Power Company in Las Terrenas

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
Gosh and I thought that I lived in a quiet town...
Everybody was told in the new bill that they did not pay last month electricity bill, even if (as I) paid it. This might have lead to the huelga. Seems like the worst moment for this as administration is being taken over and reparation might take a long time. With all the police swarming the streets I think the coming nights will be quiet.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Counterproductive Riot

... and reparation might take a long time...

.... and money, too.
Thus would it not seem logical that the riot damages (done by unknown or pennyless hooligans) lead to higher costs for the consumers?? ;)

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
First Victim of the Riot

That is beyond comprehension. :speechles

But wait, there is more:
One of our farm hands just called us and said someone up here in Los Puentes was cutting a big mango tree near the road in order to block it.*
The falling tree killed a man on a moped...

donP

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I just heard there is a total power black-out right now in LT--- Does anyone know how long it is expected to continue? (yes, I
realize that's a rather dumb question; however, I'm in the states and trying to decide what to do about our guests arriving tomorrow... we don't have a generator! :( Thanks-

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
My rental agent emailed me this morning that it should last a couple of days Susan (not sure how she came to that conclusion though).

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thank you for that info! My guests are coming from Germany and I'm sure they're expecting peace+quiet... PLUS lights and Wifi and kitchen appliances--- This is nuts!

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Poor guests !

You may want to pm DonP, he is on the ground and has solar power ! :)
I hope this situation doesn't last too long as I will be there next month .

sixsticks

Feb 28, 2011
So sorry to read of these troubles in LT. I hope things are resolved quickly & peacefully for all of you there.
Still wrapping my head around how destruction of poles during rioting will not bring a solution, but only higher costs for all down the road, as mentioned in others' posts:(
DonP you graciously invited us to your finca last March. We didn't manage to connect...but I'm happy to know you're safe in the hills. With solar:)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Power in Some Parts

Parts of LT seem to have power restored, others not yet.
Nobody really knows whether the riots will flare up again at night.

donP

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Called my friend Annette, finally realizing that I should perhaps invite her and the kids to come here as they might not have water in a couple of days.. and she said that they ALREADY did not have water. They live in the center of town. But she says that they really are expecting that power will be restored by tomorrow. We did not talk long as I did not want to run down her cell phone.. but she said something about the folks feeling that they simply were not gong to get justice from the police and being fed up.

and then that Orsini still had the repair trucks and was trying to effect repairs.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Riots Continues

We were just told to better not go down to Las Terrenas (taking our children to school) because the PN is using teargas and shooting in the air to disperse rioters......

donP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
We were just told to better not go down to Las Terrenas (taking our children to school) because the PN is using teargas and shooting in the air to disperse rioters......

donP

Thanks for the update and stay safe.