Porsche Santo Domingo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you'd need to be an avid collector.... a lot of work.

you may be right... they want newer/better....

Old cars here ---- parts problems, mechanical issues, weather wear....
Long list

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Long list

yes, but since collector cars are not everyday drivers, those problems are not that prominent. i once had a 1966 Mustang, which i bought from a guy who brought it to NY from Scottsdale. the car had less than 10,000 miles on it. i bought it in 1984, and sold it in 1996. i never spent a dollar on it , outside of oil and filter.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
currently restoring this beauty on the northcoast, bought here, 1975, 2.7l a real classic, of course im not buying from ripoff peynado, all parts are available on ebay etc at actually reasonable prices, still need a few moons to finish this project.

2e3r5u1.jpg
[/IMG]

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Long list

Add destructive environment. These roads, other drivers, will destroy your car here. It is difficult to drive and keep a car nice in the US. Here its near impossible unless you leave it in the garage. Cobra or any other low to the road vehicle is a bad fit here.
Speed bumps are all over the place and you will ground out. Four wheel drive 3/4 ton truck is a good fit.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I have never seen so many banged up cars as I have in the Capital; everything from late model Beemers to tricked out Honda Civics and all the Jeepetas too. Wouldn't buy a new car here and having a hard time deciding if I should even consider used. I like to explore the side roads and judging from the obvious experts here, I'd have to get very high clearance and 4x4...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have never seen so many banged up cars as I have in the Capital; everything from late model Beemers to tricked out Honda Civics and all the Jeepetas too. Wouldn't buy a new car here and having a hard time deciding if I should even consider used. I like to explore the side roads and judging from the obvious experts here, I'd have to get very high clearance and 4x4...

even if i had the kind of money wherein i could buy a new car off the showroom floor, i would never do that here. it will not remain new for very long..

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
currently restoring this beauty on the northcoast, bought here, 1975, 2.7l a real classic, of course im not buying from ripoff peynado, all parts are available on ebay etc at actually reasonable prices, still need a few moons to finish this project.

2e3r5u1.jpg
[/IMG]

Do you drive it much?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I like looking at the older collectables .......and thinking about them

But buying them is a different story......buying them anywhere....

I get soft in the head every now/then..... but haven't caved yet

May 5, 2007
I like looking at the older collectables .......and thinking about them

But buying them is a different story......buying them anywhere....

I get soft in the head every now/then..... but haven't caved yet

Kind of like watching the auctions on TV From what I have seen I would never attempt a complete restoration or "upgrade," much much cheaper to buy one already done but of course some look a the restoration itself as much of the fun I have seen a lot of stuff under $30k that is simply gorgeous, no you can't find the rare ones at lower prices but unreal "drivers" are available

May 5, 2007
even if i had the kind of money wherein i could buy a new car off the showroom floor, i would never do that here. it will not remain new for very long..

what is it they say, the minute you drive off the showroom floor values drops 220-35% I believe Never was a Porsche fan, certainly not in the DR but I believe many buy Porsche's, Lamborghini's etc as one would collect Rolex watches, simply status symbols

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
what is it they say, the minute you drive off the showroom floor values drops 220-35% I believe Never was a Porsche fan, certainly not in the DR but I believe many buy Porsche's, Lamborghini's etc as one would collect Rolex watches, simply status symbols

of course. how many guys can drive these things anywhere near the potential of the car?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
sad this page doesnt take uploads

Hey dom, I restored this 1991 968 cabrio here.  Very rare and the only one in DR.  Bought it from a guy in Jarabacoa.

I try to drive it as often as I can.  The smiles per mile are limitless.

Getting parts for older Porsches is not a problem.  Ebay of course, Pelican Porsche in california and DC automotive, who are a Porsche breaking company.

If you fancy a chat, drop me a PM.

10580148_10152324677041553_4181526620116568112_n.jpg

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
i notice that most of these cars depicted in the video are really late model iterations, with very few, if any, iconic older models. that leads me to wonder if this is really some nouveau riche display of purchasing power, as opposed to a genuine love of the craftsmanship of the marque.

Bingo. Yes.