to this day . How do they magically do that 3 years later ?
And yes , KFC quality varies from one store to the next . some are very very good , if they change their Oil and keep it clean ( a Chic Fil A MUST do , and one of their strict Codes )

Popeyes GREED will destroy them.. they are not worth the price .. I would rather go to a Real Restaurant . and have a Decent Meal for $20 than give them my money. or Chic Fil A .
Not in the DR, not in the US , not anywhere .

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Orange Soda with vodka would be my choice.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
To see the full menu:

The prices there are crazy, even soda for $115RD? Funny.
This is why chains like Denny's and others folded here. Greed. The owners take advantage of the clients with ridiculous prices. When they open it is great. Then after awhile the prices take it down. One of the principal reasons these places are a big success in the US is the cheap price for a meal. Here it is the same or more than a regular restaurant.............

Reactions: chicagoan14

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
No Complaint about PRICES at Popeyes?? LMAO haha
Thats pretty funny, Maybe we are POOR here in the US then, because here they are being BOYCOTTED ( by People who used to be very LOYAL Customers, i used to go 3x a week ) for jumping from $9.99 to $16.99 for a Small Bucket of like 8 pcs . + they also eliminated the $5 specials completely... the $5 thing was huge a while back and would bring people in the door, and then you could UPSELL them.
And this was like 3 YEARS ago, Ever since that exact moment , their Parking lot & Drive Thru has been almost Empty every day .. I noticed this at several Locations , not just my local spot.. where they will surely Fail ..just like Boston Market Failed ..( another delusional Corporation)

Meanwhile Chic Fil A,, has a LINE of cars usually 15 Long ( there is a Reason for that too )
People are not stupid, t hey know quality and they know value and they know when you are ripping them off.
Meanwhile, KFC still runs that exact same $9.99 small Bucket SPECIAL as an ONLINE Order . to this day . How do they magically do that 3 years later ?
And yes , KFC quality varies from one store to the next . some are very very good , if they change their Oil and keep it clean ( a Chic Fil A MUST do , and one of their strict Codes )

Popeyes GREED will destroy them.. they are not worth the price .. I would rather go to a Real Restaurant . and have a Decent Meal for $20 than give them my money. or Chic Fil A .
Not in the DR, not in the US , not anywhere .
Two things...

1. Popeyes just started in the DR. It makes no relevance what-so-ever what has been the trayectory of Popeyes in other countries. With that said, I think after the Covid pandemic, places like Popeyes make more sale via drive-thru and delivery than customer pick up and actually going to the restaurant and eat the meal there. The parking lots of KFC aren't that much different from Popeyes.

2. The woman in the video made another observation of her experience in Popeyes DR. It felt she was earing an real chicken vs in KFC where it felt she was eating something called a chicken but made of something else. Aka, Popeyes = real, KFC = fake. By all accountd, the opinion coming from Dominicans regarding Popeyes is that it is better / of higher quality than KFC.

The entire price and quality things don't appear to be relevant for Dominicans for the reason mentioned.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is why chains like Denny's and others folded here. Greed. The owners take advantage of the clients with ridiculous prices. When they open it is great. Then after awhile the prices take it down. One of the principal reasons these places are a big success in the US is the cheap price for a meal. Here it is the same or more than a regular restaurant.............
Dominicans didn't considered them as offering quality products unlike what so far is seen with Popeyes. The first requirement for a business to be successful is for their clients to like their products.

If you ever have managed a business, then you noticed that people always find the money for what they want even if it's very expensive, but will not spend much less on something they don't want. High price only becomes an issue if the client isn't completely sold on an expensive product. If they are, that some price that would had been an issue suddenly isn't and they miraculously have the moneu and are willing to pay the price with no complaint.

Similarly, something goes wrong after they put the order and the client will be angry until you offer them some money back. Nothing calms people faster than money. A lot of people claim they aren't materialistic, but what they say and what they do are two different things.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Two things...

1. Popeyes just started in the DR. It makes no relevance what-so-ever what has been the trayectory of Popeyes in other countries. With that said, I think after the Covid pandemic, places like Popeyes make more sale via drive-thru and delivery than customer pick up and actually going to the restaurant and eat the meal there. The parking lots of KFC aren't that much different from Popeyes.

2. The woman in the video made another observation of her experience in Popeyes DR. It felt she was earing an real chicken vs in KFC where it felt she was eating something called a chicken but made of something else. Aka, Popeyes = real, KFC = fake. By all accountd, the opinion coming from Dominicans regarding Popeyes is that it is better / of higher quality than KFC.

The entire price and quality things don't appear to be relevant for Dominicans for the reason mentioned.
I agree! I could never go to Outback or TGI Friday to have a meal. It's the same price as a decent restaurant here in the capital.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
i am surprised they're already on pedidos ya without mastering their in-person service. I went at 10:30, they opened at 11 on Sunday. The workers arrived at the same time i did?
There were already a long line of cars at the drive-thru.
By 11, there was at least 150 people there.
Then none of the registers work, they had to go and tell the people who had been in line all morning at the drive thru that they had to come in.
They opened 30 minutes late and served food at 11:45.

But the food was good. For some reason, i do feel like they pay closer to attention to quality control at American fast food restaurants here than in the states.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Two things...

A couple of Three Things ( Soprano;s reference for the slow laners)
1)- its My Opinion based on real observations , Restaurants Fail for very specific reasons . Its a topic which fascinates me .
. The Management team in the US may be different, but the Company Philosophy is the same Globally . or are you saying a Different Corporation runs Popeyes in the DR ?

2)- The Woman is the video is giving her " opinion" as well. their Fries are excellent , she is right .. as to the Chicken being "real" and KFC being " fake" , sounds like Slander to me , unless there is proof that KFC uses Fake chicken Parts ... again, her opinion, not based on any facts whatsoever ... Im assuming you made a Typo when you said "EARING" and meant Eating .

3)- The Price and quality thing is as relevant as it gets ... or perhaps you dont have people in your Family who worked in the Food Industry ..
If you owned one, I assure you that the slightest Price Change , affects the Bottom Line EXPONENTIALLY .
The Customer will either accept it , because your quality is so high, or they will reject you completely, which is what is happening to Popeyes .
Expanding in Markets outside the USA will not save them . Yes they had Explosive Growth , all the way through 2019. & then leveled off during Covid
( in the meantime Chic Fil A had their BIGGEST EARNINGS EVER During Covid ., how did they do it ? I know, maybe you can tell us though ? )
I hope you attempt to Repond to this part . because it extremely important ..
Corporate Philosophy, and brand Loyalty means everything, Having Systems in place for every single day to day Process is Key as well
Again Chic Fil A is a well oiled machine .. Popeyes is a Disaster on the Front line
They could not handle the Volume even if it was sent to them by some Miracle..
Any decent Chic Fil A Location is ready to serve 200 Customers Per HOUR ( 120 drive thru/ Hour , no problem) and I did not pull those #s out of my Arse ) .. No Popeyes Location could ever dream of such Volume .
and IMO, Popeyes has completely lost their way in terms of who their Customers are . and it will affect DR Sales, very soon.
Maybe they are hoping that the Dominicans are just not intelligent enough to figure out what a meal should Cost .
Popeyes have always had explosive Grand Openings , everywhere, but then they level off .
The only Increase in Revenue is NEW stores .. not repeat Business from long time/ Loyal Customers ..

Dominicans Have Budgets too , it is most certainly relevant ..

I predicted Boston Markets( formerly Boston Chicken ) Complete Failure , about 2 Years ago.. many in the food industry did.. they had No Vision whatsoever ,

BURGER KING has been going in this bad direction for a Long long time as well .. Ask anyone if they have had a Burger there lately ?
How many Locations have they Closed ? should I help you look it up ? 120 + in 2023 alone... why would you close a location ?
Guess who Owns Popeyes ? since 2017 ?

Reactions: chicagoan14

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I still believe the lines around the block will not last more than a week or 10 days.